CL Vendor Products for 2IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 2IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tune

Old 05-24-16, 02:09 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rw3
Has anyone with PPE Headers gotten a tune yet? I remember someone saying that they were going to do some testing with RR like a month ago....
I'm interested in this as well. I wanna see if it possibly makes an even bigger difference for cars with headers...
Old 05-24-16, 02:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Hey for those of you who DO have the tune, do you guys think that the tune would make any noticeable improvement in 1/4 mile times? In debating whether or not this tune is really worth it in its current state. I've had one member tell me it feels noticeably stronger but that they don't normally step on it so they wouldn't really know for sure. I, on the other hand, mash on the pedal quite often so I'm very familiar with how my car feels now in terms of power. I've yet to run the 1/4 mile yet but plan to soon. Anyone with a tune wanna chime in??

Also I find it slightly weird that those of owners who have the tune whom I spoke to so far don't really drive their cars all that aggressively. If that were me I'd be stepping on it a lot more than I do now lol. And that's quite a bit
Old 05-24-16, 05:03 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Hey for those of you who DO have the tune, do you guys think that the tune would make any noticeable improvement in 1/4 mile times? In debating whether or not this tune is really worth it in its current state. I've had one member tell me it feels noticeably stronger but that they don't normally step on it so they wouldn't really know for sure. I, on the other hand, mash on the pedal quite often so I'm very familiar with how my car feels now in terms of power. I've yet to run the 1/4 mile yet but plan to soon. Anyone with a tune wanna chime in??

Also I find it slightly weird that those of owners who have the tune whom I spoke to so far don't really drive their cars all that aggressively. If that were me I'd be stepping on it a lot more than I do now lol. And that's quite a bit
Yes. I provided comments on this topic on post #93:

Originally Posted by redspencer
I'm not a drag racer but I would assume yes. Take a look at the 7k redline video that Rafi had previously posted up and also take a look at the dyno chart that he provided.

RR-Racing Tuned 2006 Lexus IS350 - YouTube

You'll notice on the 7k redline video that after shifting at the revised 7k redline, the RPM at the next gear starts a bit higher from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th (around 5300-5500RPM vs around 5000RPM when shifting at the stock redline). You'll be at the peak horsepower powerband (6k-7k) much sooner with the higher rev limit (7k-7.2k) than when having to shift at 6700 RPM.
I validated my assumption at the last autocross I attended where I was able to stay at peak horsepower in 1st and 2nd gear for a longer duration and each time I shifted to the next gear, the RPMs started off about 500 RPMs higher than normal (meaning you'll be back at the peak horsepower range in no time).
Old 05-24-16, 07:17 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redspencer
Yes. I provided comments on this topic on post #93:I validated my assumption at the last autocross I attended where I was able to stay at peak horsepower in 1st and 2nd gear for a longer duration and each time I shifted to the next gear, the RPMs started off about 500 RPMs higher than normal (meaning you'll be back at the peak horsepower range in no time).
Thanks redspencer, It just occurred to me that I may have asked this question before already In an earlier post.. FAIL. Lol

Thanks for your input again. Let me know if you ever manage to get an acceleration video, I think that would help a lot of "on the fence" members out. I really wanna see for myself just how much faster the car is.
Old 05-26-16, 05:02 PM
Smurfzilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read through this post it appears in the beginning the manual shifting on the auto was indicated to be slow. Does this tune "tighten" the response time up?
Old 05-26-16, 05:13 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Smurfzilla
I read through this post it appears in the beginning the manual shifting on the auto was indicated to be slow. Does this tune "tighten" the response time up?
Nope, stays the same as stock in terms of shifting responsiveness. Thats why everyone is waiting for a transmission tune. Then the car will be a ton better to drive than stock for sure
Old 06-21-16, 05:58 PM
Achronos
Driver School Candidate

So a long time lurker to the forums...and since i know people were asking to see a tune with the PPE headers I thought i'd make an entrance to post the dyno I just had completed. I live in Arizona so ambient temps. when the dyno was run was over 90 degrees,also you can see the guy had issues hitting the 7k redline due to the paddle shifters...but i'd be willing to bet the car is easily kissing 300 rwhp. The first run was messed up due to shifting its the reason why it was not included. Unfort. no base dyno as i've had the headers on for over 2 years now.

P.S. dyno was a dynojet.

2008 IS 350/ rr tune/ ppe headers / F-Sport exhaust and intake/ 4 cats still on, front set are high flows, if that matters
Attached Thumbnails RR Racing ECU Tune-is350-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by Achronos; 06-21-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 06:08 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Achronos
So a long time lurker to the forums...and since i know people were asking to see a tune with the PPE headers I thought i'd make an entrance to post the dyno I just had completed. I live in Arizona so ambient temps. When the dyno was run was over 90 degrees,also you can see the guy had issues hitting the 7k redline so i'd be willing to bet the car is easily kissing 300 rwhp.

P.S. dyno was a dynojet.

2008 IS 350/ rr tune/ ppe headers / F-Sport exhaust and intake/ 4 cats still on, front set are high flows, if that matters
Interesting, thanks for this post! To be honest , even though I wasn't expecting our cars to hit the magical 300whp mark with headers and tune, I'm still kinda disappointed your numbers proved me right... But oh well I guess lol. You wouldn't happen to have a before Dyno test too would you? Not all dynos read the same so it would be even more beneficial to see what gain can be expected out of a tune with headers installed.
Old 06-21-16, 06:15 PM
Achronos
Driver School Candidate

Nope no baseline, as ive had the car for about three years and the headers on for about two.
Old 06-21-16, 10:41 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Nope no baseline, as ive had the car for about three years and the headers on for about two.
Can you feel a noticeable difference between before and after the tune? Other than increased redline?
Old 06-21-16, 10:56 PM
Achronos
Driver School Candidate

absolutely, feels more explosive when you go Wot, from a dig with vsc/ traction off definitely have some wheel spin that I didn't have before...its been awhile since I've had the headers put on, but from what I remember it feels like more of a pronounced increase in power than even after the install of the headers without the primary cats, unfort the raspiness without the cats was killing me so i had the high flows put on.

Last edited by Achronos; 06-21-16 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 12:05 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Achronos, where in AZ are you? I had PPE put new metal core HFCs on my car and it sounds amazing. Also, where did you get your dyno done at? I would be interested in dynoing my car again and then get the tune and dyno again.
Old 06-22-16, 12:09 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So a long time lurker to the forums...and since i know people were asking to see a tune with the PPE headers I thought i'd make an entrance to post the dyno I just had completed. I live in Arizona so ambient temps. when the dyno was run was over 90 degrees,also you can see the guy had issues hitting the 7k redline due to the paddle shifters...but i'd be willing to bet the car is easily kissing 300 rwhp. The first run was messed up due to shifting its the reason why it was not included. Unfort. no base dyno as i've had the headers on for over 2 years now.

P.S. dyno was a dynojet.

Very nice! We finally have some evidence that all of these things add up to nice power for the 2GR-FSE. Wonder what we'd be at without the high flow primary cats....
Old 06-22-16, 02:44 PM
Achronos
Driver School Candidate

I'm over in Buckeye 15mins past Luke AFB pretty much last exit before you get to San diego, the dyno was done by the guys at Black Market Racing down in Pheonix/Tempe, a monster horsepower shop working on multiple cts-v pushing 2k hp! Also before I had it dyno'd it had no primary cats and after I had them put on honestly I noticed no difference, and really it would only be about a 3 hp loss according to the guys at PPE. Then again when you're pushing and hoping for a certain number every little bit counts...lol.

Last edited by Achronos; 06-22-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-24-16, 03:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Rafi,

Is there a projected timeline on when RR-Racing will look into tuning the transmission for both the 2IS350 and IS-F as part of the overall ECU tune (if it's still in the agenda)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tune