CL Vendor Products for SC300/SC400 New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the 1SC model from CL Vendors

Help me make a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 07:33 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like option A.
Old 05-23-16, 09:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I like the one on the supra Gerrb posted and the one on the SC mikef posted.
Please copy the supra one as best as possible.. lol.
The work in progress one is too tall, not enough angle, and the straight parts at the bottom should be curved to the body line as mentioned... The SC is a curvy car, you can't stick a straight spoiler on it.

My audi has them extend over to the quarter panels but the QP ends are longer and flatter so it works...
on the SC the quarter panel sides curve down pretty fast so it would probably look better if you stop it on just the trunk, but a short piece on either side could work if done carefully.
Old 05-23-16, 11:34 AM
TARMAC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like option A but with more curve across the top and bottom. The spoiler on that Supra is awesome.
Old 05-23-16, 02:06 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As of right now we're going with option B, however we're adding more curve on the bottom.
Old 05-23-16, 03:22 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No offense but simply copying something else isnt a great strategy

IMO you should make some new parts specifically for the SC.

That wing makes the SC look like a 240

Now that supra one would look awesome...I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was carbon

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-23-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 10:21 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

TBH, many people have wanted a rocket bunny style wing for the SC for a while now. and although it's a similar style nobody has filled this market niche except the Taiwanese gentleman that made a limited run. Now that being said if you don't care for it don't buy it.

Anyway with that out of the way, looking forward to a RB style SC spoiler and would love t o see one openly available on the market. I've been wanting to get a wise spoiler for the longest time, but I'd be happy to purchase a RB style in the mean time.
Old 05-24-16, 10:08 AM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

I'm ALL IN FOR BBBBBBBBB!!!!!! You already know me though lol Also guys if you don't like it make your own or simply don't buy it. Can't please everyone...you guys should be happy to even have a company look in the direction of the SC to produce parts. Let alone urethane parts with OEM fitment. Don't like it? Go buy fiberglass or make your own as stated earlier.

Thanks,

That is all

Last edited by MrCJ305; 05-24-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 10:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

obviously if we dont like it we dont have to buy it and can make our own but last time I checked the title actually asked for "help" to make a spoiler... so if suggestions aren't welcome then I am not sure what the "help" part means or even the point of this thread. I guess we could all fly out there and physically "help" them make the spoiler, someone needs to pay for my room and food though, I eat T-bone steaks 4 times a day.
Old 05-24-16, 10:51 AM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
obviously if we dont like it we dont have to buy it and can make our own but last time I checked the title actually asked for "help" to make a spoiler... so if suggestions aren't welcome then I am not sure what the "help" part means or even the point of this thread. I guess we could all fly out there and physically "help" them make the spoiler, someone needs to pay for my room and food though, I eat T-bone steaks 4 times a day.
Do you use A1 steak sauce too???
Old 05-24-16, 11:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

lmaol... exactly what I was about to post this morning when I logged in and saw that comment "If you don't care for it, don't buy it " but I refrained . Ali you beat me, lol. The title says "HELP me make a spoiler ". He is asking for suggestions and opinions .

Last edited by gerrb; 05-24-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 11:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I wash it down with courvoisier
Old 05-24-16, 07:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

In for updates on final design!
Old 05-25-16, 04:08 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

He asked if people like A or B better. You said neither it's ricer looking and started going on about referring completely different spoiler designs. While that's all fine and dandy it doesn't help if you prefer A OR B. as obviously he's already developed this item and wants opinions on that. but w/e
/rant

Waiting on finished results from OP
Old 05-25-16, 05:02 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

RANT .... FAIL ...lol , cause as shown on his posts here before you even posted on this thread and told people "if you don't care for it don't buy it" , he had been already making changes on his original design by adding more curves which means he is listening to the suggestions of members of this community. He is open to changes which some people, who can be his potential clients , want.

Apparently you have no idea of my side conversations with Irving. I have asked him to consider what people want before making a product because it doesn't make sense business wise to make one when only a handful wants the product . I even reiterated it on my first post . Just like my side conversations with him about his vertex bumper for which I warned him beforehand. But he insisted that so many on facebook, other social media sites and clublexus wanted it, so instead of asking people's opinions first, he right away did a group buy. Where are all those people now ? As shown on that thread , not even 10 signed up for it and he himself acknowledged or admitted that it was another " If you make this I will buy it thing for a lot of people... just another wishful thinking for many" . When APTech did it , majority of those wishful thinkers disappeared, lol. And being a forum sponsor who help in one way or another keep the forum alive , we want them to be successful on the products they make for the community. And the only way they can be successful is if they get the opinion or they gauge the market for their envisioned product. And not just , this is it ... take it or leave it . A good market research helps in the success of a product. That leads me to the reason why I gave him my opinions on my first post.. he asked A or B ... I said NEITHER for me on his original designs . They simply were both ugly for me since they didn't conform to the body lines of the car in all angles. But I didn't stop there . I tried to help by not only giving him my criticisms but also giving him suggestions or things he can consider. I was concerned about the roundness in all angles.

He had learned his lesson that is why this time he was wise to ask for peoples' opinions and suggestions. Otherwise what is the point of this thread ? He could have simply started a group buy and gave two choices A or B just like he did on the AC poly-urethane kit group buy where he had a couple of choices from which people can choose, lmaol. The thread title clearly says "HELP me make a spoiler " . So he was open for a discussion.

He did a prototype A & B so we have something to start with for the purpose of a discussion. Nobody in their right mind will commit to something without seeing what they are paying for. It didn't mean that his designs were set on stone. If they were, then this thread has no meaning....it has to be closed or deleted, lmaol. What he needs is a group buy thread only . I am glad he is wise enough to listen and had been modifying his original designs based on what he has heard so far from this community. After all it will be his company who will benefit ... more sales for them if more people would like the design of their product .

Going back to the topic :

Irving - do you have a picture of the spoiler from the side on the rear of the car ? how does it look like ? Is it flat and straight on top compared to the curved / round rear of the SC ? Your pictures show that it is just plain straight on top if you view it from the side.. I maybe wrong though . I understand what you are saying.... that from behind you have done all those curves to conform with the curve of the roof top.

Does it look like this on the side Irving ?

Name:  rocketbunny_zpsgaq6jo4x.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  627.1 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 05-26-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 09:18 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first spoiler tends to look like a 78 Z28 spoiler without the accompanying qtr pnl side pieces & that car had a flat rear. Not good for the SC body lines as agreed with gerrb. Whatever is designed must flow with the body lines and not cause turbulence with the air flow over the roof & such. A bit taller will help with down force without making the car squirrely on the rear at speed. Third light has to be included. It will take a bit of work up, but I think you should be able to design.a good functioning one that looks good and be unique.

Quick Reply: Help me make a spoiler