CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

First Impressions : 2011 Lexus CT200h Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 05:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Impressions : 2011 Lexus CT200h Test Drive

So, I had a total of eight minutes (yes, eight minutes!) to check out the car AND test drive it.

Local Lexus event in Venice Beach had two CT200h available (only seven throughout the whole world), and there was a good handful of people who attended to test drive it.

Lexus, being a gracious host, provided free food, free custom-made silk-screened t-shirts, and free 3D holographic photos of attendees with the CT200h.

Due to the nature of the event, the cars were in-and-out of the lot every five minutes or so. Therefore, I only had about 5 minutes to test drive it in approximately one mile of urban Los Angeles side streets. No freeways, nothing over 30 mph. Every corner was a stop sign, so no enthusiastic turns at speed. Then I had a chance to look at a few things before the next person drove off the lot. My review is limited as such.

(Pics courtesy of Motor Trend)

EXTERIOR: Lexus knows how to make a car shine. The two colors available were Obsidian Black and Matador Red, both gleaming under the SoCal sun.

The car itself has good proportion. It's rather boxy as a whole, but a good use of sharp lines and chrome accents keep the eye interested. You can see the aggressive lines mostly on the grill, front lip, and wheels (I wish the fog lights were also angular, but alas is simply round). But the rear is a bit more reserved, with the LED taillights being the most prominent rear feature. I wish the C-pillar and rear window shapes were more congruent to the aggressive effect of the front face, but that is always the hardest part of a car to accommodate.

It's relatively low compared to other Lexus; about the same as an IS as far as ground clearance, but a lower roofline. It surely is more like an IS wagon than an HS wagon. Think IS300 Sportcross but (feels) just a tad smaller.

Lower eyelid LED DRLs remind me of Audi, but it won't be mistaken for one. Turn signals on the side mirrors are signature now on most Lexus; I like how it's body colored on top and black on the bottom, which created visual density.

TRUNK SPACE: Trunk space, for the compact size of this car, is great. It's a bit narrow, but it goes long with both rear seats folded down. There is a very useful storage compartment underneath the rear floor, although shallow, is long and wide. And beneath that storage compartment is a temporary spare (no run flats, nor cans of Fix-A-Flat).

IIRC, the rear seats split about 60/40. It isn't as cavernous as an SUV, but quite sufficient for a compact sport wagon.

A cargo tonneau cover is available; I'm not sure if it's standard, but if it isn't, that covered storage compartment helps hide valuables.

INTERIOR: Not a bit of Prius cheesyness.

The interior is classically Lexus. But moreso, the interior is modernly GREEN. The plastics are biosynthetic materials made of bamboo. The dash, console, and even stereo speaker parts are made of bamboo fibers. The door panels and seat backs may not be leather, but it surely is biosynthetic. The car does use a lot of plastics, but its not vulgar. It's appropriate for an entry-level Lexus.

Even the textiles are green. You have for the first time in any Lexus, a choice of natural perforated leather (for you evil meat-eaters) or non-perforated synthetic leather (made of bamboo fibers too, for you eco-freaks)!!!

As far as ergonomics are concerned, the seat is rather low and more bolstered than the IS. I am really comparing the CT200h with the IS instead of the HS and Prius, because it surely "feels" that way. It's low and sporty. The seat is firm but comfortable. Excellent rear view; the C-pillar is not too blinding.

The console is quite busy, especially with the odd hybrid shifter found on the HS/Prius, Eco/Sport mode dial, the "mouse" for the Nav system (it ain't touch screen), and all the audio and climate controls. There was no way I was gonna get acclimated to the controls within this short test drive, so I really can't elaborate any further.

ENGINE NOISE & ACCELERATION: If the CT200h has one thing to compare to the Prius, it would be the quiet and stealth of its engine. Even during acceleration, the engine is reserved. The engine is near silent, but the car does have a noticeable exhaust note (which is still minimal since it's a Lexus).

In ECO mode, the car accelerates like a Prius. In SPORT mode, it still accelerates like a Prius. However, there is a noticeable but not too significant difference between the two. I'm talking maybe 0.2 to 0.4 seconds faster to 60, but we're talking about a car that does 0-60 in 10 seconds or so.

I really see the "magic" of SPORT mode when torque kicks in for passing acceleration at speed, but I wasn't able to test this capacity with such a short and limited test ride.

ROAD FEEL AND HANDLING: First, the brakes. Now, I was expecting a spongy feel due to the regenerative brakes, and yes, it's palpable in the first portion of applying pressure on the foot pedal. However, the brakes do bite immediately and aggressively. It took several tries to get the feel right, but the brakes are very reactive and strong. Sporty.

I can't say much about handling. Again, due to the limited nature of the test drive, I wasn't capable of even initiating any effect to determine body roll, under/oversteer, suspension, etc. I surely do want to test it, but I will most likely have to wait for the final production car to arrive next year.

PRICE: Estimates have been compared to the IS250's starting price of $32k. At that price point, the CT200h trumps BOTH the IS250 and HS250h in gas efficiency and functionality!!! And at $32k, it's similarly priced as an Audi A3 Diesel, which gets similar gas mileage.

And due to the upgraded textiles, build quality, and added performance benefits; it's worth the upgrade from the cheesy feel of the Prius. The Prius I starts at $23k, but the Prius V climbs up to $32k. The CT200h will attract Prius buyers looking for more luxury.

MY OVERALL IMPRESSION: Well, I'm intrigued.

The CT200h surely is an answer to what the European market wants. It surely trumps the HS250h in every way. It's what the HS250h should have been: performance oriented and more efficient.

The question in my mind (which I am unable to answer with this test drive) is if this "sport wagon" is performance savvy enough to entice American tastes. It may not be a speed demon, but it would be great if it handles very well.

For the most part, I think Lexus did a lot of things right with this car. Unlike the HS, the CT200h was far more well researched and developed and designed. I can't wait to do a complete and thorough test drive in the future.
Old 09-24-10, 05:34 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Phillip for the review. I wanted to make it today but had too much work.

The CTh four door hatchback is on my list of cars to get since my ES was totaled in a rear-ended accident...

Last edited by Trexus; 09-24-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 05:46 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up. Thanks.
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's what the HS250h should have been: performance oriented and more efficient.
Although the HS250h isn't nearly as efficient as the CT200h, it certainly beats it in performance with its larger engine. Reviews of the HS250h have all praised about the HS's handling characteristics too. It's really the styling alone that dooms the HS.
Old 09-24-10, 05:47 PM
madoka
Pole Position

I'm not sure I like Lexus's attempts to keep going down-market to its Toyota roots. The HS was a whiff and I can't imagine many enthusiasts picking the CT over the MazdaSpeed 3. The Mazda would DESTROY the CT for $6,000 less. And if you want to be green, the Prius is the natural choice, again for cheaper. But I'm sure the CT would corner the market on those that want their car made out of as much bamboo as possible.
Old 09-24-10, 05:52 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by madoka
I'm not sure I like Lexus's attempts to keep going down-market to its Toyota roots. The HS was a whiff and I can't imagine many enthusiasts picking the CT over the MazdaSpeed 3. The Mazda would DESTROY the CT for $6,000 less. And if you want to be green, the Prius is the natural choice, again for cheaper. But I'm sure the CT would corner the market on those that want their car made out of as much bamboo as possible.
Mazda is a mainstream brand and clearly the MazdaSpeed3's interior isn't nearly as upscale as the CT and doesn't get nearly as good gas mileage as the CT. The A3 diesel is really the only CT's competition currently on the market.

Last edited by Mister Two; 09-24-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 05:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

This is the car Toyota should have released instead of the HS250h. I personally rather have Toyota sell the CT200h as an HS-wagon instead of being a new model in the lineup.
Old 09-24-10, 06:02 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

Very nice write-up Philp. I feel much the same way with what you wrote. Haha, I was there between 10:30 and 11:30am, and drove that same matador red CT200h. Yeah, I didn't get a good feel of the drive since there's always a stop sign at every corners and there's so my people either walking or riding on a bicycle. I had to keep an eye over them and not giving attention to the ride. As far as interior and exterior look, it's like a luxury version of a Prius and Matrix combined. The front looks very aggressive in person, thanks to those sharp angular headlamps. The side and back view could need some extra work. Very proportional and wider unlike the taller HS250. Like you said it, it would be like a hatchback version of an IS. Well, this is a pre-production version. I hope the final version would be better. I hope they'll have something similar to "The Taste Of Lexus" event where you can really take it for a good spin.
Old 09-24-10, 07:27 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil I agree with your review...I test drove one last week...they had a promotion in Brickell Village in downtown Miami and also gave out shirts, drinks...etc. I think the car is far superior to the 200hs and actually drives quite well.
Old 09-24-10, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Phil, great review

While I also am not sure of this move here in America it makes perfect sense for Europe, where small hatches that get great MPG sell in droves. Lexus needs this in Europe to expand there.

There is a growing segment of people concerned with how their cars are built and what materials are used. A small group but it is growing. The HS was the first and the CT is second.

The Prius is simply not going to be 1/2 as entertaining to drive as the CT and the CT seems to have a much more luxurious interior.

Not sure why you are comparing it to a MS3, two totally different vehicles. Just b/c they are both hatches don't make them competition. Its like comparing a M5 with a Genesis and saying no enthusiast will pick it over the M5.
Old 09-24-10, 09:30 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

drop the 3.5 motor in it, give it a 6 speed, and make it AWD. nobody cares about saving gas.
Old 09-24-10, 09:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
drop the 3.5 motor in it, give it a 6 speed, and make it AWD. nobody cares about saving gas.
Would love to see it become a hot hatch.
Old 09-24-10, 09:49 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is a growing segment of people concerned with how their cars are built and what materials are used. A small group but it is growing. The HS was the first and the CT is second.

The Prius is simply not going to be 1/2 as entertaining to drive as the CT and the CT seems to have a much more luxurious interior.

Not sure why you are comparing it to a MS3, two totally different vehicles. Just b/c they are both hatches don't make them competition. Its like comparing a M5 with a Genesis and saying no enthusiast will pick it over the M5.
While I've never sat in the MS3 or the CT, I have sat in the Genesis Coupe and remember reading this:

"We didn't expect the considerably less expensive Mazda to offer interior quality and features on par with or exceeding the Hyundai's, but that's exactly what we found. From the driver seat, virtually everything you touch is of higher quality and feels better in the Mazda, notably the steering wheel, which looks and feels plasticky in the Genesis."

Personally I don't think they are "totally different." They are both 4 door Japanese hatchbacks aimed more at enthusiasts. The MS3 (and the Subaru WRX) are both priced a few thousand under the CT. The M5 costs 2x-3x more than the price of the Genesis, which isn't a fair comparison. I'd predict that when the CT gets released, some magazine with probably do a comparison test between these vehicles.
Old 09-24-10, 09:58 PM
LexFather

While I've never sat in the MS3 or the CT, I have sat in the Genesis Coupe and remember reading this:

"We didn't expect the considerably less expensive Mazda to offer interior quality and features on par with or exceeding the Hyundai's, but that's exactly what we found. From the driver seat, virtually everything you touch is of higher quality and feels better in the Mazda, notably the steering wheel, which looks and feels plasticky in the Genesis."

Personally I don't think they are "totally different." They are both 4 door Japanese hatchbacks aimed more at enthusiasts. The MS3 (and the Subaru WRX) are both priced a few thousand under the CT. The M5 costs 2x-3x more than the price of the Genesis, which isn't a fair comparison. I'd predict that when the CT gets released, some magazine with probably do a comparison test between these vehicles.
M5 is a four door, I was referencing the Genesis sedan. They basically have 4 doors and wheels shared, otherwise they are aimed at different markets. The RX 350 and Cayenne are both SUVs, aimed at different markets. etc etc So it doesn't make much sense to compare them against one another. You CAN but it's not logical.

The MS3 is a high performing hot hatch. The CT is a luxurious fuel miser. They will not be compared in reviews, you can save this post. One might compare a VW GTI to the MS3. The CT would be compared with luxurious sub entry level cars like the A3 diesel or 1 series diesel hatch (we don't get here). I mean goodness, the MS3 is a turbo 4 with a 6 speed manual!
Old 09-24-10, 10:08 PM
jvxdriver
Rookie

+1 @ 1SLICKLEX. Yes, there is a group of people who actually cares about the environment they live in, and who actually recycles. Lexus is doing its part in this cause. The Prius has make a statement, now in its third generation. Critics once thought it would not last. It, along with the Insight, have shown otherwise. People are continuing to buy them, why not a luxury version. I believe the CT is a good move on Lexus.

The CT will serve its own purpose. It will have its own market. Lexus already has another market for those performance-minded individual, ala IS-F and LF-A. It doesn't hurt to make another eco-friendly vehicle.
Old 09-24-10, 10:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I believe that's called an RX350.

Quick Reply: First Impressions : 2011 Lexus CT200h Test Drive