CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

2JZ-GTE swap smog passable? Any Shops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 03:51 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2JZ-GTE swap smog passable? Any Shops?

I wanted to know if anyone that has done a 2jz-gte swap that is able to pass smog with flying colors?
Also, I am wondering if there are shops in the socal area that still do 2jz-gte swaps the proper way. (no shortcuts)

I am planning to get my SC back to shape with a 2jz-gte (SMOG passable) and hopefully get it register to be able to drive as a daily in probably in the next 4+ months.

The car is currently registered as a off highway vehicle, but engine on it seems to be on its last limbs and the car has a 1jz in it w/ a t67 turbine w/ supporting mods, and soarer harness.

Ever since i moved back, I became a full time student, i stopped driving the SC, and then registered it as a off highway vehicle. I may sell my daily to get this car back on the road again.

Anyone know in how much this will cost to do now a days?

Here is a pic to give this thread some color...

Last edited by TRDmike; 05-25-14 at 03:54 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 05-26-14, 05:43 AM
that2JZguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean SC! Wheel fitment is excellent as well.

You're gonna have to find a USDM GTE motor out of a MKIV Supra. The JDM Supra/Aristo motors did not come with EGR.
Old 05-26-14, 12:38 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Or you will need all USDM smog equipment and a USDM head. If you want a shop to get your car running with OBD1 USDM setup expect to spend well north of $10,000. If your car is OBD2 you wont get it done... Should just get your current car registered as a daily and "smog" it through a friend.
Old 05-27-14, 02:52 AM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Thumbs up super polluter

Originally Posted by that2JZguy
Clean SC! Wheel fitment is excellent as well.

You're gonna have to find a USDM GTE motor out of a MKIV Supra. The JDM Supra/Aristo motors did not come with EGR.
Appreciate it, those usdm motors are hard to come by now a days.

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
Or you will need all USDM smog equipment and a USDM head. If you want a shop to get your car running with OBD1 USDM setup expect to spend well north of $10,000. If your car is OBD2 you wont get it done... Should just get your current car registered as a daily and "smog" it through a friend.
Last time i checked, someone on here had a shop in socal (I'm guessing up in the OC area) that did it for around $6000, but that was about 4 years ago... Its OBD1, the car pollutes like no other, so getting this car actually emission legal (CA standards) seems impossible with my current budget...
plus, the car is tuned on 93. I never had the chance to find a shop who can tune it down to 91.

Greatly appreciate the inputs though! Guess ill do more research...
Old 05-27-14, 12:14 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

good luck and keep us posted. have you tried uprd or what ever they changed their name too? I know they are expensive though, but they specialize in supras
Old 05-27-14, 12:32 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
good luck and keep us posted. have you tried uprd or what ever they changed their name too? I know they are expensive though, but they specialize in supras
They changed the name to UPFD but with the way California car owners are they have switched to building crazy muscle cars. New name is MHMC or Matt Hunt Muscle Cars. They are a couple doors down from 714tires.
Old 05-27-14, 03:19 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
They changed the name to UPFD but with the way California car owners are they have switched to building crazy muscle cars. New name is MHMC or Matt Hunt Muscle Cars. They are a couple doors down from 714tires.
Wish I lived closer, but thanks for the input.
Looks like there is rarely any to nothing here in SD in regards to shops.
Seems like the import scene is not as big as it use to.
Gives me 2nd thoughts if i should just sell the car... and take a loss
Old 05-28-14, 09:19 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

I'd be happy to give you a hand on it. I'm in Palm Springs and am down in the San Diego area regularly. Depends on whether you wanna make it a project over the summer or want to get it done relatively quick.

As mentioned by 1khpWRX, you can swap the head with a USDM and install the EGR system which will save you a pretty penny. I have stock USDM twins, all the intake piping, manifold, y-pipe, etc. and will give it all to you for one of those 20-packs of Stone IPA.
Old 05-28-14, 09:20 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Never heard of these guys but in my opinion the best place you can take your Supra to is FSR Motorsports in Montclair.
Old 05-28-14, 09:37 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Thumbs up

I'd be happy to give you a hand on it. I'm in Palm Springs and am down in the San Diego area regularly. Depends on whether you wanna make it a project over the summer or want to get it done relatively quick.

As mentioned by 1khpWRX, you can swap the head with a USDM and install the EGR system which will save you a pretty penny. I have stock USDM twins, all the intake piping, manifold, y-pipe, etc. and will give it all to you for one of those 20-packs of Stone IPA.
Never heard of these guys but in my opinion the best place you can take your Supra to is FSR Motorsports in Montclair.
Wish I had a 2jz in the car, sadly the 1jz in it is in need of a overhaul. The car is more than likely going to turn into a project car over the summer.

I'll look those guys up, i just have to figure out how I'm going to transport my car when I do plan to send it to a shop.
Old 05-28-14, 09:46 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Rent a trailer from U-haul. If you don't have a truck, you can rent one of those from them too.

Are you giving up on doing the 2JZ already? I thought the plan was to remove the 1J and do a smog-passable 2J?
Old 05-28-14, 10:07 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Rent a trailer from U-haul. If you don't have a truck, you can rent one of those from them too.

Are you giving up on doing the 2JZ already? I thought the plan was to remove the 1J and do a smog-passable 2J?

That is the current plan, I do have a 2jz-gte block sitting in a box, but I still need to find internals and everything else. I was told the cheapest way is to just buy a 2jz-ge since they are a lot cheaper and take that apart and use those for internals.

This project is probably going to take a long time, but I'll attempt to take the car apart this weekend.
Old 05-28-14, 10:51 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

The assembled GE and GTE blocks are the exact same except for the pistons and oil squirters. GE pistons are a bit taller for higher compression. I find sets of OEM GTE pistons/rods for $100 all day long on Supraforums. Crankshaft would be another $100-150. Realistically you could assemble a GTE block for less than $400. Use the GTE block. Those turbos I've got are yours when you want them.
Old 05-28-14, 11:07 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

The assembled GE and GTE blocks are the exact same except for the pistons and oil squirters. GE pistons are a bit taller for higher compression. I find sets of OEM GTE pistons/rods for $100 all day long on Supraforums. Crankshaft would be another $100-150. Realistically you could assemble a GTE block for less than $400. Use the GTE block. Those turbos I've got are yours when you want them.
Greatly appreciate the info.
I know someone on here is also selling a wire harness by dr.tweek (No idea if it's worth it).
I guess i'll take it one step/part at a time.

I'll let you know when I get you your 20-pack of Stone IPA.
Old 05-28-14, 11:14 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDmike
Greatly appreciate the info.
I know someone on here is also selling a wire harness by dr.tweek (No idea if it's worth it).
I guess i'll take it one step/part at a time.

I'll let you know when I get you your 20-pack of Stone IPA.
Click the link in my signature to the build thread about my Supra. I have a Tweak'd harness. I absolutely would not recommend it and if you read through the updates you will understand why. I am now at 36 hours of repair on the harness by the shop who is doing the tuning and setup of the ProEFI features. If I could do it over again I would have had Jeremy Hepburn build me one or I would have depinned the unused connectors out of a brand new OEM harness and wired in the ProEFI myself.

At $100/hr. shop cost, I could have bought four Tweak'd harnesses by now.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE swap smog passable? Any Shops?