Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Interest in Wilwood brake upgrade (SC and GS owners)

Old 08-16-02, 07:06 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interest in Wilwood brake upgrade (SC and GS owners)

This thread is to see how many people are interested in a Wilwood brake upgrade group buy. The benefit to the Wilwood brake kit over such brand names as Brembo, AP Racing, etc. is that, through this GB, the price will be much cheaper than those $2000+ kits, while providing the same stopping performance.

- For stock rotors: A 4 piston Wilwood light weight caliper will be used in conjunction with your choice of three different brake pad compunds (made by Hawk): street, racing, or extreme. The kit will also come with stainless bleed line and quality bolts, nuts, and brackets. The price for this kit (calipers, pads, and misc.) will be $950 shipped directly to your door, or $900 pick up.

-For upgraded TT rotors: A 6 piston Wilwood light weight brake caliper will be used in conjunction with the same 3 brake pad compounds as listed above: street, racing, or extreme. This kit also comes w/ all the necessary bolts, nuts, and brackets along with the stainless bleed line. The price for this kit will be $1350 shipped to your door, or $1300 pick up.*

The main person responsible for this project is Scott (Aka: T51R). I have been down to the shop where he works and have seen the brake kit 1st hand. It is a very impressive assembly, and I have already reserved a kit for myself. This is a very rare chance to get a high quailty light weight brake kit for your SC and/or GS. If u have any further ?'s, u can PM me and i will answer them ASAP. Pics are coming.

PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATLY TO THIS THREAD, AS THE GB WILL BEGIN ASAP. Thank you.

*Note: to recieve the kit w/ the 6 piston caliper for the TT rotor, you will need a rim size of at least 18" to ensure proper clearance.
Old 08-16-02, 09:33 AM
RacingAristo

Please correct me if I'm wrong. For Wilwood's 4 piston upgrade, we will use the stock rotors? Because if I purchase the brand new SupraTT upgrade, it'd cost me around $700 which includes calipers, street brake pads, larger rotors, shim kit, (brake lines, not sure). Also I didn't see Lexus in Wilwood's application. Will Scott be doing some modification? The reason I'm asking this is I saw someone working on Wilwood brake on Lexus before. It requires some alteration.

Thank you.

Old 08-16-02, 10:51 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Racing, the difference b/t the supra TT brakes and teh wilwood ones r weight. the Supra TT calipers weight considerably more than the Wilwood calipers.I believe that they weigh as much or more than teh stock GS calipers, and those must be handled w/ two hands. the Wilwood calipers can be lifted w/ one finger. I will talk to Scott about the other differences as he knows more about the Wilwood brakes than i do. (i believe they cool off better, etc. but i want to make sure i get all the correct info from Scott before i give out more detailed info).

I am not quite sure why WIlwood doesn't have a brake kit for the GS (again, i will ask Scott. I am meeting w/ him tonight so...) Pics of the calipers are coming along. I took my dad's GS to the shop yesterday, and measurment were taken, etc. directly form the car. the caliper was fitted onto the rotor, etc. and everything will fit perfectly. Also, we are making custom brackets for the rotors to provide maximum pad surface area. We called Wilwood and they gave us the info for what grade Aluminum their brackets are mad eout of (something 61 i think it was..i'll ask scott tonight) We will be making the brackets from this very aluminum and Scott will be testing it w/ his TT SC300 (at very high speeds). I would also be willing to test the brakes w/ my dad's GS except i will be in college. ( i already have a kit lined up for me for my SC though).

Sorry for the long post. I will get more info from Scott tonight.
Old 08-28-02, 11:21 PM
RacingAristo

hey Derek,

any news? It's been quite awhile.

Old 08-28-02, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah any update? i want the 4 piston setup quick
Old 08-29-02, 12:01 AM
RacingAristo

Can't believe I couldn't have one serious mod done this summer (except the plugs). Time to go back to stock.

Old 09-27-02, 03:06 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6061 is your typical machinable aluminum in any machine shop.
Old 09-30-02, 01:42 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question so is this normal for a group buy?

whatever happened to this group buy? just wondering. this upgrade would be sweet. thanks bryan