CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Gas Tank Size

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 12:16 AM
CTDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Tank Size

Does anyone have any insights into the actual gas tank size?

I've had my CT for @ 3 months. Everytime I fill up, I generally put in @ 2.25 gallons per every 1/4 tank empty (ie if gauge reads 1/2 tank, I put in @ 4.5 gallons) always utilizing same filling method (2 clicks). With those numbers, for a empty tank I would probably put in about 9 gallons...the tank, per owners manual and specifications on web say the tank is 11.9 gallons. To further confuse things, when I look at cruising range based on gas left and avg mpg, the numbers don't work out to having 11.9 gallons. Can anyopne explain wy this is so? Are the extra gallons the reserve which is not measured by the gas gauge??
Old 07-06-11, 08:05 AM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by CTDriver
Does anyone have any insights into the actual gas tank size?

I've had my CT for @ 3 months. Everytime I fill up, I generally put in @ 2.25 gallons per every 1/4 tank empty (ie if gauge reads 1/2 tank, I put in @ 4.5 gallons) always utilizing same filling method (2 clicks). With those numbers, for a empty tank I would probably put in about 9 gallons...the tank, per owners manual and specifications on web say the tank is 11.9 gallons. To further confuse things, when I look at cruising range based on gas left and avg mpg, the numbers don't work out to having 11.9 gallons. Can anyopne explain wy this is so? Are the extra gallons the reserve which is not measured by the gas gauge??
I have the same beef with this car. Check out this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...-the-tank.html.
Old 07-11-11, 02:00 AM
CTDriver
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info...interesting thread.
Old 07-11-11, 09:02 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

I don't see the problem. In town I fill up at 1/2 tank and on the hwy I fill up at 1/4 tank. I don't see stated tank size or fuel remaining at empty mark being a problem since I don't let it get to the empty mark.
Old 07-11-11, 01:56 PM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by dkidwell
I don't see the problem. In town I fill up at 1/2 tank and on the hwy I fill up at 1/4 tank. I don't see stated tank size or fuel remaining at empty mark being a problem since I don't let it get to the empty mark.
The problem is having a fuel gauge that relates to 9 gallons instead of 11.9. I can't speak for CTDriver but that is irritating to me.
Old 07-11-11, 04:36 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

I have never had a car that was out of gas when it hit E on the gage. Why does it matter that there is 2.9 gallons remaining? I think that is good. Sorry I guess I just don't understand.
Old 07-12-11, 11:09 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJTIMMYD
The problem is having a fuel gauge that relates to 9 gallons instead of 11.9. I can't speak for CTDriver but that is irritating to me.
It's for those that you see on the side of the road walking with a gas can they just bought at a local gas station since they ran out of gas on the highway (I still don't understand that people do that to this day). I can see if you get stuck in a snow storm or something, but not on a nice day with no traffic. Are people really that clueless/careless?

I admit, for a car that gets well over 40 MPG, 2.9 gallons of reserve is a bit higher than the norm, but it's not a bad thing. If you're that upset about it, just run your car past "E" and keep on truckin', but you'll likely do damage to your car as I heard extra gas is needed in this car for some other reason (forgive me for not remembering what that was exactly).
Old 07-12-11, 12:59 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
If you're that upset about it, just run your car past "E" and keep on truckin', but you'll likely do damage to your car as I heard extra gas is needed in this car for some other reason (forgive me for not remembering what that was exactly).
If the fuel pump is in the gas tank, it may use the gas to keep it cool. If you run the tank dry, it will run without any 'coolant.'

Not sure if it will likely cause any damage but its probably not the best thing for it either.
Old 07-13-11, 07:47 AM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
It's for those that you see on the side of the road walking with a gas can they just bought at a local gas station since they ran out of gas on the highway (I still don't understand that people do that to this day). I can see if you get stuck in a snow storm or something, but not on a nice day with no traffic. Are people really that clueless/careless?

I admit, for a car that gets well over 40 MPG, 2.9 gallons of reserve is a bit higher than the norm, but it's not a bad thing. If you're that upset about it, just run your car past "E" and keep on truckin', but you'll likely do damage to your car as I heard extra gas is needed in this car for some other reason (forgive me for not remembering what that was exactly).
I have NEVER run out of gas. And if I did, I wouldn't turn around and blame the car company for not giving me enough reserve. I just think it's annoying that Lexus is treating us like children.

The whole fuel pump thing is a myth. I listen to Car Talk every week and they said that it won't hurt the car by running is down to when it near empty. I have always run my tank down to where a gallon or so is left in all the cars I've owned and I have never had any fuel issues.

I was expecting to get 400+ miles a tank out of this car especially since that's what it said in the brochure. The fact that my fuel light comes on at 320 miles even though I'm getting 44 mpg just doesn't make sense. I've been used to getting 30 or 40 miles after the light has come on in past cars and not having to worry. Having to go 80 to 100 just is too much for my brain to handle without worrying about running out of gas even though I know there is a lot more gas left in the tank.
Old 07-13-11, 09:28 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

Isn't it nice the car is so good, we have such minor things to worry about.

Last edited by dkidwell; 07-13-11 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 12:12 AM
CTDriver
Driver School Candidate

I agree with DJTIMMYD that this is quite annoying. Yes, its nice to have so much in reserve, but I don't think that 2.9 gallows or so is necessary on a car that gets in excess of 40MPG.

In response to keeping the tank above 1/4 full - this is not always an option. This past week I was driving around in the Sierras trying to get to a National Monument and for over 100 miles, there was no gas stations to fill up. Luckily, I planned ahead and only let the tank get down to 1/2 full while driving around in the area. Either way, with the CT luckily, I wouldn't run out of gas, but in unknown areas, this can be an uneasy feeling.
Old 07-15-11, 07:23 AM
johnsea06
2nd gear

I do not think the entire 11.9g in the tank is necessarily usable/accessible. I had a diesel truck with a 45g tank that would run dry at 42.5g.. fuel can get caught up in the baffled sections of the tank, not making it to the pickup.. parking on an incline makes a difference for some vehicles..
Old 07-19-11, 07:55 AM
TheStigSC
Pole Position

I don't want to offend anyone here, but lets look at it this way:

You have an 11.9gal gas tank but your gauge reads 9gal. When your light comes on, if you've gone around 360 miles if you've averaged 40mpg. Then you fill up your gas tank and put approx. 9gal back in, not 11.9gal. You still only pay for the gas you use and you go about 360 miles on a tank (or 3/4 or a tank depending how you look at it) and still get double the milage than my SC300 with bad a O2 sensor.

Bottom line---CT200h=win

Old 07-19-11, 08:33 AM
DJTIMMYD
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
I don't want to offend anyone here, but lets look at it this way:

You have an 11.9gal gas tank but your gauge reads 9gal. When your light comes on, if you've gone around 360 miles if you've averaged 40mpg. Then you fill up your gas tank and put approx. 9gal back in, not 11.9gal. You still only pay for the gas you use and you go about 360 miles on a tank (or 3/4 or a tank depending how you look at it) and still get double the milage than my SC300 with bad a O2 sensor.

Bottom line---CT200h=win

Well that's not exactly how it works out. The light comes on at around 7 gallons so you will have only gone 280 miles at that point. The only way you'll get to 9 gallons is if you go way below the E hash mark.
Old 07-19-11, 12:26 PM
Jedi767
Driver School Candidate

Wish they would fix this.. I love going long range, but dont have the mindset to let it go so far past empty.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Size