CL Vendor Products for 2IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 2IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 10:09 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazcsitri
Is there any dyno graph of a is350 with ppe headers and full exhaust before and after tune?
there will be soon. Im driving to PA the weekend of the 26th to get the tune and some dyno runs in. PPE headers/x piped exhaust. I'm sure rafi will post em up
Old 03-14-16, 10:57 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazcsitri
I was looking for an after rr tune with headers and exhaust gains. I know the is350 that was tuned and dyno graph uploaded had stock headers and cheap exhaust system....im curious how much power the tune makes with headers
My bad, I misunderstood.

I am sure there will be several dynos posted in the upcoming weeks with various mods to includes headers. I'm looking forward to them!
Old 03-17-16, 01:12 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So any further input on the tune Redspencer? Now that its been a while since youve insalled it?
Old 03-18-16, 05:32 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
So any further input on the tune Redspencer? Now that its been a while since youve insalled it?
I've driven about 300 miles since the tune and there are no indications to lead me to believe that the tune is reverting back to stock as the car still pulls hard all the way to 7200 RPMs when the transmission is in S-mode (manual mode). As part of the new ECU calibration/learning process, I created many opportunities to drive the IS350 at WOT and attempted to find the optimal RPM range on when to select the next higher gear in order to account for the shift delay while in S-mode (which can be found in my previous post #115).

As much as I love the ECU tune, I will say that if there's one new feature that I would like to see for a revised tune, it would be a modification to the transmission shift point while in automatic mode or in S-mode. I've noticed that in recent days, I haven't been taking advantage of one of the best features of this tune which is the redline increase. Even though it's a blast to have the motor rev to 7200 RPMs when you're in the selected gear in S-mode, it's also difficult to maximize the revolutions when you have to account for the transmission lag when upshifting at the higher RPMs.

For example, when in 1st gear while in manual S-mode and accelerating at full throttle, you have to quickly determine when to upshift on the paddle while accounting for the transmission lag and this is where you can run into issues on maximizing your available revs (this this case, 7200 RPMs):

- If you try to upshift early (before 6000 RPMs) in 1st gear, the ECU may decide to shift into second gear when you've reached the old stock rev limit (6500-6700 RPM).
- If you attempt to upshift between 6200-6400 RPM in 1st gear, the ECU will shift into second gear while you're anywhere in the 6700-7200 RPM range (the ECU isn't programmed to have 7200 RPMs at its shift point so you might not be able to maximize the available 7200 redline).
- If you try to upshift after 6400 RPMs in 1st gear, you're sure to bounce off the 7200 redline once or twice which I imagine can't be good for the engine in the long run.

You can apply the same logic when shifting from 2nd->3rd, 3rd->4th, etc though the upshift delay is reduced as you go through the higher gears.

I believe that reprogramming the TCM portion of the ECU to have the shift point modified from the stock redline (6500-6700 RPM) to the new 7200 RPM redline can allow us to enjoy the higher RPM increase more frequently as you can simply go WOT while in automatic mode and let the ECU shift at 7200 RPM for you without bouncing off the rev limit. This upgrade would also benefit users in manual S-mode as you can still upshift early while you're WOT and the ECU would continue to hold that gear until reaching the new shift point of 7200 RPMs before going to the next higher gear. This would greatly alleviate concerns about bouncing off the 7200 RPM redline with the current configuration.

I hope this info helps Rafi and RRRacing with further tuning improvements to the IS350 ECU as it continues to mature based on user feedback. I also hope the transmission shift point revision can be done through the OBD method so I don't have to resend the ECU when an update is available.
Old 03-18-16, 07:38 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I've driven about 300 miles since the tune and there are no indications to lead me to believe that the tune is reverting back to stock as the car still pulls hard all the way to 7200 RPMs when the transmission is in S-mode (manual mode). As part of the new ECU calibration/learning process, I created many opportunities to drive the IS350 at WOT and attempted to find the optimal RPM range on when to select the next higher gear in order to account for the shift delay while in S-mode (which can be found in my previous post #115).

As much as I love the ECU tune, I will say that if there's one new feature that I would like to see for a revised tune, it would be a modification to the transmission shift point while in automatic mode or in S-mode. I've noticed that in recent days, I haven't been taking advantage of one of the best features of this tune which is the redline increase. Even though it's a blast to have the motor rev to 7200 RPMs when you're in the selected gear in S-mode, it's also difficult to maximize the revolutions when you have to account for the transmission lag when upshifting at the higher RPMs.

For example, when in 1st gear while in manual S-mode and accelerating at full throttle, you have to quickly determine when to upshift on the paddle while accounting for the transmission lag and this is where you can run into issues on maximizing your available revs (this this case, 7200 RPMs):

- If you try to upshift early (before 6000 RPMs) in 1st gear, the ECU may decide to shift into second gear when you've reached the old stock rev limit (6500-6700 RPM).
- If you attempt to upshift between 6200-6400 RPM in 1st gear, the ECU will shift into second gear while you're anywhere in the 6700-7200 RPM range (the ECU isn't programmed to have 7200 RPMs at its shift point so you might not be able to maximize the available 7200 redline).
- If you try to upshift after 6400 RPMs in 1st gear, you're sure to bounce off the 7200 redline once or twice which I imagine can't be good for the engine in the long run.

You can apply the same logic when shifting from 2nd->3rd, 3rd->4th, etc though the upshift delay is reduced as you go through the higher gears.

I believe that reprogramming the TCM portion of the ECU to have the shift point modified from the stock redline (6500-6700 RPM) to the new 7200 RPM redline can allow us to enjoy the higher RPM increase more frequently as you can simply go WOT while in automatic mode and let the ECU shift at 7200 RPM for you without bouncing off the rev limit. This upgrade would also benefit users in manual S-mode as you can still upshift early while you're WOT and the ECU would continue to hold that gear until reaching the new shift point of 7200 RPMs before going to the next higher gear. This would greatly alleviate concerns about bouncing off the 7200 RPM redline with the current configuration.

I hope this info helps Rafi and RRRacing with further tuning improvements to the IS350 ECU as it continues to mature based on user feedback. I also hope the transmission shift point revision can be done through the OBD method so I don't have to resend the ECU when an update is available.
Isf people bounce their rev limiter all the time. They said thats how you get the fastest time in a drag race
Old 03-18-16, 08:20 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Isf people bounce their rev limiter all the time. They said thats how you get the fastest time in a drag race
Yes but that's done with the Rev limit set at stock. Doing so with the Rev limit increased by 500-700rpm beyond the OEM spec may introduce additional risk to the motor.
Old 03-18-16, 08:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply Redspencer! Good to see the tune isnt going anywhere and this is the real deal. I also hope the tune can work for the transmission in the near future as well..

One more question if you dont mind. You said the car feels just like it did before the tune unless you hold a gear in Manual S-mode to exploit the higher redline.. However does that also mean that you dont feel the advertised 10-14 whp and torque gain in Auto mode? I understand that the increased redline only works for Manual S mode, but are the gains they claim felt in normal mode too? Or just when you hold the gear until the new 7200 rpm limit?
Old 03-18-16, 10:43 AM
redspencer
OG Member

One more question if you dont mind. You said the car feels just like it did before the tune unless you hold a gear in Manual S-mode to exploit the higher redline.. However does that also mean that you dont feel the advertised 10-14 whp and torque gain in Auto mode? I understand that the increased redline only works for Manual S mode, but are the gains they claim felt in normal mode too? Or just when you hold the gear until the new 7200 rpm limit?
Did I say that? I don't recall stating that. I would have probably been referring to how stable the revised mapping felt with no signs of detonation or ignition timing being pulled back.

Power increase is available on both automatic and manual S mode, whether you redline at the stock setting or the higher Rev limit option. You'll definitely be able to maintain that broader powerband if you can take advantage of the additional revs.
Old 03-18-16, 05:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Did I say that? I don't recall stating that. I would have probably been referring to how stable the revised mapping felt with no signs of detonation or ignition timing being pulled back.

Power increase is available on both automatic and manual S mode, whether you redline at the stock setting or the higher Rev limit option. You'll definitely be able to maintain that broader powerband if you can take advantage of the additional revs.
Thats great to hear then! I ask because I wanna make sure I get my moneys worth with this tune. I wouldnt wanna only experience the gains of the tune when im holding gears since I dont do that verg often. However the new increased redline may just change that

Thanks for your input Redspencer

Oh and one more question for those on the fence such as I am. Overall , would you say this tune has improved the cars power enough that this was well worth the money and the very long 10 year wait? Or do you think this will be too little too late for certain long time owners of the 2IS? Just looking for an opinion. Thanks
Old 03-19-16, 04:53 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Thats great to hear then! I ask because I wanna make sure I get my moneys worth with this tune. I wouldnt wanna only experience the gains of the tune when im holding gears since I dont do that verg often. However the new increased redline may just change that

Thanks for your input Redspencer

Oh and one more question for those on the fence such as I am. Overall , would you say this tune has improved the cars power enough that this was well worth the money and the very long 10 year wait? Or do you think this will be too little too late for certain long time owners of the 2IS? Just looking for an opinion. Thanks

The tuned ignition, cam, and fuel maps are active in both auto and manual modes, only the higher redline is only available in manual shift mode.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-19-16, 06:42 AM
redspencer
OG Member

I'd say the RRRacing ECU tune is well-worth the money and is worth purchasing at its current configuration. It essentially provides the same performance gains you'd receive from purchasing and installing headers at a much lower cost. Just having the Lexus IS350/IS-F ECU tunable after 10 years will open more doors of opportunities in the future (such as forced induction tuning).

The best part of the tune, IMO is the 7200 RPM redline. Listening to the 2GR motor roar beyond 7000 RPM is surreal and feels like the motor has been uncaged from its restraints! This is something that only Lotus owners were previously able to experience.

Again, the only recommendation I can make to make the tune even better is to adjust the shift point of the transmission to the higher redline so users can more easily access the higher rev-limits. This is also a restriction that the IS-F ECU tune currently has and I believe RR Racing is planning on tinkering with the ECU TCM in order to adjust the shift point on all modes of the transmission. Other than that recommendation, RR Racing did a fantastic job at providing this tune to the community while still maintaining OEM daily driving reliability.

As a side note, I'm scheduled for another autocross event in Mid-April so I'll definitely be able to take advantage of the tuning provided by this revised ECU. I'll be sure to report back on how the tune had impacted my driving around the road course.

Last edited by redspencer; 03-19-16 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-19-16, 08:40 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Does the adjusted redline change when the gauge cluster turns red, or does it still do it around 6600-6700rpm?

Jeff
Old 03-19-16, 12:36 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Does the adjusted redline change when the gauge cluster turns red, or does it still do it around 6600-6700rpm?

Jeff
If I remember the video footage correctly, it still does it at the stock RPMs as far as the progression from yellow, orange, and red.
Old 03-19-16, 12:52 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I figured it would as that is (I believe) completely controlled by the cluster, but you never know.

Jeff
Old 03-19-16, 01:36 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Yes, the tachometer turns red after 6500ish RPM and is non-adjustable (AFAIK). I'll use the red gauge cluster as my visual indicator to upshift from 2nd->3rd which is very handy.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tune