CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Karma to the max

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 01:28 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Karma to the max

This happened around where I work/live.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/may/...leeing-police/A suspected vehicle thief was struck and killed today on Highway 101 in Ventura as he was running away from police, authorities said.

The man was struck by a motor home about 11:30 a.m. on a southbound lane of the freeway on the Lemon Curve, near Arundell and Lemon Grove avenues, causing police to close portions of the freeway.

No other person was involved in the suspected vehicle theft, Venture police Cmdr. Brock Avery said.

Two of three southbound lanes were expected to be closed for a while, and motorists should expect delays, Avery said. "It's going be quite a delay," he said.

A major accident investigation team from the California Highway Patrol was on scene, Avery said.

The vehicle was reported stolen about 11:24 a.m. from a business along Arundell, said Ventura Police Spokesman Sgt. Jack Richards.

An officer who went the back way to the location spotted the suspect nearby, heading the opposite direction of the officer toward a freeway underpass where Arundell curves sharply, Richards said.

"He (the suspect) sees the marked black and white unit and just takes off," Richards said, adding that she suspect drove past the police vehicle.

The officer made a U-turn and saw that the SUV the suspect was driving had been disabled by a crash with another vehicle, Richards said. The stolen GMC Youkon came to rest on the side of Arundell along a curve in the roadway under Highway 101.

The suspect then got out of the SUV, ran across the railroad tracks onto a dirt road that parallels the freeway, then jumped a fence and ran up the dirt and ice plants on the west embankment up to the freeway, said the sergeant.

Authorities said the man was struck and killed by a motor home after he ran into traffic.

The driver of the camper, Peter Swords, a Nevada resident, was on his way to Las Vegas after a vacation, when he saw the man stop on the shoulder of the roadway, look back, then run into traffic, said Officer Steve Reid, a spokesman for the California Highway Patrol's Ventura office.

Swords braked, but he was unable to avoid hitting the suspect, Reid said. The Nevada resident was driving his 1999 Bounder camper between 60 and 65 miles per hour in the slow lane at the time of the crash, Reid said.

The man was dragged about 150 feet along the freeway by the roughly 30-foot camper, Richards said.

Officers immediately began CPR, and paramedics continued trying to resuscitate the man, but the he was pronounced dead at the scene, said the sergeant.

The suspected auto thief was identified as Derek Harrison, 29, of Ventura, Richards said.

"This is a sad and tragic event for everyone involved," Richards said.

Two southbound lanes of the freeway remained closed hours after the crash.

Carly Ford said the stolen Yukon was the company vehicle she used to drive to and from Union Engineering Co., 1399 Arundell Ave., where she is secretary-treasurer. She said the vehicle was parked near her office when it was stolen.

Natalia Brown, a secretary at Union Engineering, said she was pulling into the parking lot after picking up mail at the post office when she saw the Yukon being pulling out.

She thought it was odd that Ford would be leaving at that time, and then she saw a man in the vehicle, she said. She said the man looked at her like she wasn't even there, then continued pulling out of the parking lot.

"He looked pretty out of it," Brown said. "He looked like he did not even care."

Feeling that something was off, Brown, 22, headed quickly into the office to tell Ford."I said where's your car going?' She said what are you talking about? ... I said someone is driving away in your car. She just looked at me like 'what?'Ford called 911 to report that the car was stolen, and police called back just a minute or two later to tell her it had been crashed on Arundell, she said.

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/may/...#ixzz1LtliYnsW
- vcstar.com

Last edited by TLDriver; 05-09-11 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Updated and more info.
Old 05-09-11, 03:29 PM
kped Gs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm I don't know if i should laugh because he died......... but i chuckled...... I'm going to hell -___-
Old 05-09-11, 03:51 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kped Gs430
Hmmmmmmmmm I don't know if i should laugh because he died......... but i chuckled...... I'm going to hell -___-
if you are going to hell for the chuckle, I am deff going there too for calling it human frogger.
Old 05-09-11, 04:05 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww guess I'll be joining u guys in hell lol
Old 05-09-11, 04:34 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

i heard there were hookers in hell, im in!
Old 05-09-11, 08:42 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

the gas is also free there...but the AC is allways busted. Bummer
Old 05-09-11, 10:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think Death is proper justice for car theft.
Old 05-09-11, 10:28 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i see the karma, but i dont see the punchline? maybe its not really funny?
Old 05-09-11, 10:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sad...
I couldn't imagine how the driver of the motor home feels to be part of such a scenario.
Old 05-10-11, 01:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ X2 that would suck, but it sounds like the guy knowingly jumped out there onto the freeway?
Old 05-10-11, 03:11 AM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. Interesting. Feels good inside knowing there's some kind of justice somewhere...even though it is pretty extreme. Sucks to be involved in that kind of accident.
Old 05-10-11, 07:43 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

They updated the story again, it claims he ran over a few obstacles to get to the freeway and when on the freeway he looked both ways and made a run for it. The 30' motor home wasn't able to stop and dragged the guy 150 ft.
Old 05-10-11, 09:30 AM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

death for murder but not car theft lol. Maybe just disable him is gud enough
Old 05-10-11, 01:29 PM
ekc
Pole Position

Yeah but that means public welfare for the rest of his life. I ain't paying for that ish.
Old 05-11-11, 11:45 AM
pikachukia
Driver School Candidate

Well, it could have been worse for him. He could have lived, and been a paraplegic in prison the rest of his life.

Quick Reply: Karma to the max