CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Should I trade in my Prius? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 07:32 PM
Bash4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade in my Prius? Please help

I know most of you probably hate the Prius but I don't, my wife does. I just bought a 2010 III w/JBL and I'm pretty happy with it. I have had it for three weeks and drive 72 miles per day. I do love the look, drive, and feel of the CT though. I did not know the CT was comming out or I would have bought it. Can I justify $13,000 more for a CT that gets 42mpg. Please help
Old 03-24-11, 10:34 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say don't.
1. Poor MPG compared to Prius.
2. IMO the CT is rather ugly.
3. I sat in it and felt nothing like a Lexus.
4. Fake leather
But if you got money to burn go for it.
Old 03-25-11, 12:09 AM
cenix
Driver

i think the answer is no, too, but regarding pavelekpl's response, i would disagree with number 2 the most. i think the looks of the car is one of the best things going for it, especially if you compare it in context to a prius.
Old 03-25-11, 12:27 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

depends on what you're looking for. styling plays a big factor in my car selection, so if it were me, i would because i think the CT looks great! And based on people's review on here, handling of the CT is great too especially in sport mode. i sat in it briefly at auto show, and didn't really have any immediate complaints...thought it looks quite nice.

know that objectively speaking it wouldn't make financial sense. But in the end, the decision is yours. i think the first thing you need to ask yourself is if you would mind the lower mpg of the CT and if any trade-in loss/increased payment would pose a problem for you. If not, then just follow your heart (i know cliche). Having a car you love and looking forward to driving it every time you sit in it is a great feeling. of course that may not matter to everyone.
Old 03-25-11, 01:03 AM
MrKV
Rookie

I don't like either, but if I were in your situation I would definitely stick with the Prius just because of the MPG and also more money in your pocket!
Old 03-25-11, 01:05 AM
nine3es
Lead Lap

its better than a prius but damn, there are about a million other cars out there i would choose over either of those two...
Old 03-25-11, 06:40 AM
Gbrewer
Driver School Candidate

I say go for it! I saw an all black one with dark tinited windows from a distance and didn't have a clue what it was till it came in towards me closer. I must say, it did have me staring pretty hard. lol, more than I thought.
Old 03-25-11, 06:48 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash4
I know most of you probably hate the Prius but I don't, my wife does. I just bought a 2010 III w/JBL and I'm pretty happy with it. I have had it for three weeks and drive 72 miles per day. I do love the look, drive, and feel of the CT though. I did not know the CT was comming out or I would have bought it. Can I justify $13,000 more for a CT that gets 42mpg. Please help
If you want a fuel efficient hybrid, the Lexus is probably the one. It is a well made luxury car. Especially if well optioned. The details are quality and better than some of the more expensive models like the IS and ES.

That said I don't know why your wife hates the prius. If she doesn't like the sensation of driving a hybrid, she probably won't like the CT either. I am in that camp myself - I don't like the engine switching off so the car sits completely silent at lights. I also don't like the CVT.

But if I had to have a Hybrid that does >40mpg, then the CT is probably the best one.
Old 03-25-11, 08:21 AM
Titanjose
Driver School Candidate

I say go for it! The CT wins hands down in terms of looks, comfort, and that quiet luxury ride compared to the Prius.

We were shopping for a fuel-efficient car weeks ago and test drove the Prius iV, Ford Fusion Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, Lexus HS, and the Lexus CT. My wife and I narrowed it down to the two Lexuses (HS or CT). I so wanted the CT but wasn't practical for our situation. We have two kids and the back was a bit cramped. We opted for the HS due to its more spacious interior compared to CT.
Old 03-25-11, 08:30 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanjose
I say go for it! The CT wins hands down in terms of looks, comfort, and that quiet luxury ride compared to the Prius.

We were shopping for a fuel-efficient car weeks ago and test drove the Prius iV, Ford Fusion Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, Lexus HS, and the Lexus CT. My wife and I narrowed it down to the two Lexuses (HS or CT). I so wanted the CT but wasn't practical for our situation. We have two kids and the back was a bit cramped. We opted for the HS due to its more spacious interior compared to CT.
Yeah HS is the way to go if you have kids. CT is small.
Old 03-25-11, 09:25 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The CT and Prius are two totally different cars. Both are hybrid of course but they both appeal to different demographics and tastes.

Reasons why you want to upgrade into a CT:

1) Lexus ownership experience. Lexus Loaner car privileges during services is a huge plus.

2) The interior is a lot more comfortable for long drives. The seating position and the seat bolstering are much more comfortable. The steering wheel is much nicer and the interior is cabin much more quieter than the Prius.

3) Fun to drive. Thanks to the seating position and suspension characteristics. Even though you only have 142 hp to work with, you can take the CT on twisty roads and have plenty of fun. You don't have that feeling in the Prius.

4) The CT has a smaller footprint than the Prius so its much easier to get around in city driving and awesome to park in tight spaces.

5) Better warranty. 4 year/50k bumper to bumper and 6 year/70k mile powertrain, 8 year/100k mile warranty for hybrid components.
Old 03-25-11, 09:38 AM
TYPEII
Racer

I say CT!

Prius says, Old Conservative.
CT says, Young and Hip, Fun, Sexy, Out going, Green...
Old 03-25-11, 09:58 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Depends on what you are used to- i have a prius i thought i would burn it the same week- but for commuter car/ at 450 miles a week for me i would take it over any car-CT is nice but i would not get rid of the prius for it prius is little more roomy inside not sure if you have any kids?, I thought of selling my ISF+ prius and get a CT but its not nice enough to convince me..i would rather get a Diesel TDI BMW/ Audi.

One hybrid for another no way- does not make sense for at all..similar performance ...get some lowering springs and drop the prius/wider tires or rims will make it handle just as well..+ better gas milegae...if you are doing it just for looks go for it- i hate the way prius looks but it saves me gas money that i can put in LX.. for wife...lol - CT is hot- but again its your call-

Old 03-25-11, 11:52 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be a lot more than $13000 difference in price, especially if you are trading it at the Lexus dealer. Be sure to take something soft with you to land on when you faint from the insultingly low offer they put in front of you.
Old 03-25-11, 12:42 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
It will be a lot more than $13000 difference in price, especially if you are trading it at the Lexus dealer. Be sure to take something soft with you to land on when you faint from the insultingly low offer they put in front of you.

Shop your trade in to every Lexus dealership within 500 miles. I was able to get $6000 more than the initial lowball by just shooting out a mass email and fielding the calls. The dealerships don't like it, but with an offer like the one I initially got, they earned it.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my Prius? Please help