CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

San Gabriel River Trail-Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 12:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts
Default San Gabriel River Trail-Warning!

This was posted in the So. Cal section of the bike forum yesterday: Any of you riders starting up in this area, be alert.

Originally Posted by hecbom
need to let everyone know that a section of this Bike Trail is not safe so let me tell you all what happened yesterday Saturday 2nd. First of all, I have been riding this trail for more than two years starting at the Pico Rivera Golf Course to Azusa so I can go up hwy39. I usually do Christal Lake or the GMR loop back down to the Golf Course parking lot. Yesterday om my way back from Christal Lake I met up with a rider past Valley Blvd heading south so we started to chat about some knuckle head who was not keeping a straight line but instead was swinging right to left. No sooner I said that we looked in front of us and two Neanderthals wearing hoodies and bandannas covering there face were blocking our path. Upon seeing this and quickly preparing for the worst, I drew a line for this guy saying to myself if I hit this punk hard enough he might fall and I can recover and hit the pedals but instead I turned towards his left faking him to think that I was trying to go between him and his buddy but at the last minute I darted to his right. I barely escaped but as I looked to my right to see what was going on with the other rider, the two punks tried to block him and knock him off his bike. One of the punks kicked the rider in the knee, knocking his water bottle of the bike as well as his bike pump. What freaked me out was as soon as he was kicked the guy pulled a pump shotgun at the other rider and that is when I freaked out! For a minute I though we were both dead but fortunately the rider hit the pedals in pain and we both got away from these two. I pulled my cell phone out and I dialed 911. To make a long story short, 5 police cruisers showed up as well as a helicopter looking for these two criminals. No luck they ditched the cops and I am sure they will be around for another day to harass another cyclist. So be warned! I am going to look for a way around this neighborhood on my way up as usual.:thumbsup:
Old 06-04-12, 12:35 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is not good, and I thought these Neanderthals has extinct through the course of evolution

TL;DR: Cyclists almost got pwned while biking on the SG River Trail.
Old 06-04-12, 12:49 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, its such bs when people cannot go on a bike ride anymore w/o worrying.
Old 06-05-12, 02:20 AM
altezzaguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that ***** is crazy!!! And I was just making plans with to ride next Sunday, we were gonna ride from the riverbed starting on Beverly in montebello to Santa Fe Dam. Now I'm debating if we should change our route or just go prepared if you know what I mean... Anyway, it's gonna be 4+ of us riding together so I doubt they'll mess with us, they're a bunch of cowards that just try to beat up who the think to be defenseless...
Old 06-05-12, 02:30 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Just enjoying a bike ride and you encounter this... that's pretty scary.
Old 06-05-12, 05:28 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately what happened to you on the SGRT has been happening a lot now over there over the past 6 months or so. Im an avid cyclist (MTB/DH/ROAD) and big in the industry and there have been a lot of encounters over the past few months with the same exact scenario. Ive been riding everywhere in southern CA for the past 17 years and this is now the first trail where I feel uncomfortable riding. They are targeting the expensive road bikes. It isnt a "wallet" they are after. Personally I will not be riding the river trail any time this year because getting my road bike jacked is not something I want to deal with. Whether or not the police are doing any sort of operation to find these guys is unknown.
Old 06-06-12, 04:06 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I will take my chances with wild life on my MTB!
Old 06-06-12, 05:20 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Had similar experience few weeks ago at Upper Santa Ana River Trail. The guy did it to me and few miles later my wife too. Little punk......
Old 06-06-12, 07:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's really scary. Did you report it?
Old 06-06-12, 08:51 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxenon
This is not good, and I thought these Neanderthals has extinct through the course of evolution
LOL.....seriously though...this kind of thing is going to happen more and more considering that some people who ride these bikes own 2000+ dollar bikes...and that's a "cheaper" bike. Ride armed?
Old 06-06-12, 09:18 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dunno about the OP, but for me a bike trail through a bad area still = a bad area. Especially if you're rocking a $5,000+ bike, it's almost mandatory that you be more selective about where you ride - I sure as hell am.
Old 06-07-12, 11:26 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Old 06-08-12, 09:31 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
That's really scary. Did you report it?
No I didnt report the incident but I wanted to smack that little punk's head with my pump.
Old 06-10-12, 03:51 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
I dunno about the OP, but for me a bike trail through a bad area still = a bad area. Especially if you're rocking a $5,000+ bike, it's almost mandatory that you be more selective about where you ride - I sure as hell am.
Hundreds of people ride this route a week. There aren't enough specific road bike trails in Southern Cali as it is. We have to protect what we do have and stop these bandits on the trail.
Old 06-10-12, 11:49 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

so the specific reason these kids are doing this is to steal bikes?

to steal bikes is one thing but to pull out a shotgun and aim it at someone? thats major jail time.

Quick Reply: San Gabriel River Trail-Warning!