CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 01:35 AM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Guys, I've said this before... this is not a weekend dyno tune. I estimate that we have put nearly 2000miles in ROAD testing the tune on our shop ISF... so far! No worries. Rafi
Thanks for answering that again, I just have to ask because of all the terrible experiences the 2is community has been put through before
Originally Posted by SPearson79
I am happy to say... It no longer targets the stock values, so the only thing it can learn towards - are the new targets.
This is exactly what I wanted to know, thank you.
Old 01-24-16, 01:41 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes I know a Dyno is just a tool..

I've been dynoing the Lexus platform since 2002.. When the aftermarket started tinkering with the IS300..

Trust me I know all about the process

Joe Z
Oh okay, I just thought I'd answer since you asked what the total RWHP gains we can expect.

Rafi posted the results on the first page, conservatively 30-40whp, but if you look at the chart it's more like 40-50whp. Now go apply that "gain" to whatever dyno you baselined on, then I say add a range of 30-50whp on top for "tuned" numbers.

I would expect an ISF that pulls 400whp on a specific dyno with Header/Exhaust would see 430-450whp after the flash.(on the same dyno)
Old 01-24-16, 02:12 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Let's roll 😍👍
Old 01-24-16, 04:13 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I missed it but what fuel octane level was the tune done on? I only run 94

I just want to add that your prices are always too fair and don't know how you stay in business. Thanks for not taking advantage of the community.
Old 01-24-16, 05:21 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by DanISFast
Oh okay, I just thought I'd answer since you asked what the total RWHP gains we can expect.

Rafi posted the results on the first page, conservatively 30-40whp, but if you look at the chart it's more like 40-50whp. Now go apply that "gain" to whatever dyno you baselined on, then I say add a range of 30-50whp on top for "tuned" numbers.

I would expect an ISF that pulls 400whp on a specific dyno with Header/Exhaust would see 430-450whp after the flash.(on the same dyno)

In the coming weeks we will see a range of gains. All I can do is assure everyone that the gains are real, you can really feel them, the tune is stable, and our dyno results speak for themselves.

I will go further to say that for those of you who are planning to dyno your cars, I urge you to datalog them as well on the dyno. That way we can evaluate your dyno data and work with you to make the tune even better if required.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-24-16, 05:27 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Great Questions for the majority CA modified IS F's

Also, many of us have spent countless hours / $ on the dynos.. Some personal... Some R&D..

What are the chances of giving on some before & after SAE corrected numbers set to 5, using 5th or 6th gear..??
No one on here uses uncorrected numbers or 4th gear.. (search dynos done last 7 years)

Many of us already know on average (DYNOJET) a base IS F bone stock is approx 350 RWHP.

Average Joe well made Catback Exhaust we're at 375 RWHP

Thrown in well made aftermarket headers and we break the 400 RWHP barrier..

Simple question..

In any of these scenarios, what is the total range of RWHP gains we can obtain from the TUNED ECU ??

Thanks for all your hardwork soo far..!!

Joe Z

Those are good questions. I have some datalogs from California cars. The good news is that I am seeing basically the same ignition advance curves that I see on 93 octane cars. Seems like direct injection is effective at negating some of the theoretical limitations of 91 octane.

Also in searching the web for ISF dynojet results, I am always surprised that some of the highest are in California!

The bottom line is that we should most of the gains even on 91 octane. But in the case you are racing your car and need that little extra punch, you can just use a 1/2 can of Torco Accelerator and you will have much better than 93 octane.

It is extremely hard for me to anticipate the exact range of gains everyone will see. I have seen dyno plots posted on the net over 400whp with headers... I can tell you that based on our testing, and on the Dynojet we use, there is no way that is happening without the tune. There are very big differences in the ignition timing, fueling, cam, and torque maps that give us the HP and TQ gains we are quoting.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 01-24-16 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 06:21 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Rafi,
I went through this entire thread but I still had some questions.

1. Will this tune would work on a STOCK or Cat-Back only (with stock catted headers/primary cats intact) ISF? If so, what would we expect in terms out how much power we would gain?

2. Will this tune work with 91oct fuel? That's all we got here in California.
Would be interested in hearing this too if there are any gains to be had on a stock IS-F.
Old 01-24-16, 06:40 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Those are good questions. I have some datalogs from California cars. The good news is that I am seeing basically the same ignition advance curves that I see on 93 octane cars. Seems like direct injection is effective at negating some of the theoretical limitations of 91 octane.

Also in searching the web for ISF dynojet results, I am always surprised that some of the highest are in California!

The bottom line is that we should most of the gains even on 91 octane. But in the case you are racing your car and need that little extra punch, you can just use a 1/2 can of Torco Accelerator and you will have much better than 93 octane.

It is extremely hard for me to anticipate the exact range of gains everyone will see. I have seen dyno plots posted on the net over 400whp with headers... I can tell you that based on our testing, and on the Dynojet we use, there is no way that is happening without the tune. There are very big differences in the ignition timing, fueling, cam, and torque maps that give us the HP and TQ gains we are quoting.

Rafi
I'm wondering if the theory that the US spec ISF was tune for 91 octane to begin with from the factory is true. However now with this ECU tune which is done mainly on 93 octane, the factory safeguards for crappy fuel are now gone. It would be nice to see if there was STOCK ISF tuned with this ECU upgrade on 91 octane to see if it's as stable and safe as those ISF's documented here that have been done on 93oct with catless exhaust/headers. I don't want to be running "octane boosters" for a safety...I believe most octane boosters are nothing but snake oil, and completely worthless. A $650 ECU tune is relatively cheap, but a blown engine is substantially more expensive.
Old 01-24-16, 07:22 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

If it makes a difference add me to the list-

1. Isfpower
2. MileHIFcar
3. jjdurrant
4. Meanstreak
5. Rickna
Old 01-24-16, 10:39 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I don't want to be running "octane boosters" for a safety...I believe most octane boosters are nothing but snake oil, and completely worthless. A $650 ECU tune is relatively cheap, but a blown engine is substantially more expensive.
Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation. In other words, octane rating reveals a fuel's ability to resist combustion under pressure. In fact, octane rating has nothing to do with the energy capacity of a compound or mixture...flash point and autoignition temperature are the two governing properties that determine the "octane rating" of a compound. Flash point refers to the lowest temp. at which the surface of the liquid ignites and AI temp. is the lowest temp. at which a liquid will spontaneously ignite w/o a spark or fire. It is prudent for a fuel mixture to have a low flash point: a fuel should be fairly volatile in order to ignite. Thus, flash point is a function of the vapor pressure of a compound, that which should not be considerably low for a fuel (fuels should be volatile). Conversely, a fuel mixture should have a high autoignition temperature. If it requires a high temperature to ignite a fuel without the use of a spark plug, that fuel is less likely to spontaneously combust in a cylinder chamber under adverse pressure and temperature conditions.
So...find any organic compound matching these two characteristics, and you have a good octane booster. Yes, there are caveats--ethanol is an octane booster, but it absorbs water (water corrodes metal components of the fuel system).
Anyway, compounds like the aromatics, alkenes, detergents, even chelating ligands increase the octane rating of fuel. I don't wanna go more into the chemical properties of each of these classes (too much to write) and how they work in an internal combustion engine, but much like you should read the ingredient label on food you purchase, the same goes for octane boosters (if applicable).
Rafi uses Torco, and it's basically just race fuel concentrate (this contains things like toluene and MMT)--YES, it will work, google the compounds ;-)
Old 01-24-16, 11:01 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll probably wait a month or two but then
Old 01-24-16, 11:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

What are the chances of giving on some before & after SAE corrected numbers set to 5, using 5th or 6th gear..??
No one on here uses uncorrected numbers or 4th gear.. (search dynos done last 7 years)

Many of us already know on average (DYNOJET) a base IS F bone stock is approx 350 RWHP.

Average Joe well made Catback Exhaust we're at 375 RWHP

Thrown in well made aftermarket headers and we break the 400 RWHP barrier..

Simple question..

In any of these scenarios, what is the total range of RWHP gains we can obtain from the TUNED ECU ??

Thanks for all your hardwork soo far..!!

Joe Z
I have seen dyno plots posted on the net over 400whp with headers... I can tell you that based on our testing, and on the Dynojet we use, there is no way that is happening without the tune.

Rafi
I have been watching this thread with interest and the predecessor thread in the general ISF forum since you guys starting talking about your ECU mod less than a month ago. I do know you have been working on it longer than that, so my hat's off to you folks for finally coming up with a solution we all have been looking for, for so long. It also seems that another tuning company, R/T Tuning is also able to tune the ISF & the RCF. They appear to be located very close to you. Don't know if that's a coincidence or the tune was developed by the same guy, Steve Pearson

As Mr. Z stated, many of us have used the Dyno as a tool to see if we can garner some HP from a few bolt-ons. The standard has become the Dynojet Dynamometer. And it has been standard practice to use 6th gear, because it is the direct 1 to 1 ratio through the transmission. Whether this is right or wrong is not in question because it has become the standard on this forum. IMHO, it is the correct standard, but again that really doesn't matter.

Why you can not achieve those numbers is mystifying to me. I've personally seen two ISF's run using the criteria I outline above. One is mine (I actually ran the runs) and the other a friend. I produced close too 393 WHP and my Friend produced 400 WHP. I have the graphs to prove it, but I'm sure you've seen them already. I have a Takeda Intake, PPE Exhaust (with Hi-Flow Cats) and Headers. My friend has an Injen Intake, JoeZ Exhaust (No Cats) and PPE headers. I believe I'm lower due to the cats, but I personally believe running cats is the responsible thing to do. But, that's just me.

So, please don't say we can not approach 400WHP with I/H/E, because through the years it's been proven that we absolutely can.

I Believe Mr. Z is being a bit to generous with the numbers he stated. It's been my experience that a stock ISF produces somewhere between 340HP to 345HP at the wheels. With I/H/E 400WHP certainly is within reach.

Now, again I applaud your efforts and I am a customer. I own you control arm bushings (USRS System) and your Racing Air/Oil Separator. Both are well designed products and I luv 'em.

Again, Best Of Luck with the Tune, if I can be of any help please let me know.

Lou
Old 01-24-16, 11:56 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have been watching this thread with interest and the predecessor thread in the general ISF forum since you guys starting talking about your ECU mod less than a month ago. I do know you have been working on it longer than that, so my hat's off to you folks for finally coming up with a solution we all have been looking for, for so long. It also seems that another tuning company, R/T Tuning is also able to tune the ISF & the RCF. They appear to be located very close to you. Don't know if that's a coincidence or the tune was developed by the same guy, Steve Pearson

As Mr. Z stated, many of us have used the Dyno as a tool to see if we can garner some HP from a few bolt-ons. The standard has become the Dynojet Dynamometer. And it has been standard practice to use 6th gear, because it is the direct 1 to 1 ratio through the transmission. Whether this is right or wrong is not in question because it has become the standard on this forum. IMHO, it is the correct standard, but again that really doesn't matter.

Why you can not achieve those numbers is mystifying to me. I've personally seen two ISF's run using the criteria I outline above. One is mine (I actually ran the runs) and the other a friend. I produced close too 393 WHP and my Friend produced 400 WHP. I have the graphs to prove it, but I'm sure you've seen them already. I have a Takeda Intake, PPE Exhaust (with Hi-Flow Cats) and Headers. My friend has an Injen Intake, JoeZ Exhaust (No Cats) and PPE headers. I believe I'm lower due to the cats, but I personally believe running cats is the responsible thing to do. But, that's just me.

So, please don't say we can not approach 400WHP with I/H/E, because through the years it's been proven that we absolutely can.

I Believe Mr. Z is being a bit to generous with the numbers he stated. It's been my experience that a stock ISF produces somewhere between 340HP to 345HP at the wheels. With I/H/E 400WHP certainly is within reach.

Now, again I applaud your efforts and I am a customer. I own you control arm bushings (USRS System) and your Racing Air/Oil Separator. Both are well designed products and I luv 'em.

Again, Best Of Luck with the Tune, if I can be of any help please let me know.

Lou
Lou, I think you misread with Rafi posted. He didn't say 400WHP cannot be reach with I/H/E.

He said ,"based on our testing, and on the Dynojet we use"

With Rafi's method of testing (4th gear, hood closed ect, plus the Fabspeed dyno) he would not see 400WHP without a tune. He never said it was impossible on another higher reading dyno..
Old 01-24-16, 12:09 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also curious to see why lobuxracer hasn't chimed in, I'm very curious to see his opinion on all this. If anybody has more knowledge on this subject, it would be him.
Old 01-24-16, 12:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Anyone know any dyno place in orange county open saturday or sunday ? I can dyno my car before and after tuned in 6th gears to be sure videos and lots of pictures will be up .

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!