CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Another CT bonus the media is missing. Very low maintenance costs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Post Another CT bonus the media is missing. Very low maintenance costs!

Had a talk with a product expert for Lexus and he explained to me that one of the huge benefits of the CT is the low cost of maintenance. It is something I haven't thought of too much so it is a great point. Our hybrids thankfully have no additional maintenance to a conventional car, they run like regular cars. However the CT has some bonuses
1. Will use synthetic oil with a 10,000 mile change recommendation.
2. Lower weight, smaller brakes=less costly brake jobs and possibly as high as 80-100k without major brake service.
3. No belts! There are no belts to change in the engine compartment. This is usually a costly job at some major service intervals. (even the HS has one belt)
4. Proven hybrid tech from the Prius. They are confident the batteries are long lasting with zero to minimal problems.
Old 02-23-11, 02:13 PM
WAES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2. Lower weight, smaller brakes=less costly brake jobs and possibly as high as 80-100k without major brake service.
I'm sure the breaks are the same regenerative system as in the Prius. In the Prius, the regen slows down the car substantially, and the actual break pads aren't used until the last few MPH's before coming to a stop.

I believe edmunds had their long term 2004 Prius and they never had to change the break pads, with 80K+ miles when they were done with it.

Pretty cool, I think!
Old 02-23-11, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by WAES300
I'm sure the breaks are the same regenerative system as in the Prius. In the Prius, the regen slows down the car substantially, and the actual break pads aren't used until the last few MPH's before coming to a stop.

I believe edmunds had their long term 2004 Prius and they never had to change the break pads, with 80K+ miles when they were done with it.

Pretty cool, I think!
Exactly what was mentioned!
Old 02-24-11, 05:42 AM
Bob259
Driver

.........1. Will use synthetic oil with a 10,000 mile change recommendation...................
However, this is not a Toyota/Lexus break through. I was told at the dealer that the government was instructing the manufactures/dealers to increase oil change intervals. Ones that were even listed at 5K the dealer said it was acceptable to go to 7.5K, but that the government was pushing for the 10K interval.

Another example of the government and politicians thinking they know more about cars then the people do.... I think not!!! Kind of like E15 is good for us.

Last edited by Bob259; 02-24-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 06:22 AM
LexFather

^^Never mentioned it was a break through . Some German cars have 10-20k intervals, the computer tells the owner/service when to change the oil.

With low power and high technology I can understand how the CT can go longer in regards to oil changes.

I agree E15 is horrid.
Old 02-24-11, 09:38 PM
pchea1088
Driver School Candidate

Had a talk with a product expert for Lexus and he explained to me that one of the huge benefits of the CT is the low cost of maintenance. It is something I haven't thought of too much so it is a great point. Our hybrids thankfully have no additional maintenance to a conventional car, they run like regular cars. However the CT has some bonuses
1. Will use synthetic oil with a 10,000 mile change recommendation.
3. No belts! There are no belts to change in the engine compartment. This is usually a costly job at some major service intervals. (even the HS has one belt)
4. Proven hybrid tech from the Prius. They are confident the batteries are long lasting with zero to minimal problems.
What is your opinion on an extended warranty for the CT? I will be purchasing soon and I'm not sure if I should spring for the warranty or not. The Prius is a very reliable vehicle (or so I'm told), so I don't want to get caught paying a couple grand for 'peace of mind.'
Old 02-24-11, 11:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Not a hybrid story but my 04 IS300 had brakes that lasted 80k in the fronts and 95k in the rears. Toyota/Lexus puts together the best OEM brakes in the business. I see the CT doing the same if not longer as the pads on the car are not sport/agressive. Plus the regen braking and resistance helps slow the car down instead of eating up the brake pads. The CT will go a long way with very little coin.
Old 02-25-11, 01:01 AM
pchea1088
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not a hybrid story but my 04 IS300 had brakes that lasted 80k in the fronts and 95k in the rears. Toyota/Lexus puts together the best OEM brakes in the business. I see the CT doing the same if not longer as the pads on the car are not sport/agressive. Plus the regen braking and resistance helps slow the car down instead of eating up the brake pads. The CT will go a long way with very little coin.
Thanks for the input.

I know I'll be paying close to sticker for the CT, so I'm trying to keep costs down wherever I can. CT with navigation package will probably run me around 40k after California tax and registration, so it's a little hard to swallow.
Old 02-25-11, 02:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pchea1088
Thanks for the input.

I know I'll be paying close to sticker for the CT, so I'm trying to keep costs down wherever I can. CT with navigation package will probably run me around 40k after California tax and registration, so it's a little hard to swallow.
Well no one ever thought the IS line would go past the 40k mark MSRP...let alone the F going for over $60k. The CT is in a great price point. Its more than just buying the car, its buying the experience in Lexus ownership.
Old 02-25-11, 05:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pchea1088
What is your opinion on an extended warranty for the CT? I will be purchasing soon and I'm not sure if I should spring for the warranty or not. The Prius is a very reliable vehicle (or so I'm told), so I don't want to get caught paying a couple grand for 'peace of mind.'
Well how long do you plan to keep the car? I have extended warranties on our RX 400h to 8/125k though to date the technology has been very reliable.

It also covers things that can go like a CD player, etc. You have the option to add a warranty later on before the car goes out of warranty, you just have to pay out of pocket instead of it bundled in the payment.

I would skip the warranty since the car is covered and after a couple of years with more owners we can assess any potential problem areas.
Old 02-25-11, 09:31 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Hi,

I have a Prius with over 150K miles on it and I've never had to do anything to the brakes (nor anything else for that matter).

However, I change the oil regularly every 5K and the oil always looks spent. I haven't had any analysis or anything done to it (Mfg. recommends 5K), but I figure with the engine constantly starting and stopping takes it's toll on the oil.

Based upon what I've seen, I would be concerned with changing oil every 10K. Of course synthetic will make a difference to some degree.
Old 03-01-11, 01:28 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

And the front brakes are smaller than the rear because of regen braking. Wierd. But saves weight.
Old 03-04-11, 06:36 AM
fleishelja
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

A few more points not mentioned on cost of ownership of a CT

-No timing belt to replace
-No starter to go bad
-hybrid battery life is equal to the life of the car
-no transmission, first service of hybrid drive unit isn't until 100k miles.
-you can rotate tires (that will be nice for IS owners )
-tire size is the most common size tire ever! 215/45/17= cheap replacements
-Our new model preview instructor said he averaged 57mpg coming from Alabama to GA.
Old 03-04-11, 07:38 AM
dgstan
Rookie

Originally Posted by fleishelja
-tire size is the most common size tire ever! 215/45/17= cheap replacements
This is interesting. I didn't know that, but it's good news.

Originally Posted by fleishelja
-Our new model preview instructor said he averaged 57mpg coming from Alabama to GA.
This, however, can't possibly be correct.
Old 03-04-11, 07:54 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would be very disappointed if I got less than 75K out of a set of brake pads, on any Toyota/Lexus. The only exception to that would be heavy trucks (Tundra/Land Cruiser/LX, etc). I have actually gone over 100K on almost all of my cars, I got 125K on my ES before they needed changing, and actually they were still OK, I just thought the rotors were getting too rusty so I changed everything.

Pretty much all synthetic oils can go 10-15K with no troubles, but a lot of it comes down to how "tight" is the engine and how good is the filter. Excessive blow-by in an older high-mileage engine can contaminate the oil faster. I also don't like going over 6-8 months between oil changes.

I am a big believer in synthetic oil, but I typically drive my pickup only about 3-5000 miles a year, so I'll be going back to dyno oil when I get it back on the road.

Quick Reply: Another CT bonus the media is missing. Very low maintenance costs!