Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Interest in Supra TT Space Saver Spare GB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 09:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Interest in Supra TT Space Saver Spare GB?

I've been bugging Steve Ganz for a while about getting me a Supra TT space saver spare and tire. Now that my Supra TT brake upgrade is on the way, I'll need either a new high-disk wheel to use as a spare or - a spare built to clear the Supra TT brakes.

I like the idea of the space saver spare because it should (I haven't weighed it) save a little weight over a full size spare. I also don't let my tires wear down to the point I start getting flats (although the odd emergency can happen, of course).

Cons are that it's a limited use wheel/tire that can only go x miles at a speed less than 50mph. It's truly for emergencies. It also looks stupid when you drive around on it. Again - back to it's for emergencies.

Given all the folks buying Supra TT brakes I wanted to see if anyone was also interested in getting a deal from Steve in bulk. I don't have any prices at all yet - this is only a "would you be interested" post so Steve can get prices on ordering multiples of these wheels. He needs to know what the quantity might be to figure out the cost.

I'm going to ask for prices on wheels only and wheels AND tires (mounted/balanced).

Please post here if you are interested in a Supra TT wheel so I can get a count to him and see if we can get a good deal!

Thanks,
David

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-07-02 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 09:50 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled my spare for the stereo. I would be interested based on pricing.

Thanks

MW
Old 08-07-02, 11:13 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Great idea...I just picked up one I purchased from a guy over at Supraforums. If you guys end up getting them cheaper, I'm gonna be pissed j/k. Good luck with the GB
Old 08-08-02, 12:07 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Supra spacesaver is 7 lbs less than a factory 17" tire and rim combo.

It also gave me 3 1/2" of space between the top of the tire and the floorboard to install my amps.

No loss in luggage space for stereo equipment + 7 lbs. saved = A great Mod !

I got mine on the Supraforums too.
Old 08-08-02, 03:15 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in, a can of fix a flat doesnt give me the most secure feeling.

gadgetSC
Old 08-08-02, 04:48 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gadgetSC
I'm in, a can of fix a flat doesnt give me the most secure feeling.

gadgetSC
Hehehe... nicely put!
Old 08-08-02, 04:48 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

I'd be interested as well.
Old 08-08-02, 06:19 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I think I have a few of these laying around my shop, thank got you posted this as I don't have a spare since I put my 19s and tt brakes on.
Old 08-08-02, 08:03 AM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the only option a space saver? Is there a steelie fullsize spare wheel available?
Old 08-08-02, 08:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by strongsail
is the only option a space saver? Is there a steelie fullsize spare wheel available?
Sorry, only the space saver on this GB (unless we get a flood of posts requesting one - I don't think the demand is there).

I'm not sure if Toyota would have even made one of those - my 92 Camry SE came with a full size spare and it matched the other four alloy wheels. I'd expect the Supra TT to come with at least that level of finish.

You can check directly with Steve if you want one to see if he can find one for you - contact info below.

-gonzo4u@earthlink.net
-1-800-908-6968
Old 08-08-02, 10:03 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

i am interested, how much?
Old 08-08-02, 10:38 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Group buy? hehe. Have any of you actually checked pricing? Well, the yellow 17" wheel isn't too bad, IIRC around $175. But here is the good part, the 17" temporary tire list for $1100!! Yes, that's $1100. I'd recommend just buying a cheap 17" wheel/tire from Tire rack, or finding a used one from a Supra.

Last edited by sc300tt; 08-08-02 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 05:49 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn $1100, my original plan was to go to Toyota and buy a 17" TT spare. Just completed my rear upgrade last weekend, and that makes my 15" spare totally useless. A cheap wheel from Tire Rack sounds Much better. That group buy would have to have a serious discount.

gadgetSC
Old 08-09-02, 10:18 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't let the guys on the Supraforums know how much they're worth or they might jack up the prices if they find out there's a bunch of Lexus owners hurting for their spares or factory front rims.

You guys might want to try buying 2 front tires and splitting them, since most rims are sold in pairs or sets of 4. Then there's always the junkyard.

Take caution buying a rear wheel though. I think the factory rear wheel/tire is wider on a Supra TT; so does anyone know if the the wider rear tire and wheel offset will rub on a GS front fender or rub the suspension on the inside ?

Another note. The Supra spacesaver is a size 145/70-17. It's not as puny as on other cars, but quite a bit smaller than the 285 tire on my rear. If I ever got a flat on the rear end, I would probably swap a good front tire to the rear and only use the skinny space saver for the front.
Old 08-09-02, 10:33 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sc300tt
...the 17" temporary tire list for $1100!! Yes, that's $1100. I'd recommend just buying a cheap 17" wheel/tire from Tire rack, or finding a used one from a Supra.
WOW...looks like I really got a steal I recommend that those that are interested go to Supraforums.com and post in the wanted section. This is what I did...within a couple of days I had 3 members contact me...and I paid no where near $1100

Quick Reply: Interest in Supra TT Space Saver Spare GB?