CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Speeding Ticket Questions ... FML

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 11:26 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket Questions ... FML

hey what up all. I got a speeding ticket this morning on surface street. The cop said i was going 43 on a 25 zone. It happened in Pasadena on Lake and Colorado at 6 AM. There were hardly any traffic at the time. I had to speed up a bit cause every freaking stop light has cameras on them, so I had to speed up or get caught in the picture.

The ticket said he used a laser to determine my speed. He did indicate the safe speed at the time was 30 mph, so i guess that means I went 13 mph over the speed limit. The violation code reads "cvc 22350 - unsafe speeds".

Here's the thing. I already got a moving violation 6 months ago and paid the fine plus traffic school. According to the state law you can only go to traffic school every 18 months. My main concern is not getting a point on my driving record and have my insurance premiums go up.

My questions are...
1. Should I fight the speeding ticket since I can't go to traffic school. The worst thing is I have to pay the fine? Basically go to court and plead not guilty, but if the cop shows i'm basically SOL.

2. Are there services that you guys have used to get you out of speeding tickets? The ticket fine is probably going to be $200 or something, so if there is a service that cost $50 or something I would be happy to pay that so I don't have to take any time off from work to deal with this kinda stuff. If the service is more than the fine than this is a pointless option.

3. If I plead guilty do you think I can speak to the judge and request for traffic school so the point does not show up on my record?

Just trying to find out what my options are with my situation. If I had gotten this ticket after 18 months of my last ticket I would just pay it off and do traffic school. This is kinda a weird situation. I feel like i can just plead not guilty and at worst lose n pay the fine w/ no traffic school option anyways.

Traffic tickets suck so much. thanks for the input everyone!
Old 03-09-11, 11:33 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i did #3 before. it was a 12 hour course. this was over ten years ago.
Old 03-10-11, 12:28 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn were u going to the gym or something? 6 am is mad early.
Old 03-10-11, 01:18 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I never gotten a speeding ticket before, but never EVER speed in pasadena especially on foothill / colorado. Cameras every where freaking retarded

You can try number 1, i believe most of the time the cops do not show. But a speeding ticket they might show up. Maybe you can try number 1 and if it doesnt work go straight to number 3.
Old 03-10-11, 01:55 AM
thatWESguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fight it via trial by declaration
Old 03-10-11, 08:44 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

You cant fight the laser!
Cops not showing up for their court dates is VERY RARE.
Old 03-10-11, 09:27 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thatWESguy
fight it via trial by declaration
what he said ^^^ i did it and WON

ask for 30-day extension, just to take more time for cop to hmmm forget about it maybe ? Anyway, thats what I did, i asked for extension and fight it w/ trial by written declaration (search my thread in here), then submit the paper then wait few weeks and most likely you will win if you explain it right
Old 03-10-11, 10:21 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Well it looks like there is a sign that says 25 MPH speed limit. Checked out the street this morning on the way to work. So in a way I was driving above the speed limit at the time, but there was no way I can see that sign when its 6 AM and it is still dark. How am I going to fight this ticket now that I know there is a sign posted..... not looking good for me.

It's funny how I was pulled over right in front of my work place and the last time I got pulled over in Pasadena was in the parking lot of PCC when I was attending PCC a few years back. What a coincidence!!!

Now that you guys know there is a sign posted... is there much options for me now or its a done deal and just pay fine and have the point on driving record?
Old 03-10-11, 10:59 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

of course there was a sign 35mph when i went 49mph (base on his radar), you just have to try fight it, worst case could happen Pay the damn fine and don't do it again.

It's worth to try....who knows, the cops might now show up, he probably forget about it 30-45 days from now...
Old 03-10-11, 12:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd go to court and pray that the cop doesn't show up. 13 MPH isn't that much over, especially between Lake and Colorado. I always see really fast cars whiz by there all the time, and I always hope no pedestrian was crossing. But it was pretty early, so cops are more alert at that time. Sucks you got caught. Hopefully the cop doesn't show. Best of luck!
Old 03-10-11, 12:39 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the input everyone. im going to fight it. have to read up on the cvc code i got written up on. just in case the police officer does show up. there has to be something for me to get myself out of this citation.
Old 03-10-11, 01:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in your situation before, i would recommend doing this:

1) File for and do a trial by written declaration. You send in your argument and bail amount, cop mails in his, if the cop doesn't send in anything, you win and get your check back. If you lose, they take the check and find you guilty.

2) If that fails, ask for a trial de novo - This gives you a in-court trial even in the event you are proven guilty by written declaration. Its a second shot. Cop don't show up, your good to go. Cop shows up, you plead guilty and ask for a fee reduction and/or traffic school.

Usually, you will lose the trial by declaration. But you have a better chance at winning in the trail de novo. I've done this myself and so have my buddies, i'd say 3 out of 4 times you can avoid getting a point on your record. There's always a judge that has no sympathy for people tho. Most of the time however, they are pretty nice, and even when proven guilty as long as your paying the state their fine money, they have no reason to stick the point on you.

BTW just cuz the cop doesn't show up doesn't ALWAYS mean you'll be let off. It's STILL under the judges discretion. Altho most of the time they will dismiss it, i don't know how it is now with CA In a budget crisis.
Old 03-10-11, 02:07 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Delay for as long as you can and TBD.

If you lose Trial De Novo and ask for traffic school etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-11, 02:49 PM
KOIS
Rookie

I was in your situation, but was very very lucky!
17 years old and was driving like "a bat out of hell" the officer told me
60+ in a 25 zone that leads into a 45-50 zone right after school..
Got an extension went to court and cop was a no show
Would've been a $900 ticket and suspended license if I remember correctly
Old 03-10-11, 07:38 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

fight it via written declaration or in person(extend the date as many times as you can 1st) if he had ticketed you for going x miles over posted you would have a very slim chance, but since it was written up as unsafe speed he has to prove you were driving at an unsafe speed given the time of day and the that there was little to no traffic and the fact that you were in complete control of your vehicle you stand a good chance. You could always enlist the services of Mr. Ticket http://www.4mrticket.com/

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Questions ... FML