CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 11:25 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Haha that thread was posted by my friend Marshall, who do you think let him know bout the tune
Old 01-25-16, 11:27 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
Will your ECU tune pass CA's smog check testing?
I have all cats in place. I wouldn't want to have to remove/ship/reprogram/ship back/reinstall every two years to deal with CA's smog testing.
Also, if I needed to take my ISF in to Lexus for some type of engine issue (I'm probably one of the few that actually paid $$ for an extended Lexus warrantee), would this tune be detectable by Lexus? If it was detectable, I'll assume my warrantee would be null and void?
Since our cars doing have to go on the sniffer anymore, I would assume it would pass if the car isn't throwing any codes and it passes the visual. Don't quote me though
Old 01-25-16, 11:57 AM
jjdurrant
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious why it took so long for someone to "crack" the ECU? Was it just lack of interest\supply on the tuners part? I had heard before I bought the car that it was the fact the ECU on the US models was locked, encrypted, etc or something so it wasn't even possible to modify. I am ecstatic that RR supports us and has put in the work. . Just curious on more background and how it came to be.

PS... and to what danger do we have with the dealer overwriting it whether accidentally or purposely? I bring this up because it was a common issue on a Caliber SRT4 I had.. same situation.. company did remote ECU flashes but dealer would routinely overwrite when the car was brought in for work as manufacturer updates became available. This may be a non issue with the ISF but I wanted to still bring it up to make people aware.. and will RR honor a reflash as needed? Is RR making any cosmetic\marking on the ECUs as they are flashed?

Last edited by jjdurrant; 01-25-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 12:41 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

List
1. Isfpower
2. MileHIFcar
3. jjdurrant
4. Meanstreak
5. Rickna
6. Cmsal168
7. Evil Teo
8. CelicaGT4
9. Biggu
10. wmjeffreyw
11. Gymkata - don't leave me out
12. mikersoft
13. tas02 (lucky 13)
14. daevilg
Old 01-25-16, 12:42 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdurrant
Just curious why it took so long for someone to "crack" the ECU? Was it just lack of interest\supply on the tuners part? I had heard before I bought the car that it was the fact the ECU on the US models was locked, encrypted, etc or something so it wasn't even possible to modify. I am ecstatic that RR supports us and has put in the work. . Just curious on more background and how it came to be.

PS... and to what danger do we have with the dealer overwriting it whether accidentally or purposely? I bring this up because it was a common issue on a Caliber SRT4 I had.. same situation.. company did remote ECU flashes but dealer would routinely overwrite when the car was brought in for work as manufacturer updates became available. This may be a non issue with the ISF but I wanted to still bring it up to make people aware.. and will RR honor a reflash as needed? Is RR making any cosmetic\marking on the ECUs as they are flashed?
Lack of interest and knowledge in the community. In a similar example look at gaming consoles. Specifically the PlayStation 3. Sony did a great job at locking down the console to prevent people from running unofficial software on it. It took hackers months and months to find a way to exploit the console, tricking it, into letting someone load a reverse engineered and modified software to allow unofficial software to be loaded and ran. How they did it was difficult but simple. Anything that talks to the processor had to have security hashes that would match up with the expected hash. Drawing from memory here... They had 3 keys. Private Key, Unique Key, and Random Number Key. Once they figured out what they were looking at they figured out someone got lazy and made what was supposed to be a randomly generated number key a hard number. The unique key is console specific and they found it quickly. With two of the 3 they were able to get the third by process of elimination. From there, now that they had access to read what was being sent to/from the processors on the board they figured out how to write to them. And a few months later people were running home made software and copy protected games on their consoles.

All electronics work in a similar manner honestly. If you can't get through the normal bus, in our case the OBDII port, you open up the ECU and start reverse engineering. Find the spec sheets for the various chips and determine what processors are what. All processors and chips have test ports/pins. JTAG, etc. It's how they verify that it was assembled correctly. Start listening in on those pins and with the expertise to decipher what's being said and replied back with you can find yourself with full access. Find a way to upload the OS, kernel, etc from the ROM(s), decrypt/decipher it and you now have the tools to tune it. Whether they have their own software now or found a way to build a map in a RomRaider type opensource tuning software is what I'm curious about. That's an abridged version, but that's the gist of how its done.

If I were a speculating man, I'm thinking that's how they did it. Rafi posted a swirled picture of them interfacing directly to the mainboard in the ECU. Developing their own tuning software would be too costly. They used test points on the ECU to get in and decrypted it for use in an opensource or another popular tuning software their tuner already had access to. Which makes me curious if they have the same ability as TIS to reflash via the OBDII port now... Or if they had to piggy back off of those test points to reflash. Regardless now that the deed is done they hold the "keys". Whether they keep those "keys" or find a profitable way to allow us to fully tune our own cars without having to send an ECU everytime is up to them...

Regardless, I'll be buying the tune.

Last edited by 96300NAZ; 01-25-16 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 12:50 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I think the intro of the RC F made the market more appealing for tuners. Its is all about demand IMO.
Old 01-25-16, 03:01 PM
toyer14
Rookie

Originally Posted by jjdurrant

I had a caliber srt4 before my isf 2
Old 01-25-16, 04:34 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Rafi, I'm not sure if it was asked already, but was the part throttle tuned for street driveability? Did it need to be tuned?
Old 01-25-16, 05:14 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in

List
1. Isfpower
2. MileHIFcar
3. jjdurrant
4. Meanstreak
5. Rickna
6. Cmsal168
7. Evil Teo
8. CelicaGT4
9. Biggu
10. wmjeffreyw
11. Gymkata - don't leave me out
12. mikersoft
13. tas02 (lucky 13)
14. daevilg
15. Eddyisf
Old 01-25-16, 06:38 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Mr benjaminS will pass anything
Unfortunately not where I go for smog certification.
Old 01-25-16, 07:12 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
I'm not just a member of clublexus I'm also a member on some other car forms including m3post I also have a BMW, what I found interesting was last night I saw that someone started a thread on the on ISF TUNE. It seems like some of the M3 boys are interested in the fact that the ISF finally has Tune available .Most of feed back has been positive there were a few fanboys making negative comments about looks or giving inaccurate information regarding performance. Surprisingly enough most of the negative comments and inaccurate information was beaten back by fellow M3 owners that were knowledgeable about the performance abilities of the ISF.
I was wondering what the response would be by the bmw guys. True car guys are pretty cool/respectful regardless of the make of the car they drive
Old 01-25-16, 07:31 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Still patiently awaiting info about what this ECU tune will do for a stock or catback only ISF....
Old 01-25-16, 08:00 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Still patiently awaiting info about what this ECU tune will do for a stock or catback only ISF....
Agreed as I have the hps intake and borla exhaust. I'm pretty sure we'll know soon.
Old 01-25-16, 08:11 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
I'm not just a member of clublexus I'm also a member on some other car forms including m3post I also have a BMW, what I found interesting was last night I saw that someone started a thread on the on ISF TUNE. It seems like some of the M3 boys are interested in the fact that the ISF finally has Tune available .Most of feed back has been positive there were a few fanboys making negative comments about looks or giving inaccurate information regarding performance. Surprisingly enough most of the negative comments and inaccurate information was beaten back by fellow M3 owners that were knowledgeable about the performance abilities of the ISF.
I found the post...lol...I found it quite interesting to read...thanks for chiming in for us. Honestly, like another member mentioned, a true enthusiast would always respect its fellow competitors. Regardless of make or model. I still admire the M3, I just can't stand the arrogance of some of the owners. Either way, I'm glad I have my F.
Old 01-25-16, 09:32 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
That makes two of us

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!