CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Supercharger Kit for your IS350?
Absolutely! I would purchase if available.
59.26%
I might be interested.
34.26%
Not really that interested.
5.56%
What's a Supercharger?
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 02:32 PM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Yep, mostly we buy bolt ons (as a lexus user) for the aesthetics, not for the performance since there will be no real gain unless a tune is performed (I have been told... over and over again T.T)
I agree. I saw the exhaust on Mesh707's is350 and I would love to have that on mine
Old 05-26-16, 04:04 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
I agree. I saw the exhaust on Mesh707's is350 and I would love to have that on mine
Originally Posted by SRC350F
Yep, mostly we buy bolt ons (as a lexus user) for the aesthetics, not for the performance since there will be no real gain unless a tune is performed (I have been told... over and over again T.T)
With full bolts- on + Tune you will gain more power !! Watch this video !! Can't wait to get Stillen supercharge on my hands

Old 05-27-16, 04:46 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Old 06-13-16, 09:14 AM
MrSlopra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN
While currently it doesn't propose an issue, they are in the talks of all 50 states adopting CARB. 13 currently use CARB regulations and if all 50 do it would get restricted on a manufacturing level most likely and not on the consumer level.

A supercharger kit is not an easy part to uninstall for an inspection.
Outside of these concerns how is development going? Any numbers to share regarding price or HP? Any roadblocks other than the possible CARB issue?
Old 06-15-16, 10:04 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSlopra
Outside of these concerns how is development going? Any numbers to share regarding price or HP? Any roadblocks other than the possible CARB issue?
The only roadblock at this point is really CARB/EPA. Our correspondence with them regarding Smog legality of a kit to be sold in the US will determine if we go into production.
Old 06-17-16, 05:17 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Please help your brother overseas with your supercharger !! I really can't wait to beat more cars on the street !! Don't worry about the Tune because i have a friend in Dubai can tune the stock ECU !! Waiting for your respond !! Thanks STILLEN

Check out my latest video I did upload in my YouTube channel

Old 06-19-16, 06:42 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

What do you think ?

I think it needs STILLEN supercharger LOL

Old 06-22-16, 03:08 PM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So a bit of an update.

We have been in development for quite a while on this project. It is something we and the community have been very excited about. Unfortunately it does not look like we will be able to complete the project due to emissions regulations from both CARB and the EPA. We know that there are plenty of customers who do not care about emissions legality. However, because of our standing with CARB and their regulations of our parts, we cannot risk being shut down from selling a kit like this with such a large financial investment.
Old 06-22-16, 04:22 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So a bit of an update.

We have been in development for quite a while on this project. It is something we and the community have been very excited about. Unfortunately it does not look like we will be able to complete the project due to emissions regulations from both CARB and the EPA. We know that there are plenty of customers who do not care about emissions legality. However, because of our standing with CARB and their regulations of our parts, we cannot risk being shut down from selling a kit like this with such a large financial investment.
Id like to thank the California Air Resources Board for slowly killing an entire industry with insane regulations based off of junk 'science'
Old 06-22-16, 04:42 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

So a bit of an update.

So their will be no supercharger kit ?
Old 06-22-16, 07:24 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So a bit of an update.

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!

Well that's disappointing.
Old 06-23-16, 12:50 AM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So a bit of an update.

You've had 64 "would buys" on the poll, if only 20 bought it, you're looking at $140-200K if you had it out now before CARB or the EPA is even an issue. That's quite a bit of income. I know you have expenses but honestly, and I know it's not quite this simple, all you really have is fab work for s/c mount and intake piping...you're not designing a supercharger. You can spend money developing a tune, or you can not, since there now tuning options for us. Give that option to us. You've obviously designed mounts for the kit, why not sell everything individually? That way we have to piece it together and CARB and EPA is not a factor?

I would understand more if you simply said "we decided not to go forward" than keep on blaming CARB or the EPA.

I realize that I may rub you or others the wrong way, but this CARB and EPA thing was in the works well BEFORE you even polled about a s/c kit.
Old 06-23-16, 05:45 AM
sdiver68
Driver

So a bit of an update.

Basically you are saying that you have the R&D mostly complete but don't want to release it under the Stillen banner due to CARB/EPA backlash. Would you be willing to license the engineering to another business?
Old 06-26-16, 05:23 PM
MrSlopra
Driver School Candidate

So a bit of an update.

Two questions for you guys: why did you not go into this project with CARB in mind as a goal? The Infiniti products you sell and in fact the one just released in March was CARB compliant. And regardless of that, why can't you guys head down this road now? I'm sure there would be an overlap in R&D but nothing that would make the project any less lucrative I would think, especially with y'all's experience in CARB compliance. There's a huge untapped Lexus performance department that you guys could fill quite nicely like you have with Infiniti. There's no "go to" vendor as far as performance goes.

This really sucks, a kit like this was definitely one of the reasons I was going to be holding on to this car since I have been seriously disappointed in the power department since owning. Will likely just end up with a vette now lol. Was planning on that eventually, but might be sooner than later now unless Stillen or someone else can deliver

I understand the business side of everything though Stillen, if it can't work it can't work. Y'all are still an awesome company!
Old 07-26-16, 07:49 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So a bit of an update.
We have been in development for quite a while...
Just checking in and it looks like it has been an interesting two-three months since I've posted.

STILLEN, I completely understand the amount of risk (and financial burden) this project can bring to your company and future projects. However, what above another avenue of approach, like "risk mitigation" or "risk transference," part of the Risk Management Framework (RMF). Why have the company (STILLEN) accept the risk of your products if restrictions are strictly on CARB and EPA federal and state standards? Yes, there is a new vision for the future (2020 I think) but, current and previous vehicles would not follow suit with these regulations since they are already produced. I'm going on a rant because I haven't had my morning coffee yet, haha. But please consider the following AND by no means am I an engineer nor is my information (above or below) directive, just a respectful suggestion. =)

Outside the Box:
The 2014-current 2GR-FSE engine is currently labeled as a LEV-II ULVE (Ultra-low emission vehicle) and was rated a 6 out of 10 for the state of California (see attachment #1). For other states (i.e. Alaska), can have more restrictive SMOG control policies; however, it would seem that many other states (Alaska, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado, etc. to name a few) have rated the 2GR-FSE as a BIN 5 (CARB LEV-II, 5 out of 10). With that said, by adding a supercharger, the enthusiasts and your team may not get the performance out of the SC to meet CARB and EPA regulations.

If STILLEN were to develop the SC on a stock vehicle---any aftermarket parts that are added should not negatively affect the EPA, CARB or OBD-II for regulation & law purposes---, then couldn't the SC and tune be designed to meet or improve EPA and other readings? The positive aspect is approval to put a SC on the market, yet the negative aspect is that STILLEN is not offering the true potential of the kit that is build. However, the caveat would be another tune that could utilize the potential of the SC, which may not meet inspection requirements in some states. Those that could opt in for said performance tune would be requited to sign specific waivers or legal agreements between STILLEN and the consumer that STILLEN is not responsible for the miss use of an "Off Road" or "Track Only" tune / modification of the original design. You could also require the consumer to have the document notarized for full verification and legal agreement. Ultimately, you are doing "risk transference" on to the consumer and how they utilize your product.

Conclusion:
Overall, I think the design and reading this forum has been fun. I hope there can be some other avenue we can take. I really miss the sound of any forced induction on a nice car, especially an IS350. I (personally, unlike other) aren't looking for the high end performance aspect, but more for the aesthetics and sound to make the car "pop" out from regular luxury or ricers on the street.

Thanks again, and now time for me to get some coffee...so over due!
-Myles
Attached Thumbnails IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll-screen-shot-2016-07-26-at-08.47.58.png   IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll-screen-shot-2016-07-26-at-08.48.12.png  

Quick Reply: Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll