CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Camping/backpacking in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 08:49 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
That in Curry Village= people renting unit to stay there=shares=diseases . Not real camping experienced .
yea i despise that style of "camping" but then again im thankful that they have it as well. Keeps the noobs quarantined elsewhere and lowers the amount of population in the nicer secluded areas
Old 09-12-12, 08:39 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vwynn
gunna backpack sierra/yosemite/cathedral lake this week. hopefully all goes well lol...
Nice!! I just completed 60 miles of the John Muir Trail that included that portion. It was a 5 day hike from Mammoth Mountain to Yosemite Valley. Next year I plan on doing the other end of the JMT (Whitney Portal to Kearsarge Pass). I love the eastern Sierras!

Here's some of my pics:

1) Thousand Island Lake / Banner Peak

2) Sunrise at Thousand Island Lake / Banner Peak

3) Sunrise at Thousand Island Lake

4) Looking up at Mount Lyell after crossing Donahue Pass

5) Heading towards Cathedral Lakes from Tuolumne Meadows

6) Cathedral Peak

7) Cathedral Peak / Upper Cathedral Lake
Old 09-12-12, 09:26 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

whoa. 60 miles! whats your gear load-out for a week long backpacking trip like that? And is this a nonstop backpacking trip without restocking supplies? or was it more of a dayhike style vs camping on the trails?
Old 09-12-12, 10:23 AM
SB350
Instructor

whoa. 60 miles! whats your gear load-out for a week long backpacking trip like that? And is this a nonstop backpacking trip without restocking supplies? or was it more of a dayhike style vs camping on the trails?
My starting pack weight was 42 lbs., which is a little on the heavy side. Basically, you bring everything you would need for one night trip, just more food and socks. My heaviest items are my bear canister, water pump/filter, my tent (Nemo Losi 3P), and my 80L backpack itself. For long trips, it is definitely worth investing in the nice, light-weight gear. Even if you're saving only ounces off one piece of gear here and there, it all adds up to a substantial weight savings.

It was a nonstop trip (5 days, 4 nights, 60 miles - including Half Dome summit), however when passing through Tuolumne Meadows, I got a bacon cheeseburger and a Dr. Pepper. We camped just off the trail, near a water source every night. Probably the most amount of days I would go before resupply would be 7 days, which is easy to achieve on the John Muir Trail.

If you are looking for one of the most rewarding 2-3 day hikes California has to offer, I recommend backpacking Mt. Whitney. I usually do it in 3 days, 2 nights (Whitney Portal to Trail Camp, Trail Camp to Whitney Summit and Back, Trail Camp back to Whitney Portal). Apply for the permit lottery early in February.
Old 09-12-12, 12:42 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow very nice pictures
Old 09-12-12, 01:07 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SB350
My starting pack weight was 42 lbs., which is a little on the heavy side. Basically, you bring everything you would need for one night trip, just more food and socks. My heaviest items are my bear canister, water pump/filter, my tent (Nemo Losi 3P), and my 80L backpack itself. For long trips, it is definitely worth investing in the nice, light-weight gear. Even if you're saving only ounces off one piece of gear here and there, it all adds up to a substantial weight savings.

It was a nonstop trip (5 days, 4 nights, 60 miles - including Half Dome summit), however when passing through Tuolumne Meadows, I got a bacon cheeseburger and a Dr. Pepper. We camped just off the trail, near a water source every night. Probably the most amount of days I would go before resupply would be 7 days, which is easy to achieve on the John Muir Trail.

If you are looking for one of the most rewarding 2-3 day hikes California has to offer, I recommend backpacking Mt. Whitney. I usually do it in 3 days, 2 nights (Whitney Portal to Trail Camp, Trail Camp to Whitney Summit and Back, Trail Camp back to Whitney Portal). Apply for the permit lottery early in February.

Thats all i read.

yee team nemo.
Old 09-12-12, 01:37 PM
SB350
Instructor

Thats all i read.

yee team nemo.
I love my Nemo tent! Light weight and very easy to set up and take down, and packs neatly in it's tent suitcase. Very spacious too. Highly recommended.

Our camp the first night of the JMT hike:

My tent at Trail Camp on the Mt. Whitney trail:
Old 09-12-12, 02:00 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Tent looks awesome!.

yea im very happy with my Nemo Obi 2p. Perfect for myself and my backpack. i like to put my pack inside cuz i hate leaving it outside.. never know when spiders or other things crawl inside n later crawl down your neck

kinda sad that weekends are way to short to do your backpacking trips
Old 09-12-12, 08:55 PM
pilotd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice pics!! going to put this one on my to hike list!!!
Old 09-13-12, 09:10 AM
SB350
Instructor

Originally Posted by pilotd
Very nice pics!! going to put this one on my to hike list!!!
It really is a great hike. Iv'e done it twice now because it's that good. Here is a good video about hiking the first half of the hike (Mammoth Mountain to Tuolumne Meadows):

http://livewellnetwork.com/Motion/ep...-Trail/7853868

Wilderness permits are pretty easy to get for this hike if you start at Mammoth. If you start at Yosemite Valley and end at Mammoth, it's a little more difficult to get a permit through Yosemite National Park.

This is how I did the hike:
Day 1: (9 miles) Agnew Meadow at Mammoth to Thousand Island Lake via River Trail .
Day 2: (10.5 miles) Thousand Island lake to Island Pass via JMT. Island Pass to Lyell Fork via JMT. Most challenging day because you go over the Donahue Pass (11,000 ft.) which is the highest point of the hike.
Day 3: (10 miles) Lyell Fork to Tuolumne Meadows. Flattest part of the hike. Hike entire length of Lyell Canyon.
Day 4: (16 miles) Tuolumne Meadows to Sunrise Creek/Clouds Rest trail head. My favorite day of the hike. Amazing scenery and trail. Descend into Yosemite Valley.
Day 5: (12.5 miles, including summiting Half Dome) Sunrise Creek/Clouds Rest trail head to Happy Isles. Entire day is downhill with the exception of summiting Half Dome.

When you hike into Yosemite Valley, you can take a YARTS shuttle back to your car at Mammoth for $13.
Old 09-13-12, 09:12 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SB350
It really is a great hike. Iv'e done it twice now because it's that good. Here is a good video about hiking the first half of the hike (Mammoth Mountain to Tuolumne Meadows):

http://livewellnetwork.com/Motion/ep...-Trail/7853868

Wilderness permits are pretty easy to get for this hike if you start at Mammoth. If you start at Yosemite Valley and end at Mammoth, it's a little more difficult to get a permit through Yosemite National Park.

This is how I did the hike:
Day 1: (9 miles) Agnew Meadow at Mammoth to Thousand Island Lake via River Trail .
Day 2: (10.5 miles) Thousand Island lake to Island Pass via JMT (2 miles). Island Pass to Lyell Fork via JMT. Most challenging day because you go over the Donahue Pass (11,000 ft.) which is the highest point of the hike.
Day 3: (10 miles) Lyell Fork to Tuolumne Meadows. Flattest part of the hike. Hike entire length of Lyell Canyon.
Day 4: (16 miles) Tuolumne Meadows to Sunrise Creek/Clouds Rest trail head. My favorite day of the hike. Amazing scenery and trail. Descend into Yosemite Valley.
Day 5: (12.5 miles, including summiting Half Dome) Sunrise Creek/Clouds Rest trail head to Happy Isles. Entire day is downhill with the exception of summiting Half Dome.

When you hike into Yosemite Valley, you can take a YARTS shuttle back to your car at Mammoth for $13.
thats cheating! you gotta spend another 5 days to hike back to make it proper LOL jk

btw has anyone ever hiked Mt Agassiz.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense.../2006/agassiz/

I was interested until i saw the pics :|... its before the sierra NF and Sequoia NP

Last edited by vwynn; 09-13-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-26-12, 09:17 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Myself and a friend will be hitting up Sequoia National Park this weekend (Friday-Sunday) in the Mineral King area. We plan on backpacking Crystal Lake or one of the lakes there and spending the night there. If anyone is interested feel free to tag. 5 miles @ ~3000 ft elevation change... somewhere in the 10k altitude range.

Will get pics
Old 09-26-12, 09:24 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Cool i'm going this thursday nite as well lolz Sequoia
Old 09-26-12, 10:14 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

which part? are you taking the lexus up there?

ill be taking mine so hopefully the altitude change doesnt mess up the computer
Old 09-26-12, 10:17 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be all over the places, but yeah crystal lake is one of them, no not the ISF lol i'm taking sienna van

Quick Reply: Camping/backpacking in Socal?