CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

No more plastic bags in Long Beach...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 10:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No more plastic bags in Long Beach...

Long Beach Council OKs plastic bag ban
Large stores must comply by August 1.
By Paul Eakins, Staff Writer
Posted: 05/17/2011 08:13:53 PM PDT
Updated: 05/19/2011 12:39:21 PM PDT

LONG BEACH — Supermarkets, pharmacies and similar retail stores will no longer be allowed to distribute certain types of plastic bags under an ordinance approved Tuesday by the City Council.

To the sound of applause from a crowd of residents and environmentalists, the council voted 5-0 to approve the bag ban. Three council members were absent from the meeting -- Gary DeLong, Patrick O'Donnell and Rae Gabelich -- and a fourth member who was the only to voice concerns about the ban Tuesday, Gerrie Schipske, left early because of an illness.

While council members and members of the environmental community said the ban will prevent bags from contaminating waterways, where they harm or are ingested by marine animals, about as many people spoke against the ordinance.

Kirsten James, water quality director for Heal the Bay, told the council that she sees the impact of plastic bags during her organization's 400 annual creek and beach cleanups.

"Plastic bags are continually one of the top items we find time and time again," James said. "Recycling and voluntary programs simply do not work."

Opponents, including Long Beach residents and representatives of industries that would be affected by the ordinance, called the bag ban a product of the "nanny state" or a "de facto regressive tax" because of the 10-cent fee that will be charged for paper bags. They also argued that the ban would hurt jobs, particularly minority jobs, and small businesses, as well as limit consumer choice.

Under the ban, which is based on one that is going into effect this summer in unincorporated parts of Los Angeles County, the distribution of plastic bags would be prohibited at most grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores, supermarkets, farmers markets and other retail stores that sell food and similar items. Heavier bags, such as those used by Target, wouldn't be prohibited under the law.

Stores that want to offer recyclable paper bags would be required to charge 10 cents per bag to cover their costs and to discourage shoppers from using the paper bags.

The ordinance would go into effect Aug. 1 for large stores, which is one month after the county's law goes into effect. Smaller stores and farmers markets will have until Jan. 1 to do away with plastic bags.

Cathy Browne of Crown Poly, a Los Angeles plastic bag manufacturer, said that her 300 employees could be put at risk by the growing trend of plastic bag bans, noting that many of the reusable bags that shoppers instead would use are produced overseas.

"You are exporting jobs from L.A. County to China," Browne said. "I don't think that's your intention, but it is what will happen."

Sherri McCarthy of the American Chemistry Council, a trade association representing chemical and plastics manufacturers, said shoppers already pay for the cost of bags in the price of groceries, so charging 10 cents for paper bags would add to this.

"In essence, this ordinance is going to force those consumers to pay twice," McCarthy said.

Vice Mayor Suja Lowenthal, who had proposed the measure last year, responded that the 10-cent fee is based on the county's ordinance and will discourage people from buying paper bags.

To speakers who said that the community had switched years ago from paper to plastic bags in order to save trees, Lowenthal said that society has since discovered the devastating impact of plastic.

"Over the decades, we have learned that plastic and the cost of plastic is much greater than what the benefits are," Lowenthal said.
Old 05-20-11, 12:31 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I thought the concept was to save "trees" back in the days??? LOL
Old 05-20-11, 11:24 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good no more bags stuck to my exhuast.
Old 05-20-11, 12:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Kinda like this and don't. Some markets we visit have already begun this to some extent like Sprouts and Whole Foods. We'll see if this really has the impact they think it does.
Old 05-20-11, 12:29 PM
SoCal35
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how well this will do. I like the idea of helping the environment, but if this begins in more cities, what am I going to use in my room's trash can? What will I use if my dog has diarrhea? I guess I'd just have to let is soak through paper bags...
Old 05-20-11, 12:37 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

^^^ hahaha
Old 05-20-11, 01:09 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, this needs to happen in more cities.
Old 05-20-11, 02:02 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I thought the concept was to save "trees" back in the days??? LOL
YUP...now I'm confused !! hahahahha...

Let's see how this will effect......
Old 05-20-11, 02:57 PM
davidwhang
Driver

They should just charge 5cents for a plastic bag.
Old 05-20-11, 03:46 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

lame no more convenience for easily getting the bags to protect the carpeting from greasy/ oily clothes or rags? next up we all have to drive econo-box cars that get better than 17 mpg... lol too bad we can't just deter the stupid people to stop littering... and clean up after themselves