CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Any Places to Paint Misc Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 05:14 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in the ie? I work at a body shop I'm the mountains we do great work! Ppg paints
Old 05-20-11, 05:26 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

downtown riverside
Old 05-23-11, 08:08 AM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

If you decide too come pm me
Old 05-23-11, 08:38 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

^ to which place?
Old 05-23-11, 10:13 AM
ItsRichie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by K3RRY
For paint: cheap rates and quality shouldn't be in the same sentence.
You get what you pay for when it comes to quality, especially paint.
Check out Platinum VIP in Irwindale.
Very true "it cost to floss"

Originally Posted by sgvdd525
from my personal experience. Platinum VIP didnt charge me a dime for color matching. dont be confused by color matching and blending, two different things.

$350 to paint a tte lip and a roof spoiler, im guessing $175 each. thats not bad at all.

that said, my recommendation is for Platinum VIP Irwindale
What is the difference? Matching is matching the painted items matched to the car color? And blending is somewhat close to the car's color?

Planning to take my LS their to get my wald trunk spoiler painted and matched.
Old 05-23-11, 11:51 AM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HellaG35
^ to which place?
To my work place if you want you can pm me your number so you could send pics to my iPhone so I can see if i can get you an estimate
Old 05-23-11, 12:10 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by N00bie909
To my work place if you want you can pm me your number so you could send pics to my iPhone so I can see if i can get you an estimate
pm me plz.
Old 05-27-11, 10:44 AM
mycko
Driver School Candidate

I took my car to pac auto body in torrance. Didn't go cheap and paid extra for good material such as lexus oem paint instead of the cheap replica paint. Pac auto has good reputation and does quality work on show cars. They have competitive pricing cause they have lower overhead so give them a call. Here's there 411. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pac-auto-bod...inc-wilmington

Keep in mind this is my first lexus I'm working on as a daily driver, but I've meticulously resprayed all my other cars front bumper with kits and wrapped all of them with venture shield. Did this on my 996 Porsche turbo x50 with aero kit, BMW e46 m3 with vorsteiner body kit, Honda s2000 with front j's racing bumper, Honda Eg6 with spoon front lip, and Mercedes e55. I resprayed all my cars because I bought them used and they had bad rock chips since they are all black.

I think its ridiculous that a lot of new shops are charging $1500 for some lips , spoilers, and front bumper with an excuse of color matching when I paid less to respray the front half of my Porsche turbo ( Porsche tax) .

Anyhow, I would look up pac auto in the wilmington/torrance area cause they have quality work and good business ethics. The owner, Ozzie is a great person to work with, highly recommended.

Last edited by mycko; 05-27-11 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 11:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mycko
I took my car to pac auto body in torrance. Didn't go cheap and paid extra for good material such as lexus oem paint instead of the cheap replica paint. Pac auto has good reputation and does quality work on show cars. They have competitive pricing cause they have lower overhead so give them a call. Here's there 411. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pac-auto-bod...inc-wilmington

Keep in mind this is my first lexus I'm working on as a daily driver, but I've meticulously resprayed all my other cars front bumper with kits and wrapped all of them with venture shield. Did this on my 996 Porsche turbo x50 with aero kit, BMW e46 m3 with vorsteiner body kit, Honda s2000 with front j's racing bumper, Honda Eg6 with spoon front lip, and Mercedes e55. I resprayed all my cars because I bought them used and they had bad rock chips since they are all black.

I think its ridiculous that a lot of new shops are charging $1500 for some lips , spoilers, and front bumper with an excuse of color matching when I paid less to respray the front half of my Porsche turbo ( Porsche tax) .

Anyhow, I would look up pac auto in the wilmington/torrance area cause they have quality work and good business ethics. The owner, Ozzie is a great person to work with, highly recommended.
you seem to have a good experience with that place but do you know anything about paint?

LOL "OEM" paint and "replica" paint.

blending=partially painting adjacent panels to insure a smooth transition (iirc usually needed most on pearls/heavy flake metallics). usually costs a fair bit more as adjacent panel has to be prepped/painted depending on the amount of blending needed.

color matching=using a machine+experience to match the color of the paint on the car to compensate for age/wear. most good shops don't charge extra for this as they do it on most every car they get.
Old 05-29-11, 11:41 AM
mycko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you seem to have a good experience with that place but do you know anything about paint?

blending=partially painting adjacent panels to insure a smooth transition (iirc usually needed most on pearls/heavy flake metallics). usually costs a fair bit more as adjacent panel has to be prepped/painted depending on the amount of blending needed.

color matching=using a machine+experience to match the color of the paint on the car to compensate for age/wear. most good shops don't charge extra for this as they do it on most every car they get.
Thanks for the clarification between blending and color matching. You are right about paint, all I know is ill pay more for better quality paint and prep work. I was given the option of Cheap $20/pint of paint or $90/pint paint. My analogy of replica and oem. Haha

My lexus gs is diamond pearl white and required three stages so I opted to have all the work blended. All my other cars where two stage paint so color match was done.
Old 05-29-11, 02:57 PM
sgvdd525
Driver

Thanks for the clarification between blending and color matching. You are right about paint, all I know is ill pay more for better quality paint and prep work. I was given the option of Cheap $20/pint of paint or $90/pint paint. My analogy of replica and oem. Haha

My lexus gs is diamond pearl white and required three stages so I opted to have all the work blended. All my other cars where two stage paint so color match was done.
yes there is cheap paint versus $$$ paint.

some shops uses OMNI paint. it's not a good choice, for example black OMNI paint will shrink.

$$$ paint would be dupont, PPG, R/M, HOK, etc.

Platinum VIP is authorized and trained to use DuPont and PPG.

There is no OEM paint! Most shops have to mix their own paint.
Old 05-29-11, 03:00 PM
sgvdd525
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

good clarification!
Old 05-29-11, 03:05 PM
sgvdd525
Driver

oh if u get "OEM" toyota paint, shoot me a pic of the label... =)
Old 05-31-11, 09:22 AM
mycko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sgvdd525
oh if u get "OEM" toyota paint, shoot me a pic of the label... =)
Hey, is lexus dealers touch up paint oem enough for you Mr pic/paint police?
Old 05-31-11, 04:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't go cheap and paid extra for good material such as lexus oem paint instead of the cheap replica paint. .
There is no such thing as OEM Paint or Replica Paint. You have your major reputable brands like BASF, PPG, Dupont, and other niche brand like House of Kolor for hotrods and lowriders and such. Each brand has many different class of paints.

For example, BASF's premiere lines are Glasurit and RM and their cheap crap is Limco. They are still all technically BASF. The same goes when people say, "I shoot PPG". PPG has many brands and their cheap Omni brand isn't something to boast about.

But back on topic, I guess you can say that there is an OEM paint because some high-end manufacturers like Mercedes do have a list of approved materials like BASF Glasurit / RM etc. But OEM paints are applied differently than refinishing paints

Quick Reply: Any Places to Paint Misc Parts