CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone know any :GOOD: LS430 indy mechanics in the LA area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 02:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Anyone know any :GOOD: LS430 indy mechanics in the LA area?

I wouldn't trust anyone but the dealer with the big maintenance (already had TB service from dealer), but I need my Power Steering fluid, brake fluid, and differential fluid changed. Everything is fine but it's been probably 40-50k miles since fluids have been replaced (other than coolant from the TB change). I just wanna stay on the safe side. My air filter also needs to be replaced. I would obviously use all OEM parts and just have them charge me for the labor.

I also want to do a tranny drain and refill but I'm a tad skeptical and might leave that to the dealer. Toyota quoted me a price that was half of what Lexus wanted. Smh.

I am a TERRIBLE DIY mechanic, BTW.

So if anyone knows any reputable Lexus/Toyota indy shops (who can work on a 430) in the LA area, let me know please! Thanks!

112k on a 2004 Premium, by the way.
Old 11-12-14, 03:30 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You posted a month ago about the rear diff and tranny service. Why not just get it done by your Beverly Hills Lexus dealer?

The only advantage of dealer work is the nice lounge, loaner car, and "comfort" that if your car breaks down and you can trace it back to a service they performed, then you would get it fixed by them for free. Otherwise, you are not guaranteed that a well experienced Lexus mechanic will be working on your car. You may have one or you may have one that just graduated from training.

Check out the SoCal forums on CL for Southern Cal mechanics that many CL members recommend.

Seems to me if your are a terrible DIY mechanic, I would leave the car stuff like tranny flush or drain and refill up to the professionals or those that are a bit more DIY capable in case something were to go wrong.

For the cheapest dealer work, try Longo Lexus in El Monte. They usually pricematch and give 10% off for AAA members up to $75. They did a drain and refill for 170 ish when i just got the car. I recently did my own "flush" at home. I personally think there is too much fluid in the entire system for a simple drain and refill of 3-4 quarts when the system holds 11.5 quarts. I "shocked" my system with fresh ATF at 129k, a new filter and a pan clean. Car is running just as smooth as before.

Are you certain you can;t replace the engine air filter? well most CL recommended mechs will give you free labor for that.
Old 11-12-14, 03:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by writes123
You posted a month ago about the rear diff and tranny service. Why not just get it done by your Beverly Hills Lexus dealer?

The only advantage of dealer work is the nice lounge, loaner car, and "comfort" that if your car breaks down and you can trace it back to a service they performed, then you would get it fixed by them for free. Otherwise, you are not guaranteed that a well experienced Lexus mechanic will be working on your car. You may have one or you may have one that just graduated from training.

Check out the SoCal forums on CL for Southern Cal mechanics that many CL members recommend.

Seems to me if your are a terrible DIY mechanic, I would leave the car stuff like tranny flush or drain and refill up to the professionals or those that are a bit more DIY capable in case something were to go wrong.

For the cheapest dealer work, try Longo Lexus in El Monte. They usually pricematch and give 10% off for AAA members up to $75. They did a drain and refill for 170 ish when i just got the car. I recently did my own "flush" at home. I personally think there is too much fluid in the entire system for a simple drain and refill of 3-4 quarts when the system holds 11.5 quarts. I "shocked" my system with fresh ATF at 129k, a new filter and a pan clean. Car is running just as smooth as before.

Are you certain you can;t replace the engine air filter? well most CL recommended mechs will give you free labor for that.

Ugh if only I could make up my mind about a tranny drain and refill vs. complete flush!

I just don't want to risk "shocking" the tranny since the fluid has been in there for 10 years.

The tranny shifts beautifully as is, every bit as silky as it was when I acquired the car. Perfect for LA stop and go traffic, but I do realize the car never gets to stretch its legs, highway cruising, which is what the LS does best.

And the Bev Hills Lexus dealer is just complete rape. They wanted $600 for TWO Michelin tires (17"), and like I said the Toyota dealer quoted me HALF for a drain and refill and rear diff service. Wouldn't a Toyota dealer stand by their service as well?
Old 11-14-14, 06:49 AM
JoshuaaXD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid of shocking these trannys. These units don't do that. If you wanna send it up to NorCal I'll do the work cheap at my shop haha.

The services you described can be done by any Joe Schmo. Don't worry about taking it to a smaller shop or the toyota dealer. You shouldn't pay a lot either. These are very cheap services. It would cost you about 100 bucks in gas to drive your car up to me and back hint hint.
Old 11-14-14, 08:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes. Toyota dealers stand by the service and warrant their work. Their are two types of transmission flushes. A power flush and another that slowly pushes the old fluid out and puts new fluid in. The 2nd way is a lot safer overall and I believe that the dealers that do have these machines are of the 2nd type mentioned. Overall, the drain and refill is usually the cheapest and is considered the "safest" method of introducing new fluid into the system.

By the way, Aisin recommends the service every 2 years or 24k kilometers and Lexus Asian, Europe, etc say every 60k. I'm doing the drain and refill about every 15k miles or so. Money well spent on transmission longevity.
Old 11-14-14, 08:15 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well to get back to your original question, I have had good luck with Lexology in Redondo Beach. Mike is a certified Lexus master mechanic and has been very thorough with both of my 430's. I recommend him highly.
Old 11-14-14, 11:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Well to get back to your original question, I have had good luck with Lexology in Redondo Beach. Mike is a certified Lexus master mechanic and has been very thorough with both of my 430's. I recommend him highly.
Googled/Yelped the place and am very impressed. They quoted me $50 for the diff change which is an outstanding price.

The tranny flush was 225, though. And with my transmission I'd prefer to leave that to the dealer. But again, I don't want a flush. I didn't ask about a drain and refill there.

But yes, I will most likely take my car there for (minor) service.....$50 for a diff change that Lexus wanted $220 for? Wow.

Thank you for the recommendation, btw.
Old 11-15-14, 05:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i've used Luxury Motorworks for years, based out of monrovia. The owner and several employees are toyota/lexus master technicians.

Vinam auto in westminster is also pretty well regarded.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-16-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 09:18 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lex Mastertech in Pasadena is pretty well regarded. Its run by a... ex- lexus mastertech! Go figure right!? It used to be LTS mastertech and you can do a search for their reputation.