CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Installing rear backup camera on CT200H

Old 06-03-11, 07:26 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing rear backup camera on CT200H

Hi Everyone
I'm going tobe installing a back up camera and a rear view mirror with built in lcd.
Had a question on where to mount the camera in the rear.
Looking @ the pics from sewell and some factory installed pictures, it looks like the camera is mounted on the left side but its flush mounted. Unlike the prius, the CT doesnt have a "pop out" panel for the camera.

Looking on ebay, there hasnt been a license plate light camera replacement made yet for the CT.

Boyo VTK200C is a universal mounted camera or a licenese plate hole mounted camera.

What would be people's preference if you were to install that?
1: Drill a hole and mount it onto the trunk itself
2:Mount it on one of the license plate holes
3. Mount it onto the license plate light itself, drilling a hole through the lamp light itself and it would

OR does any one have anyother options? I am not comfortable cutting in to the trunk to make it a flush mount although that is the look i prefer becasue i do not want the camer to stand out too much.
Old 06-03-11, 08:53 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had a Kenwood DNX6960 installed at Car Toys and while I was wandering around the store I saw some license plate frame cameras that look nice, not obtrusive and eliminate the need to drill holes in your car. That kind if thing might be a good interim solution until there are more accessories for your car.

Once the car is wired you can change the camera easily in the future.
Old 06-03-11, 09:00 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carver
I just had a Kenwood DNX6960 installed at Car Toys and while I was wandering around the store I saw some license plate frame cameras that look nice, not obtrusive and eliminate the need to drill holes in your car. That kind if thing might be a good interim solution until there are more accessories for your car.

Once the car is wired you can change the camera easily in the future.
Thanks, boyo actually makes one like that.. i havent had a chance to take off the back panel but i dont know if i can feed in the wires from the frame through front without drilling a hole (which i want to avoid) or then having to run the line from the behind the plate up to the lights where it will be very visible. I like your idea about waiting for more accessories to come out as long as the wires are run, thats why im hesitant to drill any holes or make any cutouts
Old 06-03-11, 09:44 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never looked at the back of those but would it be possible to run a flat cable through the backup light opening? Flat cable are available for most applications.
Old 06-03-11, 10:23 AM
is250cpo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carver
I've never looked at the back of those but would it be possible to run a flat cable through the backup light opening? Flat cable are available for most applications.
i think you can, but based the CT's configuration, you will need to run the wires exposes from the license plate to the light which is located under the lid of the licenes plate roof area.
Old 06-27-11, 09:58 PM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking of installing the auto dimming mirror with back up camera. It is an actual Lexus accessory. Does anybody have the install instructions for me to look at before I make the plunge?
Old 06-28-11, 06:43 PM
als
Driver School Candidate

I am installing the Gentex 3545 that has Compass, Homelink, Auto Dimming, Backup Cam/Video In, along with the Prodigy GPS that feeds the video input and switches between the Backup Cam and GPS. The Prodigy has a wireless handheld controller to access all the system features and you can add Bluetooth, WiFi and Radar Detector to the system. For a backup camera I ordered one designed for the Toyota Camry that will mount under the hatch lip next to the handle but I will have to cut a hole for mounting.