CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Alumalite

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 06:14 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alumalite

I am planning on making my own splitters and have decided to make them out of alumalite. Does anyone have know a place to purchase alumalite from?

The only place I know of around socal is Sign Mart in orange. They are charging me $135 for a 6 mm, 8 by 4 ft sheet. If anyone knows of a cheaper place I would gladly buy from them. Color doesn't matter to me
Old 11-06-12, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If you don't need sheet sizes, call around and inquire about scraps from the local shops. The sign guy I know in Vegas had all kinds of odd cuts of materials from various projects that he gave them away. I usually asked and if they said there have pieces in the back and to help myself (read that as dumpster dive). Or for a few $ they had leftover clean cut scrap.

I use PVC for sanding blocks and this stuff is always in odd sizes and useful for my needs. Sintra, Kydex and other thermoplastics may also work for you depending on thickness needed. You'll need to fab jigs/molds for those.