CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Rent a spot in your driveway or on street in LA 5/hr Minor repairs

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 06:59 PM
blake96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rent a spot in your driveway or on street in LA 5/hr Minor repairs

I just moved to Los Angeles, California and I need somewhere to do diy repairs as my SC400 has 277,000 miles and I currently don't have anywhere to do things such as clean my mas air flow sensor or replace my battery tray. Willing to compensate! Thanks.

Old 10-13-14, 09:10 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Well first off, don't clean the MAF sensor. From what I've read, using any MAF cleaner kills our sensor for whatever reason. Try to read up on some things before doing them just to be safe, good luck finding a spot to work.
Old 10-13-14, 09:16 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

^ listen to beaks about cleaning the MAF sensor. The earlier SC's MAF will be toast. You may also want to try posting in the Southern California section and ask around to see if somebody can help you out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...alifornia-149/
Old 10-13-14, 09:59 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the year.
If you have a Von Karmann vortex MAF you can clean them out just fine you just have to be careful how you do it.
The 92-94 is a von karmann and there are some reflective surfaces which must have a mirror finish to work porperly, so you can't just spray cleaner into the hole and expect it to work, but if you cut a paper towel into a small triangle you can push it into the hole and use a can of compressed air to clean the mirror sensor and then you gotta let it dry for like a day. It''s really finicky and touchy but if you do it right it can have some pretty decent returns.

The first time I did it I didn't get the finish correct so it didn't work properly, but it's definitely worth it if you get it correct. The Hot filament MAF's are a lot easier to clean as you can just spray it with contact cleaner or something along those lines and then just let it dry for an hour or two and its good to go. Make sure you figure out which type you have before you try cleaning it as the process is completely different.
Old 10-14-14, 02:14 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

blake96, that's tough. Do you only live in a residence with street parking? I find I can do a lot on my car without a driveway as long as I don't have to jack up the chassis (which also means no DIY oil changes for now). Changing a battery tray isn't going to be as difficult as anything requiring undercarriage access.

The above warning about MAF cleaning is good advice. Very touchy on these cars.
Old 10-14-14, 09:52 AM
blake96
Driver School Candidate

Default Oh crap

Originally Posted by eknine9
Depends on the year.
If you have a Von Karmann vortex MAF you can clean them out just fine you just have to be careful how you do it.
The 92-94 is a von karmann and there are some reflective surfaces which must have a mirror finish to work porperly, so you can't just spray cleaner into the hole and expect it to work, but if you cut a paper towel into a small triangle you can push it into the hole and use a can of compressed air to clean the mirror sensor and then you gotta let it dry for like a day. It''s really finicky and touchy but if you do it right it can have some pretty decent returns.

The first time I did it I didn't get the finish correct so it didn't work properly, but it's definitely worth it if you get it correct. The Hot filament MAF's are a lot easier to clean as you can just spray it with contact cleaner or something along those lines and then just let it dry for an hour or two and its good to go. Make sure you figure out which type you have before you try cleaning it as the process is completely different.

Well that explains a lot, I've cleaned it with MAF cleaner once before. Thanks for the info. Ill try the right way this time.https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif
Old 10-14-14, 09:56 AM
blake96
Driver School Candidate

I live on a college campus and the security guys will ticket me if they notice me doing more than checking my oil. I did change get away with changing my fuel pump tho. It just looked like I was looking for something in m car for 40 min.
Old 10-14-14, 11:31 AM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what part of LA you are in, but this place might be what you are looking for

http://www.urdreamgarage.com/
Old 10-14-14, 01:29 PM
blake96
Driver School Candidate

Default That's perfect!

Originally Posted by toyemp
Don't know what part of LA you are in, but this place might be what you are looking for

http://www.urdreamgarage.com/
OH CRAP! I've been wishing for a place like this forever. Thank you so much.