CL Vendor Products for 2IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 2IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 01:32 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Old 07-20-16, 01:37 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Lol must be nice. If only I didn't still owe money on my IS350 I would get an F. I actually seriously thought about trading up but figured I didn't want the money I already spent on my 350 to be wasted
Old 07-21-16, 06:31 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Last I heard they were more focused on the ISF. I don't blame them though to be honest. The ISF crowd is generally more performance focused then the ISx50 owners. Even though there are quite a few of us who want to see improvements on our cars transmission and engine, there just isn't as much interest I guess compared to the ISF guys.

And that there lies the problem. The majority of the folks in the ISX50 community are more focused on building show cars than performance cars. I don't blame them since the Lexus brand was inherently known more for being a luxury marquee and less of a performance oriented brand like BMW. It wasn’t until the debut of the F line (IS-F and LFA) and the subsequent F-Sport lineup of the 4GS/3IS/RC that Lexus started to catch the interest of enthusiast drivers who had previously written off the Lexus brand as being a Japanese Buick.

Back to the topic on hand, the IS-F community is receiving more attention and more performance-related products and development because the owners who purchased their IS-Fs tend to be in the market for more “go fast” upgrades, whether it’s for straight line performance or higher cornering capabilities. We do have a few enthusiasts within the ISX50 community that are performance oriented but unfortunately this group is the minority instead of being the majority.

I can’t speak for the number of RR-Racing ECU tunes purchased between the IS350 and IS-F community but based on my frequent visits to both the 2IS and IS-F sub-forums, it appears that the number of CL IS-F owners that have purchased the ECU tune upgrade dwarfs the number of CL IS350 owners that have upgraded their ECU. Based on this informal analysis, I don’t blame companies for the lack of further development of a product if potential customers aren’t willing to invest in the product itself.

I was one of the early birds that purchased the ECU tune knowing that the OBD option or transmission tweaks weren’t yet available. I treated this purchase as sort-of a kickstarter investment to companies like RR-Racing to show that there are folks interested in products like this and in hopes that if more people followed suit, it would permit further development/improvements to the ECU and potentially to the tuning of the transmission itself. I have vested interest in having the transmission tuned for improved responsiveness as I love the car that I built and I plan on keeping it long-term. I know a lot of members on this thread have been holding out on purchasing the ECU tune until the transmission tuning is part of the package but I fear that if everyone continues to hold out, it may be seen as a lack of interest in the product and may forever halt further development of our ECUs. Just my two cents…
Old 07-21-16, 07:06 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Default RR Racing ECU Tune

Originally Posted by redspencer
And that there lies the problem. The majority of the folks in the ISX50 community are more focused on building show cars than performance cars. I don't blame them since the Lexus brand was inherently known more for being a luxury marquee and less of a performance oriented brand like BMW. It wasn’t until the debut of the F line (IS-F and LFA) and the subsequent F-Sport lineup of the 4GS/3IS/RC that Lexus started to catch the interest of enthusiast drivers who had previously written off the Lexus brand as being a Japanese Buick.

Back to the topic on hand, the IS-F community is receiving more attention and more performance-related products and development because the owners who purchased their IS-Fs tend to be in the market for more “go fast” upgrades, whether it’s for straight line performance or higher cornering capabilities. We do have a few enthusiasts within the ISX50 community that are performance oriented but unfortunately this group is the minority instead of being the majority.

I can’t speak for the number of RR-Racing ECU tunes purchased between the IS350 and IS-F community but based on my frequent visits to both the 2IS and IS-F sub-forums, it appears that the number of CL IS-F owners that have purchased the ECU tune upgrade dwarfs the number of CL IS350 owners that have upgraded their ECU. Based on this informal analysis, I don’t blame companies for the lack of further development of a product if potential customers aren’t willing to invest in the product itself.

I was one of the early birds that purchased the ECU tune knowing that the OBD option or transmission tweaks weren’t yet available. I treated this purchase as sort-of a kickstarter investment to companies like RR-Racing to show that there are folks interested in products like this and in hopes that if more people followed suit, it would permit further development/improvements to the ECU and potentially to the tuning of the transmission itself. I have vested interest in having the transmission tuned for improved responsiveness as I love the car that I built and I plan on keeping it long-term. I know a lot of members on this thread have been holding out on purchasing the ECU tune until the transmission tuning is part of the package but I fear that if everyone continues to hold out, it may be seen as a lack of interest in the product and may forever halt further development of our ECUs. Just my two cents…
Completely agree. And I really hope the lack of updates doesn't mean they've given up on us Isx50 owners. I guess the problem here is that a lot of us who aren't tuned are waiting for more of a reason to tune our cars other than just to get an extra 10 ish horsepower. For example, an increased redline is nice but if the car has to be in manual mode with the God awful "shifters" our car has, it kinda ruins it in a way for potential customers. So they hold off on buying the tune... But what they don't realize is that by holding off on the tune, we're basically just indirectly telling RR Racing and the other tuners to stop wasting time on us.

I won't lie to you either, I'm guilty of this as well. I do plan on getting this tune soon in the near future but I'll be upfront and honest with you. I've been focusing on the exterior appearance of my car for last few months and have held off on the tune till it gets more optimized and offers more bang for the buck (transmission tuning, etc..). But I now realize that people like me are the problem. We wait and wait to see what's next but all we do is essentially force RR racing to stop progress on our platform due to lack of interest (sales). So it makes perfect sense that this is the way things are going and it's really disappointing to see. I think the only way we can get the tune to progress is to buy it in its current state. Either way RR racing already said that they would update our tune with whatever new improvements they come up with if something new does indeed happen...

So basically I agree with what you said above, If you guys wanna see progress, we need to show support first. So please ISx50 guys and gals, if your gonna order the tune at some point anyway, let it be now or else this may be the end I'm gonna go ahead and order the tune as soon as possible in this case. Ill put my exterior mods on pause and help show support and interest for the tuners trying to help improve our platform. I'll likely be ordering the obd tune from RR Racing next month (birthday gift to myself) and hopefully, this helps get progress going.

Last edited by Tro209; 07-21-16 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 09:12 AM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you order the tune now and they figure out the transmission tune or figure out how to better tune the ecu they will send you the new files for the tune anyway, so it doesn't really hurt to buy it now.
Old 07-21-16, 09:14 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
If you order the tune now and they figure out the transmission tune or figure out how to better tune the ecu they will send you the new files for the tune anyway, so it doesn't really hurt to buy it now.
Exactly, so by us holding off on the tune till they figure out how to improve the transmission, we're only hindering progress.
Old 07-21-16, 09:21 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Honest question, how many tuned ISx50 owners even are there? So far on the forum I only have seen 3 who have it. Redspencer, Icy350 (who no longer has his IS sadly) and some other user who has headers along with a tune installed. I think there also maybe another 2 ISx50 owners who are tuned but by TTFS.
Old 07-21-16, 11:52 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Technically I am tuned as well, but not from RR or TTFS.

It is interesting because there are so many more ISx50's out there than IS F's, but they're are so fewer people looking for this kind of modification. I had suspected that in the end it would most likely kind of even out, but based on what I've seen on the forums I think there are still more IS F's getting tuned.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 07-21-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 11:37 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still very interested in getting the tune. My issues lie with not being able to play with the tune myself though. My father-in-law has a 750HP CTS-V and he did all of the work himself. I would really like to purchase the tune from RR or whoever, and then be able to further modify it to my liking. I just do not like the restriction of tune files only being the ones that are given to me, but not allowing me to alter them myself.. If that makes sense.
Old 07-22-16, 05:46 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Showing support for the tune is a good idea, but on the flip side what if the ideal results aren't attained? As a more risk-averse person so I don't think I could shell out $1k for the small tune in hopes of more in the future.
Disclaimer - Just a guy curious about the tunability of 2ISs with currently no intention of getting the tune atm. *Not trying to spread negativity, just playing devils advocate"
Old 07-22-16, 11:15 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aspect
Showing support for the tune is a good idea, but on the flip side what if the ideal results aren't attained? As a more risk-averse person so I don't think I could shell out $1k for the small tune in hopes of more in the future.
Disclaimer - Just a guy curious about the tunability of 2ISs with currently no intention of getting the tune atm. *Not trying to spread negativity, just playing devils advocate"
That is true too but at the same time it goes both ways. If no one buys, they (business in general) don't bother making more... So that's something to consider as well.
Old 07-27-16, 09:45 AM
rlydeadly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just order the tune, right now i have ppe headers,invidia mid pipe,custom axle back, fsport filtre, joez intake and ported admision (custom work) i will dyno before tune and after tune. i email rafi and he told me they bought a lexus is350 to develop perfomance parts for it!!
i cant wait for the tuned looking to get more than 300whp!
Old 07-27-16, 10:03 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rlydeadly
I just order the tune, right now i have ppe headers,invidia mid pipe,custom axle back, fsport filtre, joez intake and ported admision (custom work) i will dyno before tune and after tune. i email rafi and he told me they bought a lexus is350 to develop perfomance parts for it!!
i cant wait for the tuned looking to get more than 300whp!
Wow that's great if that's true! Maybe there's hope for the regular IS owners after all?
Old 07-27-16, 10:35 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They actually bought a 3IS and theyre planning to supercharge it as well
Old 07-27-16, 11:34 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by metaleckz
They actually bought a 3IS and theyre planning to supercharge it as well
Aaaaaand.. Hope is gone again. ISF it is lol.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tune