CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone get a Modified Exhaust Ticket Recently?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 12:32 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone get a Modified Exhaust Ticket Recently?

So I got a modified exhaust ticket recently, violation code 27151AX 29.

MY questions is I have gone to 3 stations (Cal Poly Pomona Police, West Covina Sheriff, and a CHP Office) to get my ticket signed off. The Sheriff and CHP office both told me, they cannot sign off the ticket, I have to go to the ref station at Rio Hondo College.

My questions is did something change? None of the cops can sign it off now, I have to go to a ref? Also, If I choose not to get it fixed, how much is the fine?

Any insight will help, Thanks
Old 03-17-13, 02:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

For reference:

V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems
Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Found this discussion but it's back in '11.
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index....topic=108761.0

The 2011 bail states that a state referee has to sign off on any exhaust ticket. I guess it doesn't get around to all the cops, then again the CHP who signed off on my **** was a total ****. Base bail is $194 + county fees which can equal up to another $100. My bail for Mono county is $274.
Old 03-17-13, 07:24 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Why don't you go to court and plea not guilty. If the cop shows up ask him if he took a decibel reading and if it was over 95 dbA. If he says no then ask the judge to dismiss the violation due to lack of evidence on the cops behalf.
Old 03-17-13, 10:28 PM
Shadow300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chp

Yup the law changed long time ago the CHP can't sign off your ticket anymore you'll have to take it to the ref. After it's pass the noise test and all then you have to take it to court pay for it and they'll check the thing and sign it off>>>>!!!! It's a piece of ****zzz ticket only cost like no more that 40 bucks but i don't know about now>>>>
Old 03-18-13, 09:11 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting-- I've always gone to the Temple City Sheriff's Department for fix-it tickets on both my Integra and my IS and they have always signed off for me and never charged me an inspection fee either!

On my Integra, I had to go in for the modified exhaust 2 years ago, however, I had put my stock exhaust back on. They came outside, had me step on the gas and they listened to the exhaust and checked it off as OK and signed my ticket for me.

I've also had them sign off on two no front plate tickets- one for the Integra (same timing as the exhaust ticket) and one for the IS about 1 year ago. Never had any problems getting them to sign off anything at this station. Sometimes for the no plate tickets they won't even come outside to check; they just ask me if I put the plate on and I say yes.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-13, 12:31 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

if i'm not miss undarstand.
You're facing Referee ticket which is not correctible (signed of by officer). Those ticket require state referee inspection, you need to take your car to state referee and let them inspect your car.
If you passed, you need to paid less than $10 for certificate (no COPS could give you any ticket for it any more).
then go to court and pay another $25 for ticket. That's all you need!

Good luck!
Old 03-18-13, 06:57 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

This makes me want to take off my exhaust :/
Old 03-18-13, 08:23 PM
sc4jms
Driver

if you dont mind me asking what exhaust are you running that got you the tix?
Old 03-18-13, 10:10 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
if i'm not miss undarstand.
You're facing Referee ticket which is not correctible (signed of by officer). Those ticket require state referee inspection, you need to take your car to state referee and let them inspect your car.
If you passed, you need to paid less than $10 for certificate (no COPS could give you any ticket for it any more).
then go to court and pay another $25 for ticket. That's all you need!

Good luck!
It was just a regular exhaust ticket, marked correctable.

Originally Posted by vietunit
This makes me want to take off my exhaust :/
After finding out that day, it was one of those days I wanted to just put my car back to stock and call it quiets, but my scenes kicked and and said keep going

Originally Posted by sc4jms
if you dont mind me asking what exhaust are you running that got you the tix?
I was running my cutout that was placed right after my headers, pretty much open headers. The reason I got the ticket was cause I had just recently sent my cutout back to the manufacture to get fixed, so the hole was wide open.
Old 03-20-13, 12:06 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm, I haven't got one yet in the 951/909 and hope I never get one.

What area did you get your ticket in?
Old 03-29-13, 12:39 AM
Volume123
Driver

wow... I've never gotten a real ticket.... I always just say, I just bought the car or it simply "came with the car so I had no idea of the law but I'll get it fixed, I didn't even know it wasn't a stock exhaust." Lol, has always worked, they just want to pull me over to look for drugs honestly.. just like most of you guys.
Old 03-30-13, 09:44 PM
NihS07
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently got a speeding & modified emmissions ticket at GMR and the cop said I have to go to the State Ref. I opted to pay the fine since removing all my parts would have sucked and it was around $800 for both tickets. Hope that helps.
Old 03-31-13, 02:31 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
Why don't you go to court and plea not guilty. If the cop shows up ask him if he took a decibel reading and if it was over 95 dbA. If he says no then ask the judge to dismiss the violation due to lack of evidence on the cops behalf.
Can anybody confirm this statement ?
Old 03-31-13, 02:40 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to highjack the OP's thread, but i had a similar experience if anyone could chime in. OP what did you end up doing?

Yesterday some ******* cop pulled me for my exhaust, he said it was too loud. Ive had this same exhaust set up for 5 years and it has never been an issue. When i was looking at the ticket he marked it as an incorrectable infraction. I asked him as to why he marked it such way, and his response was that he knew i was gonna put my stock exhaust back and then get signed off and put my after market set up.

My question is, if i speak to a judge will he change it to a correctable infraction?

funny because my exhaust is only an axle back with a resonator delete.
Old 03-31-13, 03:56 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS25Heaven
Not to highjack the OP's thread, but i had a similar experience if anyone could chime in. OP what did you end up doing?

Yesterday some ******* cop pulled me for my exhaust, he said it was too loud. Ive had this same exhaust set up for 5 years and it has never been an issue. When i was looking at the ticket he marked it as an incorrectable infraction. I asked him as to why he marked it such way, and his response was that he knew i was gonna put my stock exhaust back and then get signed off and put my after market set up.

My question is, if i speak to a judge will he change it to a correctable infraction?

funny because my exhaust is only an axle back with a resonator delete.
Why not just pay off the ticket? Not sure if the laws have changed but I got an exhaust ticket awhile back. Cop wrote it up as uncorrectable. The ticket was only 75 bucks, paid it off and I kept the exhaust on.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a Modified Exhaust Ticket Recently?