CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

I got a 4 violation ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 10:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
6000K color temperature has some blue hue to it. It can stand out to the eye of the cop, especially if every other cars around there are running halogen or OEM 4100k HID.
agreed. i had 6000k before. by itself, it probably looks ok. but when you put them together with other cars with factory hid, you can tell
Old 03-31-11, 12:05 PM
showtymers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for one installing HID on a non HID equipped care is illegal to begin with, he was just making you into an example
Old 03-31-11, 12:25 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...=37&board=32.0

Everything you need to know about tickets, maybe because Evo drivers get pulled over all the time.
Old 03-31-11, 12:57 PM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

I'll see if I can help you here. There's a lot of misinformation in this thread. If you live in the State of CA, here are the laws

TINT
You can't have any dark tint in the front, but you can have "clear" or 70% light transmittance film. You'll need a note for the temporary shades from a Doctor, but not for the clear UV tint. .

CA Vehicle Code 26708
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

For Window Film attached to the side windows or "tint".

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 26708(d)
Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the installing company and the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material’s manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer’s instructions ( )3 meet the requirements of this subdivision and the certificate identifies the material’s manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
Thus the front side windows may have a window film in CA if allows more than 70% of light in. The film cannot be reflective in any way.

As for notes from doctors and sunshades:

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 26708(b)
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
Here's a simplified table that just reads out the basics to the Vehicle Code:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

EXHAUST
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 27151(a)
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
This level set is 95dB(A) from previous years (I doubt it has changed for 2011) & enforced by the California Highway Patrol.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/content/pdf6366.pdf

The dB(A) weighting is very important. Note the curve of the (A) weighting and how it greatly filters out low frequencies. If your exhaust is loud in the very low frequencies (i.e. is very "deep" sounding), it still may be legal do to the (A) weighting measurement.

If you have an iPhone you can purchase a $0.99 soundmeter app which is close enough to get the idea if you're illegal or not.
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/spl_meter.html

SPEEDING
You admitted to the officer you went faster than the speed limit. You're kinda screwed there. Your only hope is 1) You can do Trial by Written Declaration and hope it gets thrown out 2) Go to court and hope the cop doesn't show or doesn't recall the incident 3) tell your story to the judge and hopes he shows you mercy.

HEADLIGHTS
Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 25950
This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
yellow
, except as follows:
(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red
to the front.
(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the
color spectrum from white to yellow. ..
Now you can argue that 6000K is predominately white (especially since the newer LED daytime running lights that are OEM on many new cars are about the same color), however the bulbs are likely still illegal under CA VC 24011

Originally Posted by CA Vehicle Code 24011
Whenever a federal motor vehicle safety standard is established under federal law (49 U.S.C. Sec. 30101 et seq.), no dealer shall sell or offer for sale a vehicle to which the standard is applicable, and no person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon a vehicle an item of equipment to which the standard is applicable, unless:

(a) The vehicle or equipment conforms to the applicable federal standard.

(b) The vehicle or equipment bears thereon a certification by the manufacturer or distributor that it complies with the applicable federal standards. The certification may be in the form of a symbol prescribed in the federal standards or, if there is no federal symbol, by a symbol acceptable to the department.
The standard above is noted by Department of Transportation (DOT) and Society of Automotive Engineer (SAE) symbols stamped on the applicable parts.

Last edited by Hapa88; 04-04-11 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 01:46 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what happened to responsibility? you got a ticket that was deserved(officer didnt make up the citations). wrong place wrong time.
Old 03-31-11, 08:46 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by onihc
what happened to responsibility? you got a ticket that was deserved(officer didnt make up the citations). wrong place wrong time.

Now stop being a baby and pay what you owe!!! EXCUSE ME Mr. Keebler elf, I didn't know your cookies would make me a fat pig and have heart disease!!! I want money!! Cigarettes caused my cancer!!... OP ya see the point??? YOU, and YOU alone did this NO ONE ELSE!!!
Old 04-01-11, 02:06 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude the cop was using you as a training tool for the trainees he had riding with him. A lot of that stuff he wrote you for were just unnecessary.

Some of you say take it like a man, but let’s face it. The cop was being a ****. They forget whom it is they work for. They are supposed to keep the public safe, not go around messing with the public just to meet a quota or get their rocks off. Some people should not have power over other people. That shiitt goes str8 to their heads.

This should have been a simple speeding ticket.
Old 04-01-11, 07:28 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lfrers
Dude the cop was using you as a training tool for the trainees he had riding with him. A lot of that stuff he wrote you for were just unnecessary.

Some of you say take it like a man, but let’s face it. The cop was being a ****. They forget whom it is they work for. They are supposed to keep the public safe, not go around messing with the public just to meet a quota or get their rocks off. Some people should not have power over other people. That shiitt goes str8 to their heads.

Wow guys just WOW.... There is NO QUOTA... NONE what so ever!!! You guys are really living in a "kum bay ya" world if you really think there is. This was NOT a case of selective enforcement! EVERYTHING the OP did was a citable offense, EVERYTHING! Everybody is coming down on the officer for doing his job! Let us NOT forget the OP's responsibility to be a upstanding citizen. Driving your vehicle 25 or 35 mph over the speed limit is NOT responsible! driving with 6k HID fogs blinding other drivers is NOT responsible, tinted windows ARE ILLEGAL on the front! Not to mention ALL officers carry either a window transparcy card OR a light meter! The OP kindly left that part out! You just don't look at a car and say I think I'll pull him over, you MUST have "probable cause" Driving with a LOUD muffler is NOT responsible! If you think it is ask the OP's neighbors what they think of his "race car"! Remember the Keebler elf didn't make society a bunch of little piggy's, their gluttony did! For God sake OP take RESPONSIBILITY for YOUR actions!!! OP your first mistake was trying to argue your point on the side of the road.... Just plain DUMB!! Your answers should be as followed... Do you know why I stopped you? yes officer, I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention to my speed, I'm sorry. His answer will go something like this ... Ok, let me see your license and registration. He will go back to his vehicle run your name and check for wants and warrants, and 9 x out of 10 will give you a warning! Now when he pulls you over and you call him a liar by saying there is "no way I was going that fast" you just screwed yourself. Hope this helps for your future LEO encounters, because if you keep this same attitude you WILL have many more!.

Last edited by ming15237; 04-01-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-01-11, 09:22 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Law > Opinion.

Lots of people got plenty of opinions on this thread...
Old 04-01-11, 09:32 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

apparently, you have power over the law

seriously, if some of you have a problem with fix it tickets and **** california laws, you guys can move to another state.
Old 04-01-11, 11:11 AM
SinisterGS
Rookie

OEM Tint ? are the passenger and driver front windows tinted ?
You can get away with the HID ticket, almost all the new vehicles are comming standard with them.
The exhaust I'm not too sure what you can do with that, just depends on the citing officer. Whether is was a Highway Patrol, PD or Sheriff.
Old 04-01-11, 11:54 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

FIGHT !!!!! VERY FEW cop like that D bag make others look bad.... Mr. tough guy !!!

GL to you brotha.... I would definitely prepare with some docs and possibly Jasma specs or some kinda proof to fight your after market parts !!

J
Old 04-01-11, 01:01 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onihc
apparently, you have power over the law

seriously, if some of you have a problem with fix it tickets and **** california laws, you guys can move to another state.
Yes. And unlike a lot of guys I dont want people to kiss my feet, just answer my questions. To any of you LEOs on her reading this. I'm not some hippy communist activist. I am a law enforcement officer. I love my country and yes that includes California too. Dont mean much on the internet but give me a spec of credibility when reading this.

Not all laws are just and truly serve the purpose of protecting the people. When you cite someone you must do it with the interest of justice and fairness.

I AM NOT saying he did not deserve a ticket. HE DID. You just don’t bend people over a barrel and ream them since you have them there on a vehicle stop anyway. He was reamed because the officer is either a D*** or a mindless robot who writes tickets because that's what is written in the vehicle code.

I got the feeling the officer wrote a nasty ticket because he had trainees with him. WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY PEOPLE HATE COPS? Because there are TOO MANY COPS with this attitude. They show little to no leniency unless you got big *****. They do not work with the sole interest of protecting the public. You are supposed to use some discretion when citing people.

Exhaust is a technicality. How does it serve the interest of justice to give him a ticket for exhaust? If the guy was driving like a ricer duchbaggg endangering the public I can understand that. But you don't just start tacking on a laundry list of stuff to some shmuck on his way to work to see how bad you can mess this guy up. Oh it's too loud, then you get the biker wanabe ***** that pulls up on a chopper and you cant even hear yourself think. Where is the logic in that?

The public doesn’t care if an officer or Federal Agent from any branch gets shot now, It used to be an outrage. A lot of it is because there are a lot of people who are still sore from the unnecessary reaming they got from their last encounter with an officer. Slowly but surely you erode public confidence. Now the assaults on officers are higher that ever before and the public can care less. Stop making the public hate us. Treat people with fairness.
Old 04-01-11, 01:11 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. And unlike a lot of guys I dont want people to kiss my feet, just answer my questions. To any of you LEOs on her reading this. I'm not some hippy communist activist. I am a law enforcement officer. I love my country and yes that includes California too. Dont mean much on the internet but give me a spec of credibility when reading this.

Not all laws are just and truly serve the purpose of protecting the people. When you cite someone you must do it with the interest of justice and fairness.

I AM NOT saying he did not deserve a ticket. HE DID. You just don’t bend people over a barrel and ream them since you have them there on a vehicle stop anyway. He was reamed because the officer is either a D*** or a mindless robot who writes tickets because that's what is written in the vehicle code.

I got the feeling the officer wrote a nasty ticket because he had trainees with him. WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY PEOPLE HATE COPS? Because there are TOO MANY COPS with this attitude. They show little to no leniency unless you got big *****. They do not work with the sole interest of protecting the public. You are supposed to use some discretion when citing people.

Exhaust is a technicality. How does it serve the interest of justice to give him a ticket for exhaust? If the guy was driving like a ricer duchbaggg endangering the public I can understand that. But you don't just start tacking on a laundry list of stuff to some shmuck on his way to work to see how bad you can mess this guy up. Oh it's too loud, then you get the biker wanabe ***** that pulls up on a chopper and you cant even hear yourself think. Where is the logic in that?

The public doesn’t care if an officer or Federal Agent from any branch gets shot now, It used to be an outrage. A lot of it is because there are a lot of people who are still sore from the unnecessary reaming they got from their last encounter with an officer. Slowly but surely you erode public confidence. Now the assaults on officers are higher that ever before and the public can care less. Stop making the public hate us. Treat people with fairness.

You choose THIS instance to throw a fellow officer under the bus? Since when do LEO not give fellow LEO the benefit of the doubt when that LEO isn't there to present his side of the story? First I've ever seen of that.

Could see if the officer screwed him over with bogus tickets but nothing in the OP disputes any of the tickets as outright falsehoods. True he didn't have to write him up for all four but that doesn't mean the OP didn't deserve them.

Slamming a fellow LEO based on two posts presenting one side of the story and even then where he accepts NO responsibility for any of his actions is bad form in my opinion.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 04-01-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-01-11, 02:18 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Yes because exhaust was brought up.

I should say this was intended for those officers who have not been at it long enough to understand the following. You need to learn to understand the intent of the laws you are enforcing. I get pissed at the guys are too hard headed to understand that. It's usually not the senior guys its the damn new guys who are overzealous. ie the exhaust and intake and all that other crap were intended to crack down on the asssshole ricers. Who endanger everyone and sometimes kill people.

The idiots that race every car under the sun in the middle of a road or highway with other people who can get hurt. Use those laws on them when you see them endangering others.

WTF is up with the cops who ticket responsible tuners when they are just hanging out at a meet. It's a hobby for some of us.

The excuses? For the most part emissions is total bull shhhit. Making an engine breath better by adding a filter or better flowing exhaust, oh now thats a crime worth enforcing. Too loud F that! Then a friggen Harley pulls up and blows your eardrums out. You need to be able to interpret the intent of the laws as they are passed. Not everything is black & white. New guys and even some guys who have been at it a while don't get it. Just ruin it for everyone. People are afraid to go to meets like they are committing a freaken crime. Give me a break.

Do you see where im coming from? Just a bit of a vent man. Would never throw a fellow officer under the bus. I've been at it over 10 years, I've done and seen a lot. Almost got myself killed a few times enforcing the law.

Dont take part in making the public hate us. Enforce the laws. But dont be a diickk about it.

Quick Reply: I got a 4 violation ticket!