CT 200h Model (2011-2017)
View Poll Results: What do you think the starting price point should be for the CT 200h?
$25K-$30K
46.67%
$31K-$35K
38.67%
$36K-$40K
4.00%
Doe's not matter, I would never buy it!
10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of buying the CT 200h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 10:56 PM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Thinking of buying the CT 200h?

What do you think the starting price point should be for the CT 200h? If it started at $25K would you buy it?
Old 03-26-10, 12:53 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

im not sure that lexus would market this for under 30k. its entry level models (IS/ES) are mid 30k at the base without any add-ons, but hopefully it makes for a good sell in the US market when it arrives.
Old 03-26-10, 03:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

It should be 31-32K max, for base MSRP.

The HS is priced a bit too high with it's MSRP.

31-32K base MSRP would be very competitive.
Old 03-26-10, 09:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

starting msrp (keyword, starting) should not be more than 30k, and a reasonably loaded one for no more than 34k msrp
Old 03-26-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Well it depends on standard features and again, MPG and performance specs. Hard to say what it should be priced looking at pictures.

The consumer side of me wants it to start under 30k and no more than 35k loaded. The A3 simply is too much for what you get to most consumers. Small luxury hatches simply fail in America. As you can see BMW doesn't bring the 1 series 3 or 5 door, they brought the coupes only (and convert).

Hybrid buyers do the research so they will price the CT vs a loaded Prius. So I hope the CT really shows why its worth the additional coin. Things like the gauges and the Euro interior work in its favor.

The RX, ES, HS, IS all can be found in the 35-40k range, a CT there would just muddy it more.

I hope its no more than 35k LOADED.

The HS has not come close to filling sales expectations and quite frankly it has a lot to do with the price. 35k-45k for it is a tough pill to swallow. Lexus cannot afford to have the CT not selling either. So price it low, get some market penetration and go from there.
Old 03-26-10, 01:22 PM
Aegee14
Rookie

It's an upscale Prius. It better not be more than 30K.
Old 03-26-10, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I hope its no more than 35k LOADED.

The HS has not come close to filling sales expectations and quite frankly it has a lot to do with the price. 35k-45k for it is a tough pill to swallow. Lexus cannot afford to have the CT not selling either. So price it low, get some market penetration and go from there.
to be very honest, i have looked at the HS quite a few times, i just can't justify the price at all. so for the CT to make sense, mike, you and i are on the same page, around 35k loaded
Old 03-26-10, 03:05 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
to be very honest, i have looked at the HS quite a few times, i just can't justify the price at all. so for the CT to make sense, mike, you and i are on the same page, around 35k loaded
Yup I agree. HS should have been more like $30K to $40K (if even that high). Even at $40K it's tough to swallow considering the styling...

But the CT doesn't have a styling problem thankfully, so the sticking point will probably be the horsepower not the styling. For 134hp it cannot be too expensive and Lexus seems to realize that hence they announced the base model will have leatherette seating.

The base model with leatherette and a decent standard equipment level should be a little below $30K (like $28K or $29K)
Old 03-26-10, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yup I agree. HS should have been more like $30K to $40K (if even that high). Even at $40K it's tough to swallow considering the styling...

But the CT doesn't have a styling problem thankfully, so the sticking point will probably be the horsepower not the styling. For 134hp it cannot be too expensive and Lexus seems to realize that hence they announced the base model will have leatherette seating.

The base model with leatherette and a decent standard equipment level should be a little below $30K (like $28K or $29K)
yup, we are on the same page

for the CT, hp is a "problem", and also the target audience. pricing is very important on this car otherwise it's not going to attract anyone. putting it under 30k to start will be a good marketing approach (one of those 29k is much better than 30k thing), and making a loaded one under 35k is the other key, otherwise it becomes too expensive for what it is, and also out of reach for majority of the potential buyers
Old 03-26-10, 05:05 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, we are on the same page

for the CT, hp is a "problem", and also the target audience. pricing is very important on this car otherwise it's not going to attract anyone. putting it under 30k to start will be a good marketing approach (one of those 29k is much better than 30k thing), and making a loaded one under 35k is the other key, otherwise it becomes too expensive for what it is, and also out of reach for majority of the potential buyers
Sounds about right.

I never even thought about target audience. They should probably go for young college students. I'm sure a lot of them would rather drive this than the Prius. Lexus also needs to have good lease rates on this, since most college students and the like lease more often than not...

Also one thing to remember is if it get's too pricey most people would probably rather jump for an IS250 than pay $35K for a small hatchback. That's likely part of the HS's problem as well. Most people would probably rather spend a little more on an ES than "settle" for an HS at it's price...
Old 03-26-10, 05:05 PM
LexFather

Glad we think alike

Rumors are 22k pounds in the U.K....

I hope to see F-sport parts for it as well and how about some a CTh with a factory F-sport package wheels/springs/shocks/ a brace or two as an option instead of being sold individually?
Old 03-26-10, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Sounds about right.

I never even thought about target audience. They should probably go for young college students. I'm sure a lot of them would rather drive this than the Prius. Lexus also needs to have good lease rates on this, since most college students and the like lease more often than not...

Also one thing to remember is if it get's too pricey most people would probably rather jump for an IS250 than pay $35K for a small hatchback. That's likely part of the HS's problem as well. Most people would probably rather spend a little more on an ES than "settle" for an HS at it's price...
yup, you hit the points that i have in mind. to me, this car is for young people, new graduate who want to land on luxury segment without killing their wallets. so they have to be careful on pricing and capture those people.

it's kind of like the is300 back in the early 2000s. they were pretty welcomed by young people getting out of college. making it too high and people either can't afford it, or might as well get the is250

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Glad we think alike

Rumors are 22k pounds in the U.K....

I hope to see F-sport parts for it as well and how about some a CTh with a factory F-sport package wheels/springs/shocks/ a brace or two as an option instead of being sold individually?
yes, another great point. everyone knows i am not a big fan of the CT myself, mostly it doesn't fit well under luxury model.

but if they want to push this car out, the only reason would be to make brand more popular. if they want to use this car to boost up the popularity, lexus needs to play smart, ie -- look at scion

give it more easy to do options, more little gadgets to change things out, more mods, so it makes it easier for people to "personalize" their cars. it will make the car a lot more marketable and most importantly, welcomed by people in that group
Old 03-26-10, 11:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

$35k loaded seems good.

But seriously ... there needs to be an F, or higher performance version to compliment the gas saving hybrid version.

A hybrid setup with The 2.5 from the IS250 would be pretty nice.... being coupled with the electric motors it should put out more combined HP than it currently does (204hp)

Just look at ford, in europe they have the regular focus hatch, but they also have a RS version ...

IS250 --> IS350 --> IS-F
CT200h --> needs to be something here

Last edited by GiantsFan; 03-26-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 01:39 PM
Aegee14
Rookie

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
$35k loaded seems good.

But seriously ... there needs to be an F, or higher performance version to compliment the gas saving hybrid version.

A hybrid setup with The 2.5 from the IS250 would be pretty nice.... being coupled with the electric motors it should put out more combined HP than it currently does (204hp)

Just look at ford, in europe they have the regular focus hatch, but they also have a RS version ...

IS250 --> IS350 --> IS-F
CT200h --> needs to be something here

I agree with you. Or else, the Prius will always be faster than the CT200h.
Old 03-31-10, 03:35 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I would've bought the concept version...

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying the CT 200h?