CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

60 FWY Closed from 605 to 710

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 12:58 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 60 FWY Closed from 605 to 710

Yikes! Good thing no one was seriously injured but this is going to spell nightmares for many commuters.... including myself if the bridge needs to get repaired but I'm checking sigalert and it says green!?

Source

By Angel Jennings, Ari Bloomekatz and Robert J. Lopez, Los Angeles Times

December 15, 2011
A tanker truck filled with thousands of gallons of gasoline exploded on the 60 Freeway in Montebello early Wednesday afternoon, damaging the roadway and overpass and shutting down a major transportation artery in one of the busiest vehicle corridors in the nation.

The 60 was closed in both directions between the 710 and 605 freeways. Late Wednesday, the California Highway Patrol said the freeway would remain closed at least through the Thursday morning commute.

State transportation officials said Wednesday night that it was unclear when the stretch would be reopened. The extended closure will create the possibility of an exasperating morning commute for motorists traveling east and west between Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley and Inland Empire. About 220,000 vehicles traverse that part of the freeway daily, according to the California Department of Transportation.

Photos: Tanker blaze closes the 60

The accident already created a traffic nightmare for tens of thousands of motorists who were either stranded on the freeway as firefighters battled the blaze or scrambled to find alternate routes on traffic-clogged surface streets and freeways.

The driver and a passenger in the truck escaped uninjured as flames began to consume the tanker's rear trailer, officials said. The driver had been unable to move the vehicle off the freeway and abandoned it under the Paramount Boulevard overpass, which sustained significant structural damage.

The cause of the fire had not been determined and was under investigation by the CHP.

Witnesses described hearing two explosions shortly after noon, the second of which caused floors to vibrate in nearby buildings.

"It gave me a good scare," said Miguel Osorio, 25, who was helping customers inside a Chevron gas station when he heard the blasts.

He called a gas station closer to the freeway, fearing that it had exploded into flames. "The fire looked like it was coming from that general area," Osorio said.

The intense flames, stoked by about 8,800 gallons of fuel on the truck, caused moisture inside the concrete overpass to boil over and blow out chunks of rubble, fire officials said.

"The explosion most witnesses heard was the concrete exploding from the extreme heat," said Montebello Fire Chief Tim Wessel.

Firefighters reported seeing pieces of metal and concrete dropping from the overpass as they arrived on the scene, officials said. Massive billows of black smoke rose from underneath the bridge as fire crews tried to beat back flames. They battled the blaze for about two hours before it was extinguished. Late Wednesday, crews were offloading the remaining fuel on the truck.

One firefighter sustained a fractured leg and was taken to a hospital but was expected to be released Wednesday night, Wessel said.

The CHP said it had interviewed the truck driver and passenger. Both gave statements and were released.

The agency said it was unclear whether the truck had hit another vehicle, run over debris or had a mechanical problem. CHP investigators were planning to inspect the tanker to determine if brake or other mechanical failure was involved.

An emergency contract was awarded Wednesday evening to Flatiron Construction to repair the overpass, the California Department of Transportation said. Engineers from the agency were inspecting the structure Wednesday night to determine when it could be reopened.

"Traffic isn't going to flow through here any time soon," CHP Officer Sal Gomez said.

Motorists were urged to use other east-west routes, such as the 10 and 210 freeways to the north. Another possibility, officials said, is to use the 605, 105 and 5 freeways to travel to and from Los Angeles.

As drivers tried to get where they wanted to go, relatively quiet surface streets in Montebello and neighboring cities were flooded with a stream of vehicles that lasted into the night. The closure also resulted in traffic tie-ups on freeways across the region as drivers sought to avoid the endless backups.

Michael Campillo was using side streets to travel from Santa Monica to the Whittier area.

"It's been very frustrating," he told KTLA-TV Channel 5. "Every way you go, it's tough."
Old 12-15-11, 03:28 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was so much traffic everywhere. The 10 freeway was even busy around 10pm that day!

The closing of the 60 is hurting some businesses around there too. Hopefully everything will get cleared up and will be open soon.
Old 12-15-11, 04:20 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

we pay for other peoples accidents...
Old 12-16-11, 12:17 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the real Carmaggedeon.
Old 12-16-11, 12:23 PM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No wonder I was stuck at the traffic on Garvey and 710 freeway coming back from Long Beach
Old 12-16-11, 12:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I did a Torrance run late afternoon. On the way back E-91, traffic was super crazy. It was backed up onto 91 entrance at Artesia Blvd. That 12 mile drive took 1 hour of side street and freeway to get home. The 110S was equally like a parking lot as commuters came down to cut across. 710N and S joining the 91 was another After that the traffic moved along better but overall
Old 12-16-11, 02:29 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad i didn't/don't have to be around that area this week or next
Old 12-16-11, 02:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah the heavy traffic has filtered back towards Riverside...normally the interchange moves at a fair pace around noon on the 91 West connector from 60 West. Today it was actually backed up on the whole bridge, and it spans just over 1 mile long. Amazing.
Old 12-16-11, 07:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

One of our friends called about 10 mins ago to tell us about the parking lot on the E 91. Stay away!
Old 12-16-11, 07:54 PM
lilsharky
Pole Position

It was a stop and go traffic going 10W 5:30 in the morning yesterday!!! Man that is crazy
Old 12-16-11, 09:12 PM
Bender25
Pole Position

the day this happened i was at sears for some tools and saw all the aftermath, and I also happened to have my camera and 300mm zoom lens-

Old 12-16-11, 10:09 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Oh danggggg!!!
Old 12-16-11, 11:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bender25
the day this happened i was at sears for some tools and saw all the aftermath, and I also happened to have my camera and 300mm zoom lens-

Which Sears was this?
Old 12-17-11, 02:06 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

^^^Montebello by the Montebello Mall and Costco I believe.

Even though the freeway was closed, I'm surprised that the Montebello Mall was still busy.
Old 12-17-11, 05:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bender25

why do you walk around with a camera and 300mm zoom lens?

Last edited by PureDrifter; 12-17-11 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 60 FWY Closed from 605 to 710