CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Front window tins and the LAW

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 08:32 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front window tins and the LAW

So I decided to go ahead and get the front windows tinted today and... I think I went darker than I would've liked

I got the 3M Crystalline 40% (lets in 39% light in). I'm doubting whether I should've gotten the 'legal' 70% instead. Before I made my decision to go for 40s, I saw a Tesla outside that had the 3M 40% and seemed pretty light in color. What I forgot to notice was that it had light beige seats so that's why they looked okay.

Anybody here have their front windows tinted? If so, how dark? Any complications with law enforcement?
Old 09-03-13, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

bottom line no tint allowed in the front at all. i tint as usual, got ticket before, but i just live with it
Old 09-03-13, 09:37 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with 60% Photochromic in the front windshield and 65% on the sides. At first I had 35% on the fronts, and CHP nabbed me. I went 45%, and I got hit again. I have cops whizzing by my sides looking in, and they can see me quite clearly, and have no clue I'm tinted up front. The heat rejection is quite comparable to Huper Optik, and it definitely comes in handy around this time.

I am a fan of similar tint all around, but this is CA. Let's face it, unless you roll down your windows all the time, cops will be on the lookout. Any ticket they can write up is a bonus for the state. It might not look uniform anymore, which I really liked about my first two attempts, but at least I'm not getting bothered.

Old 09-03-13, 09:43 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten hassled a couple times for mine but that's when I was running 20% all around. I just peeled it off for the ticket then got it put back on a day or so after. Running only a slight bit lighter now.
Old 09-03-13, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am very tempted to tint the windshield on my nsx as well. it's so big and so much light comes in through that, it gets very warm. how much it cost you with the Photochromic, brian? i know huper optik runs around 280 and that's why i was hesitating
Old 09-03-13, 11:54 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I went with 60% Photochromic in the front windshield and 65% on the sides. At first I had 35% on the fronts, and CHP nabbed me. I went 45%, and I got hit again. I have cops whizzing by my sides looking in, and they can see me quite clearly, and have no clue I'm tinted up front. The heat rejection is quite comparable to Huper Optik, and it definitely comes in handy around this time.

I am a fan of similar tint all around, but this is CA. Let's face it, unless you roll down your windows all the time, cops will be on the lookout. Any ticket they can write up is a bonus for the state. It might not look uniform anymore, which I really liked about my first two attempts, but at least I'm not getting bothered.

Wow, can't believe they nabbed you with 45%.
Old 09-04-13, 02:06 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The law is written such as any type of object placed on the front windows that are not from the factory are illegal, even if it's clear see through. It is all up to the individual officer's decision of ticketing you or not.
Old 09-04-13, 03:01 AM
Hype VVTi
Driver School Candidate

Just look for a tint shop that are willing to take off your tints for free when you get a fix it ticket and put a new set at discounted price. It is California, you got to pay to play.
Old 09-04-13, 06:55 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

tinted from windows is just simply "hit or miss".
My brother has his car tinted dark limo all around (except from windshield) for over 6 years and not a single ticket
Old 09-04-13, 11:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kdm
Wow, can't believe they nabbed you with 45%.
i got a ticket for my 50%.
Old 09-04-13, 11:35 AM
Luis3rD
Rookie

my windows are tinted 20% except for the windshield. So far I haven't gotten a ticket yet. Just always get ready to roll your windows down when you see a cop.
Old 09-04-13, 03:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis3rD
my windows are tinted 20% except for the windshield. So far I haven't gotten a ticket yet. Just always get ready to roll your windows down when you see a cop.
that's a great way to get them to notice you.

I've personally never been given a tint ticket by itself, most cops won't pull you just for them if you're driving sanely and the registration is all in good order.
Old 09-04-13, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that's a great way to get them to notice you.

I've personally never been given a tint ticket by itself, most cops won't pull you just for them if you're driving sanely and the registration is all in good order.
sigh don't remind me of my story.... i swear that cop hated bmw
Old 09-04-13, 06:31 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Used to have my front windows tinted pretty dark for quite a while. Peeled it off a while back so there's no easy excuse to get pulled over.
Old 09-04-13, 06:33 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
On occasion they will. A cop busted a U on a busy street to just give me a ticket for tint. Basically, just be willing to pay the consequences.

Quick Reply: Front window tins and the LAW