CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 10:34 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
The throttle response was improved. It wasn't night and day, but I noticed the car to be more fun and mpg-dwindling
I have an Apexi throttle controller and no problem using it in any mode...does the same thing as it did before: makes it really hard not to slip the back end out when applying throttle on a turn.

More impressions on the tune (from post 206):
it's just fun! with the snow storm that's buried cars almost up to their side view mirrors, I haven't had a chance to play with the car much more.
I did have time to do some highway pulls--the torque increase is substantial and is so evidently felt. The car pulls so much harder in 6th or 7th on the highway. I never downshift to pass as it is, but now the pull is even sillier.
To answer a few questions...yes, my car is completely catless and O2 sims are not needed anymore with the tune.
This is great to hear Renatik. If the snow clears by next weekend I might make the trip from NY. Hopefully it'll be released by next weekend.
Old 01-23-16, 10:57 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if I'd be able to pass smog catless in ca now with the tune?
Old 01-23-16, 12:11 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by calteg
I'd assume linearity. When the same pedal movement translates to a larger throttle opening than stock, it becomes more difficult to dial in smooth throttle inputs. Honestly not sure why you would need the throttle remapped.

I'd rather see the shifting remapped when in manual mode. When you drop down several gears there's a distinct lag as the ECU figures out if you're going to mechanically overrev or not, then it executes the downshift. Irritating.
Exactly, it's just annoying when you can't drive a car smooth because the littlest throttle input causes the car to lurch forward. If I'm taking a tight, slow turn I can get tire spin which is just a little much. I like my car to feel fun and peppy but not when I'm creeping through a parking garage chirping the tires like a teenager.
Old 01-23-16, 12:25 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
Exactly, it's just annoying when you can't drive a car smooth because the littlest throttle input causes the car to lurch forward. If I'm taking a tight, slow turn I can get tire spin which is just a little much. I like my car to feel fun and peppy but not when I'm creeping through a parking garage chirping the tires like a teenager.
It was definitely not that bad when I was using a throttle controller, even when I had my Apexi throttle controller on an aggressive setting you just get used to it and you can drive smooth again. Unless you're jabbing at the throttle, I don't see how you would be chirping while creeping around.

Every time I get out of my ISF and drive my wife's RX350, her throttle feels very jumpy and I often chirp the tires from stoplights until I get used to it after a few miles. Same thing with my dads 5.7 Tundra.
Old 01-23-16, 01:01 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
It was definitely not that bad when I was using a throttle controller, even when I had my Apexi throttle controller on an aggressive setting you just get used to it and you can drive smooth again. Unless you're jabbing at the throttle, I don't see how you would be chirping while creeping around.

Every time I get out of my ISF and drive my wife's RX350, her throttle feels very jumpy and I often chirp the tires from stoplights until I get used to it after a few miles. Same thing with my dads 5.7 Tundra.
In the cold with 305PSSs, the throttle control on SP3 and a painted parking garage it's extremely easy although this is obviously an extreme example I still don't like the throttle controler. If I ever turn it on its to use Eco mode on the highway.
I had a 2011 TSX for a while and I hated the throttle in that car. I couldn't even pull away from a stop sign smoothly most of the time.
Old 01-23-16, 01:09 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally I find the throttle to be just right in sport mode. Now normal mode, that's a different story, but the wife likes normal mode just fine I guess.

I'm still curious if this tune leans the car out a bit, as it runs quite rich from the factory. I'm also a tad concerned about reliability but I guess that's always something you have to worry about when you start modding. I'm still under warranty for the next 2 years so I guess there's that.
Old 01-23-16, 01:28 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

After installing the Apexi unit in late November, I've driven the F only in Sport mode with the controller in the high throttle (red) mode (not my daily driver). It sounds like I may be using the controller's low throttle & eco modes after getting RR's tune & TB, especially on slick roads.
It's time to install the torsen & some chassis upgrades.
Old 01-23-16, 01:29 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
This sounds amazing, and if I read this correctly, the tune will hold past the 200 or so mile ecu learning curve?
Bump for this unanswered, but very important question. This is where we always get sold snake oil.

Last edited by NorCalIS; 01-23-16 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 02:55 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Bump for this unanswered, but very important question. This is where we always get sold snake oil.
^yes. The new parameters are part of the actual maps.
Old 01-23-16, 03:30 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

^yes. The new parameters are part of the actual maps.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry if I sound stupid here, as I was taught there was no such thing as a dumb question, so here it goes. The ecu will use the new parameters to continually remap to the most efficient version of the tune? Or the tune is the new remap and the ecu will never go through its continual learning process?
Old 01-23-16, 04:02 PM
toyer14
Rookie

The throttle response was improved. It wasn't night and day, but I noticed the car to be more fun and mpg-dwindling
I have an Apexi throttle controller and no problem using it in any mode...does the same thing as it did before: makes it really hard not to slip the back end out when applying throttle on a turn.

More impressions on the tune (from post 206):
it's just fun! with the snow storm that's buried cars almost up to their side view mirrors, I haven't had a chance to play with the car much more.
I did have time to do some highway pulls--the torque increase is substantial and is so evidently felt. The car pulls so much harder in 6th or 7th on the highway. I never downshift to pass as it is, but now the pull is even sillier.
To answer a few questions...yes, my car is completely catless and O2 sims are not needed anymore with the tune.
awesome,def getting once they r ready to tune.

thanks
Old 01-23-16, 06:13 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Guys, I've said this before... this is not a weekend dyno tune.

I estimate that we have put nearly 2000miles in ROAD testing the tune on our shop ISF... so far! No worries.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-23-16, 06:29 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by isfdude
That's awesome news. My other question is how does the RCF have 60 more Horse power than the ISF on the same engine?

Its very similar but certainly not exactly the same engine. The main contributor to the higher HP is the higher compression ratio. RCF also has larger MAF housing, larger Throttlebody, different cams, and some other changes.

Rafi

Old 01-23-16, 06:29 PM
SPearson79
Driver School Candidate

I am happy to say...

It no longer targets the stock values, so the only thing it can learn towards - are the new targets.
Old 01-23-16, 06:34 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry if I sound stupid here, as I was taught there was no such thing as a dumb question, so here it goes. The ecu will use the new parameters to continually remap to the most efficient version of the tune? Or the tune is the new remap and the ecu will never go through its continual learning process?

All modern cars have very advanced ECU's, and the ISF is no exception. The ISF ECU continually uses real-time feedback from its 4 knock sensors to adjust ignition timing. We do not mess with this process, because it is essential to ensure the dependability of your engine under a wide range of conditions.

We test and ensure the stability of our tunes in 3 ways:

(1) Carefully tune ignition, fuel, airflow, engine load, and cam maps to avoid detonation.
(2) Test the tune extensively on the road.
(3) Test on dyno, and intentionally induce high intake air temperatures in order to test the stability of the tune (you will notice in our dyno results we show runs with cool intake are, and high intake air temp).

Quick Reply: New Product RR-Racing ISF ECU Tune.... FINALLY!!!