Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 08:17 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now for the comparison against the GS...now keep in mind, the head lights designs are COMPLETLEY different. The GS is a "relector" type setup and the SC is a projector type setup. Also, the SC's projectors were NEVER designed for use with HID's so the beam pattern isn't going to be as good as HID Projectors (projectors design SPECIFICALLY for HID use).

However, as you will see, the actualy AMOUNT of light put out is still pretty good. Not as good as the GS's stock HID setup, but hey, we're comparing a 1992 SC to a 2001 GS...keep that in perspective folks.

Here's a side by side of the head light housings....

Now here's the GS vs the SC from about 50 feet away...the SC is on the LEFT side...notice the big "halo" around the SC, this due to the fact that my SC's headlights are set a little higher than the GS's...

Here they are side to side but with the exposure turned down aht a little bit closer to the cars...

Now you will noticed that the SC's light output looks "yellow" on the ground, it's not quite that yellow. It only seems that way because it's next to the GS's HID (which is definitely "whiter"...again, housing and design differences). However, notice how "bright" they both are...nearly the same.

Last edited by Manaray; 05-26-02 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 08:21 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now for the beam pattern test...again, since the GS's head lights are DESIGNED to work with HID's, the GS's pattern better. The SC's pattern is definitely more "splotchy" but it's still good IMO.

Here's the GS's...

Here's the SC's...

Here's both turned on at the same time...
Old 05-26-02, 08:24 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, also consider that these pictures are NOT exactly 100% what YOU WOULD SEE IN PERSON...the camera doesn't pick up the light like your eyes. It's hard to describe.

It would probably be better to actually see it in person so anyone who's in the Los Angeles area can arrange a meet with me to "see the light"...I guess we could have a "mini gathering" of sorts one night...

Oh yeah, Lex400SC - As far as I can tell, there is NO COLOR FLICKER with the SC's projectors...I have yet to be in another car while my SC is driving so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure...I tried standing in front of it (about 1/2 block away) and moved my head around (I probably looked like a chicken or something!) and I didn't notice any flicker...just BRIGHT white light...

I will take a "bird's eye" picture when I get a chance...I haven't found a good location to do it yet...

OK guys, START ORDERING DAMN IT!

Last edited by Manaray; 05-26-02 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 11:34 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great pics

I've been considering ordering the 6000K from autolamp for a looonngggg time now. Those pics DEFINITLY help in my decision process. On the SC though, 2nd to last pic, the width of the light is kind of disappointing. Is there anyway we could adjust our lights to where it covers up BOTH sides of the road (shift it to the left a bit), like your GS in the 3rd to last pic? It'd just be more fun to over power the people's lights in the lane next to you.

So I guess I'll get the 6000K, and hopefully it'll be purple, instead of blue (which it is decribed as being most of the time). But all of the pictures I've seen, it has been a light purple, even on autolamps. And I know they are pretty reputable. It's just confusing b/c they show purple coming out of the bmw projectors, and purple when they do the reflector's beam pattern, but then they say "BLUE" when they describe it.

Anyway, I'll post pics when/if I get it.
Old 05-27-02, 01:29 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Thanks for all those pics and angles manaray! It really is a tough call because I want the OEM quality, but the kits are just sooo much easier to install AND I know they will work for certain. I think I will continue on with the BMW OEM project though, and with any luck, I'll have pictures of it up within a month. If I fail, well these things are very easy to resell on the market and I should at least break even. lexlikenother, there is a horizontal aiming screw that controls how wide your low beams toe-out. With an HID kit, you should be able to aim them a little wider without getting patches and spots in your beam.
Old 05-27-02, 07:42 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Hey Manaray -- do you know of anyone who's done the Autolamp conversion on a 98-02 GS? I am definately considering converting my halogens to HID's w/ the Autolamps kit.
Old 05-27-02, 07:50 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Question I noticed the black tip on the lights

The bulbs in the picture show a black "cap" on the lights. The kit I purchased from Rex Motorsports had no cap on it.

Is this the difference between "D2S" and "D2R"? I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, but what is the difference please?

Thanks all!
Old 05-27-02, 09:06 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

That's a good question about the cap. None of the pics on autolamps (that I could find) have caps on them, especially the Ultinon's. So I'm suprised that the ones that Manaray got from them, has caps. The only reason I can think to put caps on bulbs is to reduce glare. But I've only seen it done to D2S bulbs that people want to put in their reflector housing. The difference is that the D2R has a small shield on it (in about the middle), to block light coming from that part. The D2S doesn't need the shield on the bulb b/c it is already incorporated within our optics.

Last edited by lexlikenother; 05-27-02 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 10:50 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike; these HID's you posted, are they 6000k or the other ones? I didn't find it anywhere in the thread.
Old 05-27-02, 11:41 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Dex
Wow - the SC stockers are a really pathetic excuse for OEM lighting.
Interesting that you say that Dex since the original lighting of the SC was considered a huge advance for automobiles when they came out. A lot of cars these days have lights based on the design of those headlights. The coverage of the all the beams was/is excellent but 10 years of technology have crept up on it. If you want a low cost solution for more light use the Sylvania Silverstars. They run $25 a piece, are 4000K bulbs and produce a much better light than stock. I am truly happy with their appearance.
Old 05-27-02, 01:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Nick capped the bulbs himself to reduce glare associated with kit conversions. The bulbs themselves are D2S. D2R would have an additional strip along the side. Retro, these are 4100K. Hermosa, I agree. Silverstars increase the halogen lighting output of the SC by a lot. Especially 9005 Silverstars .
Old 05-27-02, 04:35 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The Silverstars are great if you just want the color to match (and some better light output), but just so you guys know, it's NO WHERE NEAR the light OUTPUT as the HID's...like I said, my buddy has a SilverStars and next to my SC, you can't even tell if they're on...

As for the other questions, here are some answers directly from Nick of AutoLamps Online...also, you can listen to Lex400SC since he knows what he's talking about...(IMO, he's the single most knowledgable person on HID's/optics on ClubLexus...well, that guys from Tokyo seems to know his stuff too! )

The ballast never gets too hot to handle so there are no issues mounting it on a plastic surface. What I would stress is that the cable ties are used as a secondary security as the mastic tape is not designed to hold the ballast in a vertical position on its own.

Why did you buy from us?. Well you are better placed to answer that than myself but this may help your members. I was the International Sales and Marketing manager for Philips Automotive Lighting for more than 12 years. I worked in over 30 different countries and was involved in the development and introduction to market of the HID system. I sat on a number of International bodies for HID introduction and design in the early 90's so could say I have a fair amount of experience on the subject. I was part of the management team who signed off the mass production plant in Aachen , Germany which now produces all of Philips D2 and D2R lamps both 4100K and 6000K.

The black cap is added to remove parasitic images in the beam pattern. The reason the site does not show this feature is the simple fact that as the site that other follow due to my background others would just copy what we do. The wording we use today and our application guides for example have been stolen and currently used on more than 172 different sites worldwide. The D2S and D2R difference are explained basically that the D2s is used for Ellipsoidal OE systems. The D2R is used for freeform or parabolic reflectors. They are distinguished by the D2R having a corrective pin stripe on the outer glass.

The light distribution on the SC to GS is simply the fact that the Freeform reflector on the GS is a much more efficient higher performing reflector combination that the SC Ellipsoidal system. The difference would be the same with halogen lamps.
Old 05-27-02, 04:49 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Hermosa

Interesting that you say that Dex since the original lighting of the SC was considered a huge advance for automobiles when they came out. A lot of cars these days have lights based on the design of those headlights. The coverage of the all the beams was/is excellent but 10 years of technology have crept up on it. If you want a low cost solution for more light use the Sylvania Silverstars. They run $25 a piece, are 4000K bulbs and produce a much better light than stock. I am truly happy with their appearance.
Cool and interesting. My comments were based soley on the pictures above, of which manaray offer his explanantion. My GS came with OEM HIDs, so no upgrade needed.

Oh, ad the comments about the Stars matching HID color, you guys should see the RAZO Premium White Zeros I am trying in my clear fogs; I love em.
Old 05-27-02, 09:45 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

if i bought a 95 sc, and wanted to put in these lights, would i have to balance the lights out, or like level them out???

and are they HIDs with a tint of a color, or just really bright?
Old 05-27-02, 10:37 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

manaray: Thanks for the detail write up and work out a deal with autolamps. How long the CL member promotion last?

There's an autolamps HID installation on NSX page here if you're intersted.

Last edited by damnboy; 05-27-02 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT