Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

IS-F Ohlins Road and Track Specific Coilover group buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 08:59 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

new pics, our test set is sold and on its way to Ah Lau.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-13-15, 01:15 PM
mikelexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey FIGS,

not sure if the group buy is still on but I'm in.

1.ZaxF
2. non CL customer1
3.mikelexf
Old 03-14-15, 06:53 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazing opportunity. I would be on the list if i didnt pick up the penskes
Old 03-14-15, 07:27 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Added myself.

1.ZaxF
2. non CL customer1
3.mikelexf
4.JDMV8
Old 03-15-15, 07:45 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.ZaxF
2. non CL customer1
3.mikelexf
4.JDMV8
5.KLexus50

Interested. Add another one to the list ☺
Old 03-17-15, 09:07 AM
Ah Lau
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick update on this particular custom setup that FIGS is organizing.

My original suspension had done about 41,000km. Small stutter bumps were no longer being damped, but large hits were still being damped OK. For example, driving over a series of ripples about 40kmh, if not done perfectly square on, would produce a wallow much like a duck waddling. Driving on paving stone type surfaces at about 20kmh after about 3 seconds would produce a vibration / buzz filling the entire cabin. It was time to replace the whole set of shocks.

I bought the R&D unit that FIGS used to develop the model being sold in this group buy.

It arrived in Singapore today.

I went to a friend's workshop to install it. He is an accredited scrutineer and also a suspension tuner, The car went up the hoist, and was down again in under 2 hours. The replacement Ohlins were bolted straight on using the height, preload etc settings that came with the shocks. The work was completed without any rush. After that my friend made some measurements using corner scales to confirm that everything was fairly within spec. Then I went for laser wheel alignment.

After that we went for 3 test drives over the same route of about 3 km.

The first test drive was with the alignment guy. Immediately it was obvious that the car was just springing about randomly.

After a quick drive the alignment guy got out and my friend the shock tuner got in for a second drive. He suspected that the damping settings on the front vs the rear were (mistakenly) set by his own mechanics to full soft vs full hard, and this caused the car to settle into a sickening resonance. The mistake was confirmed and all shocks were set to full soft.

On the third drive small adjustments were made along the route. Eventually I accepted the car (for the time being) with front rebound 4 clicks out from full soft, and rear rebound 2 clicks out from full soft.

Impressions:
Car feels as stiff as stock, except that I'm now on 18" rims but it rides as stiffly as though it were the original 19" rims.
Damping is much improved over stock, without the "zinging" sensation when hitting speed bump type objects.
Rapid turn-in / turn-in with hard braking is much improved over stock.
Car feels like new again.

The wheel alignment settings (not really related to the shocks) was for a lively feeling for street use. Now the steering effort is lighter as compared to using the 18" rims on original factory alignment settings. The front wheels are Volks VR G25 rims 18x8.5J offset 35 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/18 with about 4,500km done. The rear wheels are Volks VR G25 rims 18x9.5J offset 43 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18.

Conclusions: well worth the money, even after driving only 50km since the shocks were set up with the initial settings.
Old 03-17-15, 09:35 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Thank you for the post.
One thing about the tuning, you should always back out from the "full hard postion" as it is the only deterministic valve position. So all the way in, then back out, say 20 clicks vs just backing out until you do not feel any detents. This ensures that the valve gap and damping preload are identical or at least to a specific number.

Other than that we always tend to let the rear be on a softer damping than the front. It allows a different modal frequency and diversifies the damping range to get more total coverage over different surfaces. In any case sounds like you are off to a great start and I am glad things made to the the other side of the world OK FEDEX FTW.
Mike

Originally Posted by Ah Lau
Just a quick update on this particular custom setup that FIGS is organizing.

My original suspension had done about 41,000km. Small stutter bumps were no longer being damped, but large hits were still being damped OK. For example, driving over a series of ripples about 40kmh, if not done perfectly square on, would produce a wallow much like a duck waddling. Driving on paving stone type surfaces at about 20kmh after about 3 seconds would produce a vibration / buzz filling the entire cabin. It was time to replace the whole set of shocks.

I bought the R&D unit that FIGS used to develop the model being sold in this group buy.

It arrived in Singapore today.

I went to a friend's workshop to install it. He is an accredited scrutineer and also a suspension tuner, The car went up the hoist, and was down again in under 2 hours. The replacement Ohlins were bolted straight on using the height, preload etc settings that came with the shocks. The work was completed without any rush. After that my friend made some measurements using corner scales to confirm that everything was fairly within spec. Then I went for laser wheel alignment.

After that we went for 3 test drives over the same route of about 3 km.

The first test drive was with the alignment guy. Immediately it was obvious that the car was just springing about randomly.

After a quick drive the alignment guy got out and my friend the shock tuner got in for a second drive. He suspected that the damping settings on the front vs the rear were (mistakenly) set by his own mechanics to full soft vs full hard, and this caused the car to settle into a sickening resonance. The mistake was confirmed and all shocks were set to full soft.

On the third drive small adjustments were made along the route. Eventually I accepted the car (for the time being) with front rebound 4 clicks out from full soft, and rear rebound 2 clicks out from full soft.

Impressions:
Car feels as stiff as stock, except that I'm now on 18" rims but it rides as stiffly as though it were the original 19" rims.
Damping is much improved over stock, without the "zinging" sensation when hitting speed bump type objects.
Rapid turn-in / turn-in with hard braking is much improved over stock.
Car feels like new again.

The wheel alignment settings (not really related to the shocks) was for a lively feeling for street use. Now the steering effort is lighter as compared to using the 18" rims on original factory alignment settings. The front wheels are Volks VR G25 rims 18x8.5J offset 35 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/18 with about 4,500km done. The rear wheels are Volks VR G25 rims 18x9.5J offset 43 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/40/18.

Conclusions: well worth the money, even after driving only 50km since the shocks were set up with the initial settings.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 03-18-15, 05:22 PM
Ah Lau
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops thanks for the info on how to set the rebound damping!

FedEx was good until the "last mile" (these are issues obviously outside your realm of influence).

I encountered several problems with the Singapore end of the operations and have provided feedback, to which they responded only after I contacted them on their Asia Pacific Facebook page (ie reporting the problems through the local customer service number just got me a pack of lies).

Even then the people responding at the Asia Pacific level were mediocre (eg not calling me back at times they themselves promised etc).
Old 03-19-15, 05:39 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

C'mon guys, halfway there!
Old 03-25-15, 07:29 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

bump
Old 03-28-15, 08:30 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Close guys, keep up the interest. If we do not see movement in another week I suggest we just get regular orders going in an effort to get parts in before the race season hits. We are already starting to get very busy which will push out lead times.
Thanks Mike
Old 04-01-15, 06:04 AM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested!

1.ZaxF
2. non CL customer1
3.mikelexf
4.JDMV8
5.KLexus50
6.mikedtrd
Old 04-01-15, 08:15 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry Gentlemen, but I'm going with the Penske's. I'm out of the GB.
Old 04-02-15, 08:06 AM
FIGS
The Maker

list updated, thanks.
Old 04-08-15, 09:44 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys but I'm out too. I have another project coming up.

Quick Reply: IS-F Ohlins Road and Track Specific Coilover group buy