CL Vendor Products for 2IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 2IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 11:56 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it is great that RR has bought a 3IS, this way the cross platform between a GS/RC isn't too far off. The only thing that they will have to do is really tweak out the variable difference in the ECU between the 3 platforms, it could be simple or it something drastically different, only time will tell.
Old 07-27-16, 12:13 PM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tro209
Aaaaaand.. Hope is gone again. ISF it is lol.
how so? The 3is and 2is 350 share the same motor and ecu. If they s/c the 3is, they are gonna have to tune it
Old 07-27-16, 12:40 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
how so? The 3is and 2is 350 share the same motor and ecu. If they s/c the 3is, they are gonna have to tune it
It was supposed to be taken as more of a joke haha. But yeah even though the engines are the same, I can't help but feel like the 2is won't get support for their mods. Idk why, I guess it's just a gut feeling.
Old 07-27-16, 05:14 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was supposed to be taken as more of a joke haha. But yeah even though the engines are the same, I can't help but feel like the 2is won't get support for their mods. Idk why, I guess it's just a gut feeling.
If you visit the RR Racing website and take a look at the products for both the 3is and 2is, you'll see that they're essentially the same. Any R&D done to the 3is can easily be transferred to the 2is. Have some faith man!

Last edited by TsunamiF; 07-27-16 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 11:12 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
If you visit the RR Racing website and take a look at the products for both the 3is and 2is, you'll see that they're essentially the same. Any R&D done to the 3is can easily be transferred to the 2is. Have some faith man!

Don't worry I got faith in what rr racing can accomplish. Hopefully soon we'll see some real improvements to the 2GR-FSE as a whole across the whole Lexus lineup. Aftermarket cams, superchargers and a transmission tune for the 2IS would be nice
Old 08-10-16, 12:06 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
If you order the tune now and they figure out the transmission tune or figure out how to better tune the ecu they will send you the new files for the tune anyway, so it doesn't really hurt to buy it now.
So, let's say I buy it now, and down the line they do finally tune our tranny, the new files will be sent out for free? I'm actually tempted to buy the OBD tune @ the $499 sale price later this month, although I really do want to hold out on the tranny tune if possible from RR or TTFS.

For those of you who've had the tune since it came out... What's your opinion on it now? I'm a bit curious on gas mileage, if it's the same or has it dropped a bit?

edit: Also, in regards to the RPM, if we choose 7k for now, is this easily changed to the 7.2k option if we decide to switch it later on?

Last edited by Zmon; 08-10-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 02:49 PM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zmon
So, let's say I buy it now, and down the line they do finally tune our tranny, the new files will be sent out for free? I'm actually tempted to buy the OBD tune @ the $499 sale price later this month, although I really do want to hold out on the tranny tune if possible from RR or TTFS.

For those of you who've had the tune since it came out... What's your opinion on it now? I'm a bit curious on gas mileage, if it's the same or has it dropped a bit?
where are u seeing this sale price?
Old 08-10-16, 02:52 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
where are u seeing this sale price?
It's on rr racing website. Just look up the OBD hand held tune and it should say $499 instead of the usual $799.
Old 08-10-16, 04:51 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's still saying $799 for me. If it is $499 I'd be very intrigued!
Old 08-10-16, 04:53 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
It's still saying $799 for me. If it is $499 I'd be very intrigued!
Oh I see your an ISF owner. Yeah the special is only for the is350/250 not for the F. I was under the impression that you were looking for a tune for a regular IS.
Old 08-10-16, 04:56 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Oh I see your an ISF owner. Yeah the special is only for the is350/250 not for the F. I was under the impression that you were looking for a tune for a regular IS.
Haha Ahh got my hopes up! Thanks anyway. Any luck on your search for an F?
Old 08-10-16, 05:00 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Haha Ahh got my hopes up! Thanks anyway. Any luck on your search for an F?
Nah I decided to pay my is350 off in full before buying the F. I figured this way I don't feel like I threw away money on my exterior and performance mods on my car. Plus by keeping it I can have my 350 for show (stance and all that) and an F for Performance and track. That's not to say I wouldn't trade in my 350 if there was a great deal to be had on an ISF though Regardless of decision you will see me post my future ISF in the F section on Club Lexus within a year for sure
Old 08-10-16, 06:02 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Nah I decided to pay my is350 off in full before buying the F. I figured this way I don't feel like I threw away money on my exterior and performance mods on my car. Plus by keeping it I can have my 350 for show (stance and all that) and an F for Performance and track. That's not to say I wouldn't trade in my 350 if there was a great deal to be had on an ISF though Regardless of decision you will see me post my future ISF in the F section on Club Lexus within a year for sure
Nothing wrong with that! Especially with all the work you have put into it. Good luck. I look forward to it and meeting you at one of the future F meets!
Old 08-10-16, 06:07 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Nothing wrong with that! Especially with all the work you have put into it. Good luck. I look forward to it and meeting you at one of the future F meets!
Thanks, and like wise!
Old 08-11-16, 07:02 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

The updated files should be free for those that purchased the tune. Though no tranny tune is currently available from either of the vendors, it sounds like there's an extra hurdle to overcome with having that potential tune being available via the OBD option. After having this tune for several months and driving the car in manual mode most of the time, I've learned that while you're at WOT, as long as you initiate your upshift by 6500RPM (where the color begins to turn red on the tachometer), the transmission will safely shift between 7k-7.2k without bouncing off the rev limiter. Honestly, as long as you adjust your shift behavior to how the tranny AI behaves, a transmission tune isn't required (though it would be a nice add-on if it ever comes to fruition).

I personally make great use of the tune and the higher RPM option on a regular basis since I've waited for years for a tune like this to be available for USDM IS350 vehicles (SARD Racing Japan had an ECU tune available for JDM IS350s that I was envious of for a long time). The exhaust note from the higher revs is addicting (which can also impact your gas mileage). If you're not driving the car aggressively, the gas mileage appears to be the same (I've historically averaged around 18.5-19.5 MPG during my daily drives with or without the tune).

edit: Also, in regards to the RPM, if we choose 7k for now, is this easily changed to the 7.2k option if we decide to switch it later on?
I think that since the higher RPM option is now available via the OBD tune, changing your max RPM can be done by uploading a different tune file to your car. On the IS-F tune thread, some owners mentioned having the option to go back to a stock tune anytime they like via the OBD tune. I don't have an OBD unit since I had sent out my ECU for the tune. Hope this info helps!

Last edited by redspencer; 08-11-16 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tune