CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

I got a 4 violation ticket!

Old 03-30-11, 11:58 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=projectdna;6270431]not that i don't sympathize with what happened to the OP, but before everyone gets bent out of shape and bash said law enforcement officer(s) for their actions let's look at this objectively.

i see that you not only have the HKS hi-power but you also did the resonator delete. that'll create enough sound to tip off the officer to pull you over and cite you for a "modified exhaust system". (btw, the HKS hi-power system isn't "street legal", and there was/is/will be no 50-state-legal certificate for it.)

as far as the tint and the lighting, while i've never gotten a ticket for those as well (though most of that is from a change in driving habits/attitude) california vehicle code specifies the following:

(from here: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html)

you were caught in an unfortunate circumstance, and it is what it is. if you can get your girlfriend's dad to write off the fix-it violations, go for it. again, to the OP, not that i sympathize with your situation (having received my fair share of traffic violations), but looking at it objectively the law enforcement officer was doing his job and you were simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

regardless of the outcome, hope you get this resolved.LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-11, 06:21 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, never admit the speed you were going, once you do that its over (5th amendment bro!). You said he had you sign something? Was it the speeding ticket? If it was then you may not have much of a case in court.. I'm still confused with the whole "sign or go to jail" thing. Why would you go to jail if you didnt sign?? Either way, I'd take the ticket to a traffic lawyer (i hear CA has a bunch of those). Pay a little extra and you won't get pts on your license which is what hurts in the long run via insurance if they pick up on it (in tune of $1-2k+ over x years the pts show up on your license).
Old 03-31-11, 06:33 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

do the IS' even come factory tinted? if it comes from the factory tinted then your ok. if you bought a cpo that had been tinted, thats a different story.
Old 03-31-11, 06:43 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all modern cars come with 70% tint in the glass from factory, so if you add anything on top of it then it becomes illegal. You can actually tell if you have polarized sun glasses, the glass looks funky. That still sucks, I'm running 35% front (illegal) and rear (legal) windows, and 15% (legal) in the back windshield and haven't had any issues yet and I've passed staties and local cops alot lately.. but they were trying to make an example out of the OP.
Old 03-31-11, 07:02 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MoeIS350
I guess it was my day to receive a traffic ticket since a long time!

I was driving on the 101 north going towards north hollywood, when I get pulled over by the 170/101north junction as where they split.

A police officer comes out with a cadet, and another officer, asks me where I'm coming from, and all the nonsense, he even tests me as if I'm drunk or on drugs.

I explained to him that I was really tired, and that me and my girlfriend had just got done with the X-Factor audition, I was excited for her passing, so I was sorry if I did anything wrong, he stated I was speeding and if I knew the speed limit here, and I apologized and told him I was following the flow of traffic, and was going 75, and that the speed limit was 65? I remember looking at my speedometer before he pulled me over, and it said 75, he stated I was going 85 on a 55 zone, I apologized once again and told him I did not believe this as the car infront of me was going a whole lot faster and yet I get pulled over? Hmmm..

He comes back, states that I am getting ticketed for speeding, for having "modified exhaust" (HKS Hi-Power), having "blue lights" (hid 6000k 35watts), and tinted windows (which came OEM from the dealer!).... I told him that my tint was OEM from the dealer, he did not believe it, I told him that I never had problems with this before and never heard of such things being a problem, I understand the speeding even though I wasnt, but thats just outrageous, he told me I had to sign the ticket or go to jail...

I guess he wanted to impress his little cadet that he was teaching, and plus its the end of the month and the highway patrol and PD love giving away tickets before their monthly quota....

I have NEVER in my life, ever got ticketed for having exhaust, having OEM tints, having HID lights.... this police officer was a total douche bag, not because he gave me a ticket, but a couple of my co-workers had the SAME problem from that SAME cop....

I will definitely fight this ticket, I also called my dealership I bought my car from, they told me my tint was OEM, and that it met the california tint requirements.... I'm pissed right now

You did it... You got busted... Now be a man about it and either pay the fine or fight it You knew the exhaust was illegal, you knew that doing 75 OR 85 in a 55 or 65 zone was illegal, and I have NEVER know a car guy whom had aftermarket tint on his windows and didn't know it. And HID's in the fogs does nothing kind for your fellow drivers! It blinds the hell out of them though, and creates a serious danger for them. Not trying to be a jerk here but it always amused me when ppl would get pissed about getting caught for doing something they knew was illegal.
Old 03-31-11, 07:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
You said he had you sign something? Was it the speeding ticket? If it was then you may not have much of a case in court.. I'm still confused with the whole "sign or go to jail" thing. Why would you go to jail if you didnt sign??
You are wrong, signing a speeding ticket in California is not an admission of guilt. The ticket is a summons to appear before the court, and your signature is nothing but a promise to appear there to answer the charges. Refusal to sign is likely to result in the officer taking you into custody, where you may have to post a bond, spend an evening or weekend in jail, or some other unpleasantness. And you'll still need to appear in court of answer the charges.
Old 03-31-11, 09:08 AM
needis
Driver School Candidate

Wait till it gets closer to court date and call them for an extension (30day, than ask for another 30 days total 60 days). Most police person pick the court date on a day they will be working but when you ask for an extension, the city clerk assigns you a new date. Good luck fighting it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-31-11, 09:14 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go ahead and appear in court and have the officer subpoenaed. As for having an illegal mod, that's something you have to deal with - especially the cops, they will go more after luxury/sport cars than a regular sedan for speeding if they are out for the hunt.

If you want to cover your butt, I usually say within +2/3 over the limit so at least it would stay somewhere in-between the error read out of the instrument cluster and police scanner.

I heard from a classmate that a friend of his (on a motorcycle) gotten pulled over by cop (for speeding) in the middle of the night. The officer asked him if he knew what he was doing (I think that was the question), the friend replies "I'm following the flow of traffic". The hilarious thing is there was virtually no traffic in any direction and the cop just let him go and asked him to be careful and be on his way!

Last edited by Sango; 03-31-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
You did it... You got busted... Now be a man about it and either pay the fine or fight it You knew the exhaust was illegal, you knew that doing 75 OR 85 in a 55 or 65 zone was illegal, and I have NEVER know a car guy whom had aftermarket tint on his windows and didn't know it. And HID's in the fogs does nothing kind for your fellow drivers! It blinds the hell out of them though, and creates a serious danger for them. Not trying to be a jerk here but it always amused me when ppl would get pissed about getting caught for doing something they knew was illegal.

Best response in this thread.

Now the cop is a douche for pointing out what is already defined in state laws that are readily available on the internet?

If you can't afford to pay the tickets for the mods, then you can't afford the mods.
Old 03-31-11, 09:17 AM
Ep350
Rookie

sucks to hear what happened hope you get this resolved.
Old 03-31-11, 09:21 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those fines suck...

For the HID, stick a white piece of paper in front of your headlights when they are on. If any part of the paper appears blue, then you are dead meat. It is illegal. The paper should be white.

For the exhaust, it is LEGAL to have an axle-back exhausts in California, BUT it has to be within the sound limit. I believe F-Sport is right at the legal sound limit in CA. You need to have the sound level measured, then show it in court that it was within the legal specification.

For the tint, have the dealer write-up a statement that the tint came from the factory or they were sold to you along with the vehicle. That way, it becomes the dealer's liability for selling you an illegal car in CA.

Definitely watch out, the state is broke. So all those cops are going to write up more ticket so that they won't be laid off. They claim that there is no quota but I highly doubt it. I think that the quota has been raised by 30% to fund the state's deficit. Cops are catching people in the grey area of the law. My buddy got a ticket for not turning his headlights on at 4:30 in the afternoon. The law states that you need to have headlights on ONE HOUR before sunset or ONE HOUR after sunrise. So be extra careful people...

Last edited by shadowman; 03-31-11 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:30 AM
defrag
Driver

Its ok, I got a an 7 violation ticket (took 2 ticket sheets) in my 05 GMC Canyon. Modified exhaust, illegal engine modification (had a non-carb k&n intake), blue turn signals (white led), blue headlamps (6k 35watt mtec), window tint (my windows were down and made me roll them up), having video playing while the vehicle was moving (had music videos going on my double din ), and a headlight too low ticket...

it sucked... and it was right before i pulled into my driveway (less than 500ft)

just take it to the judge...
Old 03-31-11, 09:48 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

sorry to hear man..
Old 03-31-11, 10:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
6000k HID's should never be a problem. That's not even blue, its white. 8000K is blue. If you get a ticket for 6000k in a car with projector headlights, the cop was really looking for things to cite you for.

6000K color temperature has some blue hue to it. It can stand out to the eye of the cop, especially if every other cars around there are running halogen or OEM 4100k HID.
Old 03-31-11, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i am sorry to hear your evening, it sux, i agree, and i feel for you. the cop probably could have been nicer and would be great if he cut you some slack. but let me get this straight, you call him a douche bag just because he was sticking to rules and did his job?

you were speeding, you admitted it, he wrote your speed (i can only assume he was telling the truth because that's what the judge would), and he's a douche bag?

for exhaust, you can fight it if you think that's under the law DB noise level, you will be sent to referee.

hid? you can argue all you want, but 6000k are illegal, period. they aren't street legal and you always see the fine print that says off-road use only. the ONLY legal headlight hid bulbs are 4100-4300k. you are in the wrong, period

tint? oem? you got it wrong. from oem there is NO tint on ANY of the windows. if anything the dealer you bought the car from tinted the windows. the rear window and the rear sides, they can be as dark as you want. but the front sides, you cannot have any tint (by law). same with front windshield. the only exception is if you have medical notes from physician saying tint is necessary

again, i feel for you, ticket sux, always. but time to get the facts right and face what you did (fight it or admit it)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got a 4 violation ticket!