CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Camping/backpacking in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 10:56 AM
pilotd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found this website theres a bunch of different spots with pics, directions, and videos! http://octrailhikers.com/2011/08/20/...yon-waterfall/
Old 06-17-12, 11:00 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotd
found this website theres a bunch of different spots with pics, directions, and videos! http://octrailhikers.com/2011/08/20/...yon-waterfall/
now thats perfect! near our neck of the woods.

Looks like ill be paying cleveland NP a visit.. more specifically Trabuco Canyon and Holy Jim Falls. will be checking to see if i can do some UOC or if possible LOC.
Old 06-18-12, 03:39 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm jealous Zion was a blast we only had a short time to go and get back so we left on a friday night got there sat at 2am then slept till 8am hiked the subway unitl 9pm lol then drove home( only an 800 mile drive round trip in a little over 24hrs) ! Make sure you get reservations we did it with out the permit and got busted lol....DO THE SUBWAY Hike and make sure you bring atleast 80Ft of good rope!

EDIT: Do a Cruise/ Hike day!
I will definitely look into the Subway hike - did you stay overnight at one of the hotels/lodges, camp out, or just hike and leave?
Old 06-19-12, 01:28 AM
pilotd
Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I will definitely look into the Subway hike - did you stay overnight at one of the hotels/lodges, camp out, or just hike and leave?
Well we left corona around 5 or 6pm and got up there around 1 or 2am lol everything was closed so we drove through the camp grounds and saw some people sitting outside their tent and we asked if we could pitch out tent there for the night and they said sure soo most everyone up there were super cool, then come to find out later they were from Orange so small world!!! Don't forget to bring rope! 80ft Min!!!! and some good water shoes as you will do alot of hiking in the water! i'll find my pics and post some up on here stay tuned!
Old 06-19-12, 03:20 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Thats good info! I think we are going to try to leave Friday July 20th at around 5am and get up there mid afternoon, check into the hotel and do some exploring. Saturday morning is when we plan on doing the narrows hike and now we are looking into the Subway as well. I will for sure make sure that we bring the rope. Did you guys use walking sticks for the water sections??
Old 06-19-12, 10:32 AM
doom350
Driver School Candidate

Zion is great cuz if you want to car camp it you can and there's a shower nearby. Did the 22 mile narrows hike. Very nice! I have also done Havasupai and that's really nice too. pretty waterfalls. Go past Vegas, and you can hit Lake Powell. There's car camping there, you can rent a house boat, and there's some really nice hiking and scenery. Google the Antelope Canyons and The Wave Coyote Buttes. Most people don't realize that we have some of the most amazing landscapes in the world. In California, you can hike and camp out near Mt. Whitney. There's Kearsarge lake out there. You can also go on the western side of the Sierras. Yosemite, Wright Reservoir. I also second Joshua Tree. It's probably pretty hot out there now, but there's some great hiking and you might have to do some bouldering to get around out there. If you're lucky, you can even catch a glimpse of some really awesome wildlife.
Old 06-19-12, 10:33 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Im going to Zion in a few weeks to hike The Narrows, 12 miles through the water in the canyon! one of the best hikes in the U.S. - I did Machu Picchu in Peru a couple months ago - awesome experience - hiking the summit of Mount Baldy in the Snow is actually a lot of fun!! Mt Wilson bottom to top and back is about 17 miles, thats a fun day - lol i did that one with only one bottle of Gatorade, didn't bring my pack cause I didn't expect to go all the way to the observatory that day lol, oh well, i did just fine!

I am always down to hike anywhere - PM me or start a thread to get some guys to come out, should be fun
I'm jealous Zion was a blast we only had a short time to go and get back so we left on a friday night got there sat at 2am then slept till 8am hiked the subway unitl 9pm lol then drove home( only an 800 mile drive round trip in a little over 24hrs) ! Make sure you get reservations we did it with out the permit and got busted lol....DO THE SUBWAY Hike and make sure you bring atleast 80Ft of good rope!

EDIT: Do a Cruise/ Hike day!
a hike day or weekend backpacking trip would be nice witht he CL group. the only problem is iono how everyone is with gear hah. im still piecing mine together and need a pack. (prolly get a Osprey Aether 60 or something... wanted the Mystery Ranch on a NICE frame but thats $$$$$).

who has:

Pack, 1-2p tent, bag, pad, messkit, heating source, etc etc all situated?
Old 06-19-12, 11:35 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
a hike day or weekend backpacking trip would be nice witht he CL group. the only problem is iono how everyone is with gear hah. im still piecing mine together and need a pack. (prolly get a Osprey Aether 60 or something... wanted the Mystery Ranch on a NICE frame but thats $$$$$).

who has:

I would be down for sure, a CL hike would be fun. It doesn't have to be too intense the first time out. Maybe a day hike so everyone can see everyone's abilities and capabilities and maybe this would draw the attention for more people to come out with us. What do you guys think? Then later on some time we can do an overnight trip.

I have everything for any camping/backpacking - in fact I used my pad last night when I was sleeping at the top of a mountain on the side of a ridge Perks of my job i guess

here are a few pics from some recent hikes:

Mt Baldy, California - elevation 10,064ft

Machu Picchu, Peru - elevation 8,000 ft - Cuzco, Peru elevation 11,200 ft

Sun Gate at Machu Picchu (highest peak)

Sugar Loaf Mountain, Rio De Jainero Brazil elevation 1,300 ft (hot too high, but amazing view, fun hike from base - over looking Christ The Redeemer Statue)
Old 06-19-12, 11:01 PM
pilotd
Driver

^^^ Thats good info! I think we are going to try to leave Friday July 20th at around 5am and get up there mid afternoon, check into the hotel and do some exploring. Saturday morning is when we plan on doing the narrows hike and now we are looking into the Subway as well. I will for sure make sure that we bring the rope. Did you guys use walking sticks for the water sections??
DO THE SUBWAY! its a total must!!!!! No walking sticks only Early RESERVATIONS required!, i'll post up some pics all you do is follow the rocks stacked on top of eachother, also watch that video i posted on it a few times as the exit point is a little hard to find! on another note you will need to hopefully have two cars if not no prob....drop off the people you are hiking with up at the top and drive down the road,(aprrox 3 to 5 miles) leave your car at the exit point of the hike and just hitch hike back up thats what we did and it was easy to find a ride most everyone up there is super cool!!!! its just easier to leave the car at the exit so when your done with the all day hike no stress of getting back to your car up top lol.. i'll post up some pics.....
Old 06-19-12, 11:06 PM
pilotd
Driver

who has:

I used only back pack lol a little painful in the end but not too bad keep looking at REI they have HUGE sales! also Bass Pro Shop...you really don't need anything crazy to start with! But The wife and I would be SOOO DOWN for a CL group hike once she recovers from giving birth last week lol! Yosemite is another cool place to go for a quick weekend get away..you can do the 70 degree incline Half Dome hike it looks gnarly!!!
Old 06-19-12, 11:56 PM
pilotd
Driver

The Subway at Zion:

Notice the stacked rocks this will be your trail from start to finish just follow the rocks!

Old 06-19-12, 11:59 PM
pilotd
Driver

Havasupai Grand Canyon pics:

Old 06-21-12, 12:18 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

wow very nice pictures!

btw should we setup a mini hike trip?

suggestions on where?
Old 06-21-12, 10:46 PM
pilotd
Driver

wow very nice pictures!

btw should we setup a mini hike trip?

suggestions on where?
the wife and I would totaly be down but she just gave birth to our daughter last week (C section) so we are outa commission for a short while
Old 06-22-12, 12:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

might be down, there's some falls near baldy iirc.

Quick Reply: Camping/backpacking in Socal?