CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Where to get airbag installed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 12:12 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to get airbag installed?

Was talking to Shin over at Air Runner and he informed me that it would take a week or two to install the airbags. Seems like a long time for the install. Does it normally take that long? Maybe I can just buy the parts and get it installed elsewhere here in SoCal. I was hoping to get it done in a weekend. Can't be car-less for so long.
Old 04-08-13, 01:07 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is literally the same as installing a set of coilovers but after they are in you need to run the air lines and wires.
Any decent shop is capable of doing it but most will pass on the job because it sounds too complicated.
Old 04-08-13, 01:09 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I kinda assumed it would be fairly easy, considering it was supposed to be a direct bolt on setup. I didn't think it would take a week or two to finish running all the wires and calibrating everything. I'm not sure if they meant that it would take 1-2 weeks to get the parts in, then do the install. Or literally I would have to leave my car there for 1-2 weeks.

I'm hoping there are other places around here I can take it to.
Old 04-08-13, 01:29 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

It took me Just over 1 hour to remove my airrunner and replace with stock coils.
I'd imagine they would say 1-2 weeks so if they can work on your car 10min per day.
Old 04-08-13, 01:34 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx
I'd imagine they would say 1-2 weeks so if they can work on your car 10min per day.
Hahahaha. I'm really hoping I misunderstood them. I wanted to get the install done in my spare tire compartment. Not sure if that would extend the install more but I would assume it wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited by Grouchy; 04-08-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 02:09 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2 days. someone in here can do it in 1-2 days. PM me if u want his info. he uninstalled my air bags few weeks ago.
Old 04-08-13, 08:36 PM
EcHo714
Driver

AutoFashion USA
Old 04-08-13, 10:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

An air setup can be installed and working in 1-2 days, but it won't look the nicest.

Making the install look nice and professional will take a few days. Setting up the trunk is the hardest part. Finding a place to mount the tank, compressors, and valves safely while making an efficient use of space takes a long time to figure out.

Having everything installed in the spare tire limits the working space, so it is even more complicated. I'm sure air runner has done enough installs to know what works best for each car.

Also keep in mind that a shop like air runner will want the setup to work flawlessly for you so they'll want to keep the car for a few days to leak test it to make sure you won't have any problems once the car is returned.
Old 04-08-13, 10:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Platinum VIP if you're in the IE/OC/LA, Autofashion if you're in SD>
Old 04-11-13, 12:45 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I decided to hold off on getting the airbags until I saved up enough cash to get it done properly by Air Runner. Apparently it does take quite a bit to get them installed. Didn't know that. =/
Old 04-11-13, 05:11 PM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend in Pasadena that can do it, he installed mine and my other club members. Let me know if you want his info.
Old 04-12-13, 09:03 AM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

most shop would take 1 day or 2 days max.
Old 04-12-13, 10:10 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I was talking to some people on the LS forums. Apparently to do it right and proper, it will take a few days. Shin over at Air Runner told me to mount the height sensors for AccuAir takes some time, also to get the pancake setup for my spare tire well. I decided to just hold off on it until I can afford to get it done properly at Air Runner. At least that way if I ever run into any issues, I can take it back to the shop. I ended up just getting a set of Megan Street coil overs for cheap. Probably take it to Tommys since it seems like everyone takes their cars there. Just waiting for my wheels to come in first so I can have it mounted before I slap on the coils.
Old 04-12-13, 12:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Platinum VIP if you're in the IE/OC/LA, Autofashion if you're in SD>
x2 I'm sure both of these shops have the experience to get it done in a weekend for you.
Old 04-12-13, 01:26 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I actually talked to Platinum since I was considering going with their cup kits instead. They informed me that it would take about 3-4 days for their cup kit install as well. Shin @ Air Runner said they could do a rush job in 4 days if I pay a little extra.

Quick Reply: Where to get airbag installed?