CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Shipping a car cross country

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 06:30 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a car cross country

Any referrals/tips for how to go about shipping a car from Cleveland to LA? What is the general cost to expect?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-12, 10:34 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Price will vary depending on a variety of factors: Distance, time frame of shipping, how you want it shipped (open air, closed truck, etc) additional insurance...list goes on. You'll have to get quotes from a few shipping companies to get an understanding of the price.

But take my advice if your shipping a car: buy additional insurance. I've seen/heard of too many cars being banged up during shipping, and the shipper will assume no liability for such damages in most cases if you didn't get insurance. Also (especially if you don't buy the insurance), check with your own insurance company too.....some insurance companies will not cover you for accidents/damage that happens if your car is being commercially transported.
Old 03-17-12, 10:45 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i almost ship a car cross country too. then i remember this show

http://www.aetv.com/shipping-wars/

then i thought, heck why not sign up and check out rates.

http://www.uship.com/shippers.aspx

got like around 10+ shipping bids from shippers under 24 hour. imo, choose the reasonable price, they have enclosed trailer, bond and insured. run vin via carfax/autocheck, as many pictures, videos. i still cant think of a safe way for paying the car and getting the title and of course the vehicle.
Old 03-18-12, 06:20 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Price isn't the only factor. I suggest you research the shipper and get customer feedback if at all possible before you make your selection, and as has been recommended, ensure you have complete shippers insurance. Also be sure when you take delivery to be VERY THOROUGH on your inspection of the vehicle before signing anything. Check inside, outside, under the hood and be sure to write down any problems before accepting your car.

I say that from practical experience having shipped my vehicles 4 times between US Mainland and Hawaii, once Phoenix to Atlanta. Also, when I lived in Atlanta, I ended up flying to SoCal (long story), bought a new 2002 SC430, and the dealer shipped it to my home back east. I thought that would be fine using a company they had experience with, but when my new beauty arrived, the trucker had not considered car movement well enough and the tie-down chains totally ruined the underside of the front bumper that was visible only at a distance or when you were down on your hands and knees... One of the windows was also left ajar and the inside was dusty unlike how I'd left the vehicle when I purchased it. I could easily do a little detail job to the inside, but in my excitement, I didn't see the bumper damage before I signed, and it took many weeks and escalations for me to finally get the shipper's insurance to repair it after the fact... They would only end up paying the "cheapest" repair quote which I didn't prefer to use, so I paid cash for the delta out of my pocket. A sad situation, but one that made me very wary -- to the degree when I moved from Atlanta back to So Cal, I drove both of my cars myself across country. If I had no choice but to ship my vehicle again, I'd do a lot of research, only go with shippers with recent positive client recommendations, have loads of insurance coverage, and it would have to be an enclosed carrier -- even if it cost more.
Old 03-18-12, 03:49 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Select 1 Transport

this is where your car will be in
Old 03-21-12, 03:21 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ looks way better than shipping it, just hope someone from fast n the furious doesnt jack u
Old 03-21-12, 07:29 PM
SimplySTIG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the hookup with JP Logistics.

Some of their clients:
Bugatti North America
BMW North America
Mercedes North America
O'Gara Coach Company
Symbolic Motors of San Diego

And the best part, the prices are totally affordable. PM me for more details.