Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

RMI Scoops from ISS Forged MPG Increase.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 11:49 AM
Cleo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fitment Factory
We were thinking of doing the MPG test in a controlled environment on a Mustang dyno. A road trip also has to many variables that will produce numbers that cant be duplicated. We have found a facility in FL that has the proper equipment to do the MPG test i.e. temperature controlled warehouse / mustang dyno / a fan that produces wind speeds that allow this simulation to be accurate. If anyone is asking why a mustang dyno, well the mustang dyno has a cool feature that allows the user to create load based on wind condition. This is key to properly run this kind of test.

Thanks for the info Cleo.

Janoy
I really hope that your product works as advertised, but ,again, I have to stress that your proposed testing method to calculate fuel efficiency is highly flawed. Unless you have access to the same equipment used by the car manufacturers and the EPA, the testing in your "controlled" environment will produce inaccurate results. Even if you notice an increase in calculated MPG after the installation of your product, it doesn't really mean anything. That only shows that your product improves efficiency in an indoor room and on a dyno. Driving is done outdoors on an open road.

You also quickly dismissed the idea of conducting real-world tests because of too many variables that may affect your results. Well, that's the point of real-world testing - to conduct it over and over again to come up with numerous data points. With those values, you can derive a reliable figure. That's how most, if not all, experiments are done. Your notion that the results of a real-world test can't be duplicated is incorrect, and it only implies claims made by you are doubtful.

Take it from me, if you truly stand behind your product, do the real-world tests and publish the results and its methodology. No one wants to buy another TORNADO gimmick.

Last edited by Cleo; 01-13-12 at 01:53 PM. Reason: "your" should be "you"
Old 01-13-12, 01:17 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure that this product was developed to be a MPG saver, but to get better airflow into the intake area. If the MPG increases then great, but is not used as a "GIMMICK" product to lower your MPG.

With your statement, no product on any car can use a DYNO for any numbers statement correct?
Old 01-13-12, 01:50 PM
Cleo
Driver

Originally Posted by fleadog99
I am not sure that this product was developed to be a MPG saver, but to get better airflow into the intake area. If the MPG increases then great, but is not used as a "GIMMICK" product to lower your MPG.

With your statement, no product on any car can use a DYNO for any numbers statement correct?
1. Just because it's a gimmick doesn't mean that it will lower your MPG. I don't know where you got that from. Being a gimmick refers to that it doesn't do anything - increase or decrease MPG.

2. "Numbers statement?" I am strictly referring to calculating MPG. Please read my post again. I don't know how you came up with this conclusion either.
Old 01-13-12, 02:24 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A controlled experiment is the only thing that produces real numbers. The equipment we are going to use is the same ( maybe not the same brand ) that manufactures use to test their cars. There is no gimmick here... Like always we will produce real numbers and not over sell our product. If you disagree with our methods we will have to agree to disagree.

BTW: We dont make products to save fuel. We are looking for POWER and performance!!!!!! We are F drivers. We drive hard and burn lots of fuel and tires. The fact that this product saves fuel is a plus not a selling point.

Janoy
Old 01-13-12, 02:53 PM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems interesting. Very similar to the Stillen intakes for the G37 and 370Z crowd. Wonder if that is where the idea came from. With the Z and G, if the intake was the first mod, it typically gained between 14-16 WHP.

Can you tell us if any cutting will be needed to install? The G and Z's intake had to have a small hole cut in the front somewhere...
Old 01-13-12, 03:30 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fitment Factory
A controlled experiment is the only thing that produces real numbers. The equipment we are going to use is the same ( maybe not the same brand ) that manufactures use to test their cars. There is no gimmick here... Like always we will produce real numbers and not over sell our product. If you disagree with our methods we will have to agree to disagree.

BTW: We dont make products to save fuel. We are looking for POWER and performance!!!!!! We are F drivers. We drive hard and burn lots of fuel and tires. The fact that this product saves fuel is a plus not a selling point.

Janoy
Exactly what I am looking for, I thought of buying and modifying a Vararam but I think I will now wait to see what you come up with.

BTW, they are picking up 25-35 WHP with their ram air intakes on C6 corvettes. check the link below

http://www.vararam.com/
Old 01-16-12, 10:22 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Requesting more information?????
Old 01-16-12, 01:17 PM
stick
Pole Position

I still do not understand what these RMI scoops are.
Old 01-16-12, 01:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^You aint the only one

Lou
Old 01-16-12, 03:49 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stick
I still do not understand what these RMI scoops are.
Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^You aint the only one

Lou
If I understand your questions and I may not, they are ram air CAI's.

The idea is to locate the intake snorkel at a high pressure area at the front of the car and have a sealed unit to maintain the pressure to the throttle body. The faster the car is traveling the greater the intake pressure. The Vararam unit that I used on my C6 was rated a providing and additional 30 WHP. I can attest to the performance gains on an LS2 of .2 in a 1/4 mile other better drivers saw even greater gains.
Old 01-16-12, 10:49 PM
htownISF
Driver School Candidate

when will this come out ?
Old 01-17-12, 07:46 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

hwy1isf I understand. My problem is that we have not seen any clue about that the heck this thing is.

Lou
Old 01-17-12, 11:29 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
hwy1isf I understand. My problem is that we have not seen any clue about that the heck this thing is.

Lou
Lou,

Check the Vararam link I provided in an earlier post, and you will see a similar design to what they at ISS are trying to produce for our F's. If they are successful you will see similar gains to headers.

I'm in Cali and do not want to risk headers with our CARB regs. but will definitely use a ram air if it is available.

Gary
Old 01-17-12, 11:52 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hwy1isf
Lou,

Check the Vararam link I provided in an earlier post, and you will see a similar design to what they at ISS are trying to produce for our F's. If they are successful you will see similar gains to headers.

I'm in Cali and do not want to risk headers with our CARB regs. but will definitely use a ram air if it is available.

Gary
How can you tell from the pictures/his explanation? From what I understood this will retains factory airbox. I believe this product is another Scoop that will direct air towards the airbox? Its hard to say with the lack of explanation/pictures.

What I'm suggesting is like the product you mentioned, an actual ram air style intake that goes directly into the throttle body.
Old 02-10-12, 11:53 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

did this come into production yet?

Quick Reply: RMI Scoops from ISS Forged MPG Increase.