CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

$200 Ticket?!?! WTF?

Old 01-16-12, 04:48 AM
wsMB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
for those of you that have tint, i know it may not help a lot, but cracking open your sunroof lets a little more light through to let your tints look lighter
i do this all the time. i got 18 percent all the way around and 35 percent on the windshield. opening the sunroof lets ALOT more sunlight in. just open it real quick when you see em. luckily everything is auto in my car. 3 buttons to touch when i see a cop.
Old 01-16-12, 06:33 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Just remove the tint, get it signed off, 2 choices
1. if it's correctable, go to traffic window and paid it off for $25
2. If it's not correctable ticket, then go to see the judge and show him/her that you did correct it. Fine will be only $25 and no need to come back again.
Old 01-16-12, 06:58 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this only happens in miami but many tint shops around here will give you a "tint removal" receipt for $10, you go and show it to the court and pay the $25 and your good to go, still have tints
Old 01-16-12, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

officer made a mistake? no he didn't. he had right to make it not correctable
Old 01-16-12, 09:10 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

So what do I do then?

Btw, what will happen if I can't pay the fine? Tell them that I'm not gonna pay, cause I don't have $200.

Also, my dads telling me tell them that I want to trial by declaration. What is that?
Old 01-16-12, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i would just tell the judge sorry you were wrong, but you did remove the tints, the car is right outside, and ask for a reduced fine. i don't know what if you can't pay
Old 01-16-12, 10:59 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The full fine is $194. That's if you dont remove the tint and just pay the fine. If you remove the tint, you can get it signed off and only pay the $25 "fix it ticket fee" since its a correctable violation.
That's right. Make sure your ticket says correctable because if its not, you're paying that full price.
Old 01-16-12, 11:11 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
"Your honor, I believe the officer made a mistake by marking it as a non-correctable violation. I removed my tinted windows, went to my local CHP office, and had my ticket written off. Can you please give me a correctable fix-it-ticket?"

^Will something like this work?
Don't use wording like, "mistake", "give me", those are pretty assertive and comes off as a challenge which you will lose.

Easier to say, "I removed my tinted windows, went to the local CHP office and had the ticket signed off. Is this sufficient for a correctable violation? Then he doesn't have to lecture you and can reply as yes or no. Then he moves onto the next case.
Old 01-16-12, 01:08 PM
wsMB
Driver

So what do I do then?

Btw, what will happen if I can't pay the fine? Tell them that I'm not gonna pay, cause I don't have $200.
cal trans my friend
Old 01-16-12, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol if you can't pay or refuse to pay long enough it will lock down your vehicle registration from being renewed and fees will begin to mount. Also telling any judge you "WON'T" pay will definitely not help your cause (but may amuse the officer giving you the ticket).

getting pulled over for expired reg will cost you a hell of a lot more than $200 for a tint ticket.

also, traffic school doesn't apply here as this wasn't a moving violation, it was a VC violation. On the plus side that also means no points on your license.

go to court, request that the judge let you make it correctable, correct it, get it signed off, pass go and pay ~$50-75 with court fees.
or eat the $200 and not have to drive around with untinted front windows.
Old 01-16-12, 04:02 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

The non-correctable violation is already signed off by my local CHP.

You're saying that I should ask the judge for a correctable violation, and get that signed off too?
Old 01-16-12, 05:57 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The non-correctable violation is already signed off by my local CHP.

You're saying that I should ask the judge for a correctable violation, and get that signed off too?
No not really, seems you already removed the tint and got it signed off, even thought the ticket was marked as non-correctable. Anyways, now just go to court and show the judge that you did remove the tint, and show the signed ticket saying you did. Then ask kindly to have it changed to a correctable violation so you can pay the fix it fee and be on your way since the tint has been removed. Most judges shouldn't give you any trouble and will just make it a correctable violation, you pay the $25, and be on your way.
Old 01-16-12, 09:53 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
No not really, seems you already removed the tint and got it signed off, even thought the ticket was marked as non-correctable. Anyways, now just go to court and show the judge that you did remove the tint, and show the signed ticket saying you did. Then ask kindly to have it changed to a correctable violation so you can pay the fix it fee and be on your way since the tint has been removed. Most judges shouldn't give you any trouble and will just make it a correctable violation, you pay the $25, and be on your way.
The only thing I'm worried about, is pleading to the judge, saying that I'm at your mercy and all that. And he goes, "Nope. Pay the $194 fee."

Just worried that he ends up being a **** and makes my life harder.

I'm gonna wear a button down with jeans (too hot to wear a suit), shave also. Hopefully everything goes well.
Old 01-16-12, 10:01 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
Don't use wording like, "mistake", "give me", those are pretty assertive and comes off as a challenge which you will lose.

Easier to say, "I removed my tinted windows, went to the local CHP office and had the ticket signed off. Is this sufficient for a correctable violation? Then he doesn't have to lecture you and can reply as yes or no. Then he moves onto the next case.
^ this.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-12, 10:29 PM
ISPanda
Rookie

The only thing I'm worried about, is pleading to the judge, saying that I'm at your mercy and all that. And he goes, "Nope. Pay the $194 fee."

Just worried that he ends up being a **** and makes my life harder.

I'm gonna wear a button down with jeans (too hot to wear a suit), shave also. Hopefully everything goes well.
There's a chance of that happening, but it won't hurt to try. Regardless of what most people think... Judges are honorable people so if you show that you already corrected the violation, most of the time they'll turn that ticket into a fix-it ticket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $200 Ticket?!?! WTF?