CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Where's Mark? Levinson that is.

Old 01-04-11, 01:14 PM
Mr.W
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's Mark? Levinson that is.

OK, so all of the initial marketing material had the ML logo on the internal shots of the audio system...at the L.A. driving event in October I saw no ML logo, and the Lexus people confirmed that ML was not an option, though they couldn't confirm if it was an allocation issue - or it wouldn't be offered. Looking at the options, it looks like we get a "Premium" upgrade, which I guess is the ML just not in name...

So, my question is this: is ML not in the cards for the CT? If so, is it because maybe there was a licensing fee they needed to avoid in order to keep the Ct price low?
Old 01-04-11, 01:51 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Perhaps it doesn't sound that great in low-volume cabins, so the premium system may not be all that different.. I'm sure they're working on it, and my guess it could show up in later years. I had ML on LS460 and later, a 600. I got used to it quite fast, so much so that I chose not to have it in my RX. Aficionados may disagree, but that's been my take on it...
Old 01-04-11, 05:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Mark Levinson Audio is not available for the CT in the United States. All the photos that we have first seen are from the European spec CT 200h. It's not available here because it would drive the price of the CT to near $50k. I have listened to both ML and Premium Audio back to back in the Euro spec CT when I was in France for the Global Press Event. The sound is very comparable.

My last 2 Lexus have Mark Levinson (07 GS350 and current 09 IS F). Don't get me wrong I love ML in my cars but to be honest, I don't really use the extra capabilities as much. I even have a DVD/NAV override in my F so I can watch movies while I drive, but I haven't done that in a long while. The Lexus Premium Audio is a very capable system and I think they did a pretty good job with it. It sounds as good if not better than the Lexus Premium audio that was standard in the 1st Gen IS300.
Old 01-04-11, 07:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Strange ML isn't even an option on the CT in the US. Then again, maybe Lexus sees very little demand for it here? I think with enough customer interest it could certainly be offered.
Old 01-04-11, 09:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Strange ML isn't even an option on the CT in the US. Then again, maybe Lexus sees very little demand for it here? I think with enough customer interest it could certainly be offered.
ML is rarely ordered the lower end of the line (IS and HS). The only time it comes on the car is if it's special ordered or you have an ISF which 9 out of 10 come with ML packaged into the car. There are no plans to bring ML to the CT in the USA as well as Park Assist.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...-lexus-hq.html
Old 01-05-11, 09:42 AM
Mr.W
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
I have listened to both ML and Premium Audio back to back in the Euro spec CT when I was in France for the Global Press Event. The sound is very comparable.
That's good that you made that comparison, because that was my hope - that it's still ML-esque, just not in name.

I had an IS with ML, then went right into an IS without ML - the difference was incredible. The stock system is really great...it really is, BUT the ML in such a confined space was awesome. I give a lot of credit to the speaker count, but the subwoofer deserves a big pat on the back too...it didn't even occur to me to look and see if the CT had a subwoofer when I drove it. With a nice even 10 speaker count, looks like the odd-subwoofer didn't make the cut. Still, I'm hoping maybe it's because it has two smaller sub-woofers in the back...one can hope
Old 01-05-11, 10:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Mr.W
That's good that you made that comparison, because that was my hope - that it's still ML-esque, just not in name.

I had an IS with ML, then went right into an IS without ML - the difference was incredible. The stock system is really great...it really is, BUT the ML in such a confined space was awesome. I give a lot of credit to the speaker count, but the subwoofer deserves a big pat on the back too...it didn't even occur to me to look and see if the CT had a subwoofer when I drove it. With a nice even 10 speaker count, looks like the odd-subwoofer didn't make the cut. Still, I'm hoping maybe it's because it has two smaller sub-woofers in the back...one can hope
No dedicated sub unfortnately, but the 2 way speakers have adequate bass. It's a step above the previous stock 2nd gen IS without ML. As a matter of fact the Premium Audio in the non ML 2nd Gen IS with 6th Gen NAV is a huge improvement over the previous.
Old 01-05-11, 08:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
ML is rarely ordered the lower end of the line (IS and HS). The only time it comes on the car is if it's special ordered or you have an ISF which 9 out of 10 come with ML packaged into the car. There are no plans to bring ML to the CT in the USA as well as Park Assist.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...-lexus-hq.html
Thanks for the info, I figured demand was probably too low.