CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Supercharger Kit for your IS350?
Absolutely! I would purchase if available.
59.26%
I might be interested.
34.26%
Not really that interested.
5.56%
What's a Supercharger?
0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 08:02 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN
That is one of the reasons the project is a little on hold. If we can't engineer it to pass CARB there is a chance the EPA will ban sales of all non-CARB approved products in the aftermarket world
For anyone wanting to make the voices louder...

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2016...utmk=265032903

Myth: This proposal is not changing current law.

Congress never intended the Clean Air Act to be interpreted as giving the EPA the authority to regulate vehicles used solely for competition, regardless of whether the vehicles were once emissions-certified road vehicles. Once a vehicle is taken out of use as a road vehicle and dedicated solely to racing, it is beyond the laws which apply to road vehicles. The EPA and SEMA fundamentally disagree on this point. SEMA has cited the statutory text, legislative history, and congressional intent of the Clean Air Act, as well as 46 years of history whereby vehicles have been converted from certified road status to status as race vehicles without any objection from EPA.

Myth: The EPA is merely clarifying the law as it relates to motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles, and its proposal only affects vehicles driven on the streets.

The EPA is adding new language to the regulations. This new language states that a motor vehicle can never be modified, even if it is used solely for competition and never again used on public roads. The EPA is seeking to prohibit modifications affecting any emissions-related component, such as engines, engine control modules, intakes, exhaust systems, etc.

Myth: The EPA’s proposal only affects medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.

The EPA inserted the problematic language into a rulemaking that focuses on medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, however, the rulemaking also includes a section entitled “Miscellaneous EPA Amendments.” The language affecting “vehicles used solely for competition” (i.e., racecars) was a “miscellaneous EPA amendment” and would, in fact, affect all light-duty vehicles, not just trucks.

Myth: SEMA is overreacting, this will never get passed.

The EPA has issued a proposed regulation. Regulations are issued by federal agencies and not voted on by elected representatives. If the language becomes final (EPA is expected to issue a final regulation in July), then it will have the force of law and can only be challenged in federal court or overturned by Congress.

Myth: The EPA could not enforce this proposal.

The proposal would give the EPA the power to enforce against any vehicle owner that converts his or her emissions-controlled motor vehicle into a vehicle to be used solely for competition. Whether or not the EPA chooses to enforce, it would be illegal for an individual to convert their motor vehicle. Additionally, the EPA has stated that it will enforce against aftermarket companies that sell parts for use on the converted vehicles, which will limit racers’ access to parts.

Myth: The EPA’s proposal would not affect vehicles that have already been converted into racecars.

It is the EPA’s position that they will be able to enforce against vehicles that have already been converted in the past. While the EPA has indicated that it does not currently plan on enforcing against individuals, it does plan on going after the companies supplying parts for vehicles that have already been converted. So, if you have a racecar that began life as a street car, this regulation would affect your access to parts, and leave you open to enforcement if the agency so chooses.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal would not affect racecars with original emissions controls.

The EPA notes that race vehicles with original, unmodified emission controls, including the original engine configuration, engine control module, intake and exhaust components, do not violate the law. The issue is that very few competition race vehicles have been left unmodified and in a certified configuration.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal would not affect purpose-built racecars, such as sprint cars, open-wheel dragsters and the cars that currently compete in NASCAR.

The EPA agrees that vehicles that were originally manufactured for racing are excluded from regulation under the Clean Air Act. However, the EPA believes this exclusion extends only to vehicles that were never certified for on-road use or issued a VIN.

Fact: The EPA’s proposal will not affect the exemption for “nonroad vehicles,” such as dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and boats used solely for competition.

The EPA has indicated that it will continue to allow “nonroad vehicles” (dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, boats) to be exempted from certain emissions regulations if they are used solely for competition. Distinct from its stance on motor vehicles, however, the EPA’s current position on nonroad vehicles allows emissions-certified nonroad vehicles to be converted into vehicles used solely for competition.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2016...utmk=265032903

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...bill/4715/text

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 04-03-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-05-16, 12:25 PM
DonYojan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do I sign
Old 04-19-16, 08:23 PM
MrSlopra
Driver School Candidate

Woohooo!! Carry on Stillen, let's see this supercharger ASAP!

After an outpouring of rabbling from the automotive community, the EPA is clarifying its position.

Or rather, its unclarifying as far as the Agency is concerned. A new statement from the EPA asserts that the paper in question; Phase 2 Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles, “will not contain clarifying language regarding modification for racing purposes.”
http://jalopnik.com/the-epa-will-not...all-1771338067
Old 04-20-16, 01:31 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Please SILLEN I can't wait to purchase this supercharger !! What's the ETA ?
Old 04-26-16, 09:25 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how is the progress going ? My 4GS is waiting for some FI especially with a tune
Old 05-08-16, 04:28 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

any update
Old 05-13-16, 10:30 PM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

Originally Posted by STILLEN
That is one of the reasons the project is a little on hold. If we can't engineer it to pass CARB there is a chance the EPA will ban sales of all non-CARB approved products in the aftermarket world
It can be marketed to states with more lax laws. I'm pretty sure most people install offroad parts for daily and remove them for inspections.
Old 05-16-16, 10:56 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE21tuner
It can be marketed to states with more lax laws. I'm pretty sure most people install offroad parts for daily and remove them for inspections.
While currently it doesn't propose an issue, they are in the talks of all 50 states adopting CARB. 13 currently use CARB regulations and if all 50 do it would get restricted on a manufacturing level most likely and not on the consumer level.

A supercharger kit is not an easy part to uninstall for an inspection.
Old 05-16-16, 11:00 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Mark looking forward to what gets accomplished especially for that tunable ECU
Old 05-21-16, 08:31 PM
TelAviv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sexis350
i easily paid 4k more for the 100 more hp from 250 to 350. If i can make my car a 450 that would be great
The 250 & 350 are in relation to engine displacement not horsepower. You would not end up with 450hp. More like 406hp.
250=2.5 liter 350=3.5 liter, not horsepower lol
Old 05-25-16, 02:08 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

no love for the 2IS/3GS platforms? id love to get a kit for my 3GS...
Old 05-26-16, 02:11 PM
jhardy
Rookie

So assuming this supercharger gets out on the market, would it be best to get full bolt-ons to go along with the supercharger or would it be compatible with the stock components?
Old 05-26-16, 02:17 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Stock is fine, but the more bolt ons you have, the better the performance you could get. Especially if they have a ECU Tune rolling, endless possibilities O.O. Plus in their original statement they are gunning for around 100 wHP increase which can be 6-7 PSI. A aftermarket intake + headers + exhaust with a SC and a tune just makes us giggle. But again we will have to wait until it occurs, so cross your fingers, clutch your buttocks and pray they succeed!
Old 05-26-16, 02:22 PM
jhardy
Rookie

Originally Posted by SRC350F
Stock is fine, but the more bolt ons you have, the better the performance you could get. Especially if they have a ECU Tune rolling, endless possibilities O.O. Plus in their original statement they are gunning for around 100 wHP increase which can be 6-7 PSI. A aftermarket intake + headers + exhaust with a SC and a tune just makes us giggle. But again we will have to wait until it occurs, so cross your fingers, clutch your buttocks and pray they succeed!
Ha yea I figured it wouldn't be enough power to make me want to spend the money on those items. Plus, I could just continue to save money in case the supercharger hits the market.
Old 05-26-16, 02:29 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jhardy
Ha yea I figured it wouldn't be enough power to make me want to spend the money on those items. Plus, I could just continue to save money in case the supercharger hits the market.
Yep, mostly we buy bolt ons (as a lexus user) for the aesthetics, not for the performance since there will be no real gain unless a tune is performed (I have been told... over and over again T.T)

Quick Reply: Gathering Interest IS350 STILLEN Supercharger Interested Thread/Poll