CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT 200h Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 01:09 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[B][U]
Would we buy 1 over a Prius? Not likely. If fuel-efficiency is your #1 priority, an upper-level Prius 4 undercuts the CT by $2,000. A mid-range Prius can be had for thousands less.]
I'm always amazed when people assume the styling of the CT and a Prius are interchangeable The Prius is a hideous looking car and the CT looks pretty darn good. That's worth money in my book. Lets face it even if a Pontiac Aztek performed like an M3 they still wouldn't have sold many of them!

Now that the CT 200h has been fully tested by CR, it sits in our lot among the Jeep Compass, Nissan Versa, and various Honda Civics as the least sought-after cars to drive.
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Really! A lot of free cars to drive where you don't have to pay for gas or insurance and people pick the higher performance ones. Go figure whoda thunk that. Brilliant observations!
Old 04-09-12, 02:26 PM
Irishpilot
Driver School Candidate

If I came to this site and read the 'professional' reviews of this car...I would never have given it a second look. I saw one driving in traffic, liked the look and said, "Hmmm...it's a Lexus." I naturally assumed I was looking at car in the $40K price range and was presently surprised that it started at $29K and got over 40 miles to the gallon. When I drove it and experienced all the technology in the car, I was sold. Is it a sports car? No. Is it a fun, extremely comfortable (what were the reviewers driving?), technology enhanced hybrid and I frankly don't give a crap if the 'professional' car reviewers don't like it...I like it! And, since I am the one is actually buying it...that is all that matters! Great car, great price...fun to drive!
Old 05-01-12, 03:40 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishpilot
If I came to this site and read the 'professional' reviews of this car...I would never have given it a second look. I saw one driving in traffic, liked the look and said, "Hmmm...it's a Lexus." I naturally assumed I was looking at car in the $40K price range and was presently surprised that it started at $29K and got over 40 miles to the gallon. When I drove it and experienced all the technology in the car, I was sold. Is it a sports car? No. Is it a fun, extremely comfortable (what were the reviewers driving?), technology enhanced hybrid and I frankly don't give a crap if the 'professional' car reviewers don't like it...I like it! And, since I am the one is actually buying it...that is all that matters! Great car, great price...fun to drive!
Well said!
Old 05-02-12, 01:12 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1....that was pretty much the exact same experience I had. I had been waiting for a good looking hatchback (to get a little bit of space to carry items) with most of the creature comforts (why can't you find a small car with upscale interior) that would be economical to maintain (I don't mind paying on the front end to save money every year for over 10 years).

Sold my GS.....bought the Special Edition CT.....put a real sound system in.....and don't plan on looking back. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old 05-30-12, 08:05 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

if you are looking for an entry level luxury, the CT when put side by side a 3 series and a C class, I think it s No brainer. The savings on Gasoline alone should be enough selling point. but i guess people want power over economy.
Old 07-15-12, 11:05 AM
jclevesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brainer is that speed and danger seems better than control, safety and enjoyement. Why don't I see more CTs on the road? 8000 km and I love my car.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (09-20-18)
Old 08-01-12, 08:40 AM
hookah66
Driver School Candidate

Default is ct200H gonna be a flop???

I certainly hope not, but it seemed to be going into that direction like the hill fated hs250H. IMO ct200H has not found its niche yet. What I mean, is that it is economical but failed to make the epa's Clean Vehicle Program like its cousin Prius; its is luxurious but ain't got HID headlights either; and it is impossible to get with leather seating either... and now with the introduction of a true super hybrid the es300H... The focus is certainly on the es300H which got a follower a much robust group of owners .... go and figure out what Lexus marketers are trying to accomplish ...

Last edited by hookah66; 08-01-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-11-12, 12:52 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Quick Spin

As we discovered the first time we spent a week with 1, the Lexus CT 200h is an intriguingly Euro-centric player in the entry tier of the premium market. With a starting price of $29,120 in 2012 (plus $895 for delivery), the CT represents the least expensive way to get into a new Lexus. At that price, it seems like a reasonable choice. For just a few dollars short of $40,000, our test car – a loaded F Sport model, a new trim level for 2012 – lost pretty much all of its value proposition. Still, the CT is an entertaining small hatchback that returns excellent fuel mileage.

Driving Notes:

134 total horsepower – 98 from the 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine and the rest from the integrated electric motor – and 105 pound-feet of torque isn't enough gumption to earn a badge with the word 'Sport'. 0-60 takes 9.8 seconds and the top speed is just 113 miles per hour. The base Fiat 500, which has been called every variation of the world slow, is just as quick, albeit with a manual gearbox.
We've never been big fans of continuously variable transmissions, and the one used in the CT hybrid isn't going to change our minds. The engine drones at 4,000 RPM way too often, especially in Sport mode.
We wish there was an option to default the CT to Sport mode, as its more aggressive throttle mapping and quicker steering setup makes the CT much more engaging to drive. Plus, we prefer the digital tach display in Sport over the normal Eco dummy gauge that appears left of the central speedometer.
Eco mode turns the act of driving the CT 200h into a chore, yet it doesn't seem to have any meaningful impact on fuel mileage in regular driving. While it won't remember to start in Sport, it will remember to put you in Eco mode if that's how it was set when the car was last shut off. That's irritating.
F Sport mods don't make the CT 200h any quicker, but we're told handling has been improved a notch through retuned suspension bits. We found the CT F Sport's ride and handling compromise to be just right for Goldilocks. As far as appearances go, we dig the funky duds and think the F Sport bodykit and bespoke wheels are well done.
Why reinvent the gear-shifter? A little T-shaped nub sticks out of the center stack, with an offbeat h-pattern that requires an additional button labeled 'P' to put into park. Is this really necessary? Plus, a sporty car in this price bracket that doesn't offer a manual transmission really ought to feature paddles.
The 2012 CT uses an older version of Remote Touch control than the brand-new GS. Although it does include haptic feedback, it does not allow the directional controller to double as a selector. Instead, there's a separate 'Enter' button on either side. Not our favorite way to move a cursor or make selections. We also found ourselves bumping the joystick when using the climate and audio controls or when resting our arms on the console.
This is a small car. While I was able to fit my 6-foot, 2-inch frame comfortably behind the wheel, don't expect adults to spend too much time in the back. On the plus side, there's a reasonable 14.3 cubic feet of storage under the hatch with the seats up.
Fuel mileage remains a strong suit. We weren't able to match the EPA-estimated 43 city/40 highway, but we hauled four adults (driver included) around Phoenix, Arizona for an afternoon with the air conditioner blasting and still recorded mileage in the high 30s.
Old 10-30-12, 06:54 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post TFLcar

The 2013 Acura RDX and the Lexus CT 200h F-Sport and Volvo S60 T5 AWD all cost about $40,000 USD.

They also represent 3 very different types of affordable luxury cars.

The second generation RDX is a entry level luxury crossover, while the Lexus CT 200h F-Sport is an entry level luxury hybrid and the Volvo S60 T5 is an all wheel drive entry level luxury sedan.

We of course wanted to know what the best afford luxury car was for $40,000 USD.

Is it the Crossover, the Hybrid or the sedan?

In this fun TFLcar Mashup review we put all 3 cars to the tests and find out that even for $40,000 USD you still have to make compromises when buying an affordable luxury car.

Old 01-30-13, 08:48 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am driving a loaner CT200h, and wow.
The car is extremely rigid. I think the CT200h was the mule to test out Lexus's firm/rigid platform that is now available on the GS and the IS.
My 2nd Gen IS feels flimsy compared to this CT200h.
Old 05-15-13, 08:49 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 06-06-13, 08:34 AM
Brooks2IS
Driver School Candidate

I recently dropped my 2008 Lexus IS250 off at the Lexus dealer for its 60k service. After practically begging for a 2013 ES loaner, I was given a choice between an RX350 or CT200h. Being bored with the RX, I decided to give the CT a go. I will start off by saying two things: I was told that the CT entered the loaner fleet simply because it sat on the lot for a full year and NEVER sold. Accordingly, I went in to my CT experience will drastically low expectations. To any current CT owner, this write up will merely restate most of your opinions as to why you bought the car in the first place. To any one curious of or looking to purchase a CT, I hope this write up provides some useful info. (2012 Lexus CT200h in Starfire Pearl and ecru Nu Luxe.. some sort of option that bundles backup cam and heated seats... two things I long for)

My first duty was to run some errands near the dealer, which called for no use of the motor. I was tickled when looking at the tach and seeing it read "zero" as I'm doing almost 20 mph. Darting in and around parking lots became effortless and pickup from the electric motor was flawless. I feel that errand running in settings such as this is one of the CT's best realms. Until I put the car in reverse and nearly died laughing from the absolutely comical reverse chime, that is!

Next was a run through the drive through for a milkshake; this time sitting in stopped traffic also open my eyes to the CT. First of all, having the engine shut off when stopped is brilliant. Next I glanced through the menu in the gauges and took not of the mere 2750 miles on a one year old car and also the 40.6 mpg the previous renter received. Additionally, I was greeted by a well executed cabin that doesn't feel like an econobox (something I associated with hybrids...) and provided a quality feel much the same as my own IS250. I don't think even the toughest critics could find a real bad interior material. Front seat space and comfort is excellent but the back seat is just for shot trips. I feel that the ergonomics are really spot on; radio controls fall easily to hand and climate controls are just where one expects. Front cupholders bests what are in the IS, yet Lexus provides NO REAR CUPHOLDERS. What the heck! My tester doesn't have navi but I think I prefer the CT without it. If I'm not mistaken, a power outlet is lost with the purchase of nav (power outlets are essential!). Not to mention the remote touch controller occupies a significant amount of storage room.

The next leg was the interstate. While there is just no getting around the fact that it hits 60 in ten seconds (the CVT wailing in the meantime), it's actually enjoyable in Sport mode. Once at cruising speed, the engine is subdued and the ride is pleasant. No harsh jolts like in the IS but its not a sleeper. Was doing 70 mph on the way home and getting 40.6 mpg. Now that I really like...

As I said, I had low expectations but the steering was decent. Not sports sedan tight but it's better than even regular cars like a Buick or something. The brakes are odd.. But it's not bad enough to ruin the experience. Cargo space is adequate; Fold those rear seats down and you've got as much space as a compact crossover.

As it is now, this is a superb and semi enjoyable commuter car. Nope it's not gonna inspire twisty roads, but for an every day drive to work, the store, or what have you, it's fine. I found myself liking this car more and more... even looked at some on the internet. I came to realize that the CT does everything I need a car to do well while getting almost double the mpgs I get. I love my IS, but this car is a no compromise make sense vehicle. And for that, kudos Lexus.

I hope you all found this write up to be useful. Feel free to comment and if you own a CT, please share your pros and also your cons. I'd like to know if there are any negatives that I haven't seen.

~Brooks
The following users liked this post:
liera21 (11-15-19)
Old 08-29-13, 10:30 AM
jclevesq
Driver School Candidate

Je suis aussi en accord.
Old 08-29-13, 10:39 AM
McNeil573
Driver School Candidate

just got my girlfriend a 2013 CT. I am not a hatchback lover by any means. But the CT is actually pretty great. back window is a bit small but it rides nice and gets great gas mileage. i'm pretty tall but i fit in just fine good leg room.
Old 09-15-13, 08:32 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

got a CT200H loaner today and got excited to test drive it, but very surprised how harsh/bumpy ride it feels , trunk space? moonroof wont open all the way? I know its entry lexus level, I guess I was expecting more from a lexus ride quality. just my opinion.

Quick Reply: CT 200h Reviews