"B" mode for downhill

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 07:57 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default "B" mode for downhill

To the new owners of CT200h,

I wonder when the car is going from the top of the hill where for normal cars, a 1st gear is required to reduce brake wear, how effective is the "B" mode?
Old 03-16-11, 09:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL

I wonder when the car is going from the top of the hill where for normal cars, a 1st gear is required to reduce brake wear, how effective is the "B" mode?
B mode is very effective as it uses engine braking to help slow down the car. I use it frequently in all the hybrids I drive, Prius, HS and CT of course. Also because of increased pedal sensitivity, throttle response is a little more lively.
Old 03-16-11, 04:40 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL

Glad you brought this up, because I hadn't used it before reading this. Prompted me to try it today, and also do some research on how it operates.

The gist, for those who were as lost as I was: B mode does operate as more aggressive engine braking. It's rather dramatic.... enough actually, that you need to pay attention to cars behind you, because you will be slowing more rapidly than they expect with no brake lights indicating.

Apparently it does nothing for fuel economy under most conditions, and actually wastes some gas at times with energy being scrubbed. It's primary use would be for situations like you describe, long hills to keep the brakes from heating up/wearing excessively. Cool stuff.
Old 03-25-11, 11:52 PM
DelSter196
Driver School Candidate

i live on top of a hill and its a nifty little thing
Old 03-26-11, 04:36 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Glad you brought this up, because I hadn't used it before reading this. Prompted me to try it today, and also do some research on how it operates.

The gist, for those who were as lost as I was: B mode does operate as more aggressive engine braking. It's rather dramatic.... enough actually, that you need to pay attention to cars behind you, because you will be slowing more rapidly than they expect with no brake lights indicating.

Apparently it does nothing for fuel economy under most conditions, and actually wastes some gas at times with energy being scrubbed. It's primary use would be for situations like you describe, long hills to keep the brakes from heating up/wearing excessively. Cool stuff.
Doesn't it charge the batteries during this process though?
Old 03-26-11, 05:32 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Doesn't it charge the batteries during this process though?
It does, but apparently no more effectively than just coasting and letting wheel spin do the recharging. The extra engine braking saves brakes, but apparently exhausts most of the kinetic energy overboard. The brakes themselves do a much better job of recovering battery power.

Now I'm about as far from being am expert on this topic as you can possibly be... I'm just going on what I learned online from doing a search. The consensus of what I read was that it is wasted energy in most cases, and actually hurts your MPG. It DOES save brake wear, but on this car I don't think that will be too much of an issue.
Old 03-26-11, 10:14 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by mm767cap
It does, but apparently no more effectively than just coasting and letting wheel spin do the recharging. The extra engine braking saves brakes, but apparently exhausts most of the kinetic energy overboard. The brakes themselves do a much better job of recovering battery power.

Now I'm about as far from being am expert on this topic as you can possibly be... I'm just going on what I learned online from doing a search. The consensus of what I read was that it is wasted energy in most cases, and actually hurts your MPG. It DOES save brake wear, but on this car I don't think that will be too much of an issue.
The only application for the "B" mode is when you're going down long hills where the battery gets fully charged. The Hybrid Synergy Drive really hates to have it's battery topped off. In fact, in some cases, the electric motor will spin the engine just to burn off an overcharge. When the battery is fully charged, the regen braking is reduced and you have to rely solely on the real brakes. In this case, "B" mode will save your brakes.
Old 04-16-13, 02:16 AM
tezzmezz
Driver School Candidate

Great post! I was really wondering what the B mode was all about.
This makes a lot of sense too, since the is no option in the car to shift (& lock) the gear into 1st or 2nd, which is handy when going downhill.
Old 04-16-13, 09:11 AM
rvpps2roks
Driver School Candidate

one thing i noticed is that if you change to "B" mode and come to a stop the engine will remain on and idle and as soon as you shift back to "D" the engine will shut down as it normally does at stop lights or when it "idles"