CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing Tuned Intake and Throttlebody Development Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 07:49 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We have a revised tune for the high altitude cars, but you are in California so none of this applies to you. Do you realize that in Colorado they are driving at 5000ft+ elevation? These guys are easily loosing 30-50hp due to the thin air.

Rafi
I think it's closer to 80 hp with FBO :O
Old 08-10-16, 09:48 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Here is the formula that I found:

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

So using that formula and approximating about 500 crank HP with the Tuned intake/ Headers/ Exhaust/ Tune
5280 x .03 x 500 / 1000 = a 79.2 crank HP loss
Pretty damn close to 80 which equates to 15.84% loss at our altitude at the crank assuming were at 500 crank HP with the above mods (FBO)
Old 08-17-16, 12:32 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SO, has anyone that is closer to sea level dyno'ed their cars with tuned intake and headers + exhaust , all I have seen is RR's dyno results on their page, just curious to see what others have got with this.
Old 08-17-16, 03:25 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently got the RR Intake installed and couldn't be happier. I already had their Tuned ECU and was impressed with the mid-range torque increase and better drivability, and wanted more! The tuned intake improved the throttle response and better low end torque. And btw, this is with headers AND high flow cats! I know that this has been a question about whether cars with headers and high flow cats would benefit...to me there was definitely a improvement. I do not have dynos to back this up, just how the car overall feels much better with the ECU tune and tuned intake combo.
Old 08-17-16, 06:26 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you Supraman16 for the update.

I too currently have RR's tuned ecu along with an intake, headers, & exhaust with high flow cats. I've been hesitant about getting RR's tuned intake, since the issue of the torque converter unlocking with the extended rev limit has yet to be resolved.

Did you opt for an increased rev limit with either of your ecu tunes?
Old 08-17-16, 09:24 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
Thank you Supraman16 for the update.

I too currently have RR's tuned ecu along with an intake, headers, & exhaust with high flow cats. I've been hesitant about getting RR's tuned intake, since the issue of the torque converter unlocking with the extended rev limit has yet to be resolved.

Did you opt for an increased rev limit with either of your ecu tunes?
Nope, I kept the stock rev limit. I figured the Lexus engineers kept the stock rev limit at 6800 for a reason so I didn't want to mess with it.
Old 08-18-16, 08:15 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I sent in my OEM ID last night to Rafi, so assuming I get that file/tune back today I will install the intake tonight!

Question is how long did the install take for you guys? Any special tools that I need to have ready to make this go easier?

Thx
Old 08-18-16, 11:26 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you removed the intake box before that pretty much sums it up for what you will need. remember make sure you have the tune file before installing the new intake without the tune the car will not start properly..
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I sent in my OEM ID last night to Rafi, so assuming I get that file/tune back today I will install the intake tonight!

Question is how long did the install take for you guys? Any special tools that I need to have ready to make this go easier?

Thx
Old 08-18-16, 11:51 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar

Thx
It might take a little time to get everything lined up since you have an HPS intake tube. You will probably end up pushing the cone end as far towards the engine as you can in order to get both ends of the maf housing seated properly. Other than that it is a piece of cake.
Old 08-18-16, 02:28 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
If you removed the intake box before that pretty much sums it up for what you will need. remember make sure you have the tune file before installing the new intake without the tune the car will not start properly..
Thx for the feedback!

Originally Posted by STLblueF
It might take a little time to get everything lined up since you have an HPS intake tube. You will probably end up pushing the cone end as far towards the engine as you can in order to get both ends of the maf housing seated properly. Other than that it is a piece of cake.
Thanks for the tips
Old 08-19-16, 12:06 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Got everything installed tonight! It took a little longer than anticipated because I was taking my time, then a few other F owners came over to lend a hand.

This will be a temporary 3 week tune situation because I don't have my headers on yet, but will be getting them in in the next couple of weeks, then will install and re-tune.

My quick analysis/review on this intake is it's flipping awesome! lol the car sounds mean and very mechanical when accelerating It actually brings back the majority of the sound back to the intake as opposed to the exhaust. Looking forward to the headers then the re-tune to utilize what the intake was designed for!
Old 08-21-16, 09:35 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't dyno my car yet to see how much power is making so I won't know if the intake makes power until I do. A few things I've noticed after the intake.

Throttle response was improved. The car feels more responsive/lighter when accelerating.

The sound of the intake increased noticeably and it's glorious. The induction noise is very addicting and I want to hammer it all the time to hear it. It evens out the exhaust sound. Those of you with really loud exhaust might not notice it though.

MPG has improved noticeably as well. The most I had gotten up to now was 28mpg before headers and exhaust. After headers and exhaust it went down a bit and the most I got was 27mpg. Yesterday I went for a ride and got up to 32.3. I've never seen this number in that display before. When I took the pic it was at 32.2 but it fluctuated between 32.2 and 32.3. Definitely an improvement there.

Name:  20160821_001450.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  69.1 KB

For these three reasons alone I'd do the intake again. I'm waiting for temps to go down a bit to take it back to the track and see what it does now.
Old 08-21-16, 10:40 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Love seeing results!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-21-16, 06:29 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so you purchase the new intake...nice Jon...see u in October!!!

Originally Posted by jat0223
I haven't dyno my car yet to see how much power is making so I won't know if the intake makes power until I do. A few things I've noticed after the intake.

Throttle response was improved. The car feels more responsive/lighter when accelerating.

The sound of the intake increased noticeably and it's glorious. The induction noise is very addicting and I want to hammer it all the time to hear it. It evens out the exhaust sound. Those of you with really loud exhaust might not notice it though.

MPG has improved noticeably as well. The most I had gotten up to now was 28mpg before headers and exhaust. After headers and exhaust it went down a bit and the most I got was 27mpg. Yesterday I went for a ride and got up to 32.3. I've never seen this number in that display before. When I took the pic it was at 32.2 but it fluctuated between 32.2 and 32.3. Definitely an improvement there.

For these three reasons alone I'd do the intake again. I'm waiting for temps to go down a bit to take it back to the track and see what it does now.
Old 08-21-16, 07:39 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
so you purchase the new intake...nice Jon...see u in October!!!
Yeah I've had it for about a month already and it's great.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing Tuned Intake and Throttlebody Development Thread