CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Front window tins and the LAW

Old 09-04-13, 07:19 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the front 3 windows are not to be tinted. That being said you can just expect to be ticketed for having them. Now that's not to say you may or may not be ticketed for it. It's strictly at the discretion of the officer. Some I can say will issue the fix-it ticket as an additional fine when you do something wrong. Personally I think you have very light tint up front. And you haven't even tinted your windshield. So I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Old 09-04-13, 07:24 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I've personally never been given a tint ticket by itself, most cops won't pull you just for them if you're driving sanely and the registration is all in good order.
Yeah tell that to Alhambra PD. They have nothing better to do than just hassle you for everything you've done. Note to self: Stay away from Alhambra lol
Old 09-04-13, 09:44 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
sigh don't remind me of my story.... i swear that cop hated bmw
LOL @ the BMW one

Yeah, now when I drive around I look for cars with front windows tinted and there are tons of them. And yes, I am willing to pay for the consequences. I guess it all comes down to luck and the officer. And as for Alhambra cops, I live in Irvine and I'm sure cops here are much more strict..

If I stop next to a cop tomorrow, I can't pull off the "roll-down-front-windows" trick as they are still drying
Old 09-04-13, 10:37 PM
1SWTGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have STM PHC60 PhotoCHromatic tinted all around included the windshield.for 3.5 years no ticket yet. get dark in day and gets lighter at nite. nite shot. This is the tint I had before I got a front widow ticket but not the windshield.before I re-done it with STM PHC60 PhotoCHromatic.
Old 09-05-13, 12:25 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Per letter of the law its no tint. But if the officer can see you inside you are fine unless he wants to hassle you. Just be polite.
Old 09-05-13, 01:02 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll be fine dude, 40% is nothing. If your luck is running low you'd probably get pulled over even with 70%. In an unfortunate event you're only out ~$60, but you get the luxury of having better protection from the unforgiving California sun. Worth it!

Plus since it's done already, might as well enjoy it!
Old 09-05-13, 06:59 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out Llumar Air80 (also called Air Blue, I think). I have that on my front windshield and it is hardly noticeable. I live and drive around in Alhambra with no problems.
Old 09-13-13, 11:36 PM
jjpark712
Driver

+1 for irvine cops!!
They will try to stop you for everything.
Even if you are getting a fix up ticket, two more squad cars WILL show up. If you live or gotten pulled pulled over in irvine, you know what I mean.
One time,I got pulled over in irvine because I looked like a drug dealer according to the officer. WTF???
Asian male, shaved head driving in a nice car? Makes me a drug dealer.
At the same time, six years I've had dark front windows tinted haven't got cited for that.
Cars that I have tints on past six years whileI living in irvine.
1. 96 sc300 with full kit n wheels
2. 93 Widebody Rx7 <- cop magnet.
3. 2008 MB SLK280
4. 2009 MB E350 limo tint.
5. 2002 is300 limo also.

Hope to keep up my streak of not getting pulled over but now that I post this up today, I know I'm getting stopped tomorrow on the way to work!!
Old 09-14-13, 01:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

guys I did say "most' cops lol. It really depends. Plus how you handle the officers as well as your previous record will have a big effect as well.
Old 09-14-13, 09:26 AM
kdm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjpark712
+1 for irvine cops!!
Even if you are getting a fix up ticket, two more squad cars WILL show up. If you live or gotten pulled pulled over in irvine, you know what I mean.
One time,I got pulled over in irvine because I looked like a drug dealer according to the officer. WTF???
At the same time, six years I've had dark front windows tinted haven't got cited for that.
3. 2008 MB SLK280
5. 2002 is300 limo also.

Hope to keep up my streak of not getting pulled over but now that I post this up today, I know I'm getting stopped tomorrow on the way to work!!
I've been pretty luck in Irvine so far (knock on wood...) Man, I wouldn't have the guts to run around Irvine with limo tint. Good luck keeping up the streak!

As far as my front tinted windows go, I don't care anymore. I think it was that initial shock that I did break the law, but we all do at a certain degree with speeding and whatnot. And, I see way too many cars now with 35s or 30s so that makes me feel I'm relatively safe.
Old 09-14-13, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jjpark712
+1 for irvine cops!!
3. 2008 MB SLK280
5. 2002 is300 limo also.

isn't that profiling?
Old 09-17-13, 01:31 PM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
isn't that profiling?
Yes. That kind of profiling is perfectly fine. Criminal profiling happens all the time. If you like like a drug dealer then you will be pulled over and they will pull you over for the smallest thing. My buddy is an Asian guy with shaved head but driving a stock old Subaru outback with tinted windows. He was was on the phone in front of his house in the car and he got lit up just for sitting there on his phone. He does live in front of a high school so the Sheriffs probably thought he was selling drugs on the street. They pretty much had their hands on their guns while telling him to get out of the car. He himself is a cop but just looking like a drug dealer will get you pulled over. If you look like a drug dealer or a thug you will get hassled by the authorities. Just cause you aren't one doesn't mean they know that.
Old 09-17-13, 03:34 PM
theUPSguy
Driver School Candidate

I heard a quote a long time ago from a friend, and it still tends to apply. Do the crime, do the time. If you wanna play, be ready to pay. CA cops are not friendly!.
Old 09-17-13, 04:45 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SWTGS
I have STM PHC60 PhotoCHromatic tinted all around included the windshield.for 3.5 years no ticket yet. get dark in day and gets lighter at nite. nite shot. This is the tint I had before I got a front widow ticket but not the windshield.before I re-done it with STM PHC60 PhotoCHromatic.
is that what photochromatic does? lighter at night darker during day?