CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Problem with Longo Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 10:25 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Problem with Longo Lexus

Today I took my 97 ES to Longo for a check engine light (P0441 evap emission purge flow fault) because it was covered under an extended warranty that was 14 years or 150k miles, I found out by looking here:

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/toyota.html

When I got there the service adviser told me that their system was down and they could not tell me if my car was qualified. So I had to leave the car there and wait for them to call me. I got a call a few hours later and they tell me my car does not qualify under the extended warranty because my car was built on 9/96 and it was sold one month later. Then they tell me the purge vacuum switching valve is bad and they will charge close to $500 to fix it! They asked me if i want to fix it I said HELL NO I am going to pick up the car. When I got there I find out I have to pay $135 for the diagnosis. Now I know why they call it the stealership.
If I knew this was going to happen I would have taken my car to an honest mechanic that I have had good experiences with, this is the place:

Evolution Automotive
10 w. Live Oak Ave #A
Arcadia, CA 91007
(626)821-8797
Old 12-21-10, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am a bit confused. when you brought the car in, did you sign any estimation cost, etc...? if not, shouldn't they first check on the eligibility of your warranty, before they diagnose anything? and they should only do the diagnosis after getting your approval, even verbal?

if that's not the case, i'd refuse to pay.
Old 12-21-10, 10:46 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I did sign an estimate but what they led me to believe was that they would first inform me if the warranty was still good before doing any work. I payed with a credit card.
Old 12-21-10, 11:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

signing that estimate gave them the permission to diagnose your vehicle. not sure why they did the diagnosis even though they found that it wasn't under the warranty, but by you having signed that document, you were bound to any estimation costs from the diagnosis. i'd ask them why they didn't let you know it was beyond warranty first before they decided to check it out. best of luck!
Old 12-22-10, 09:33 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

They can't charge you anything without your consent as in your signature or verbal agreement.
Old 12-22-10, 11:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
I did sign an estimate but what they led me to believe was that they would first inform me if the warranty was still good before doing any work. I payed with a credit card.
um, if you signed the estimate already, then not much you can do i guess, unless you told them not to do anything when they informed you warranty is over
Old 12-22-10, 11:15 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reason why I get my car serviced at Lexus of Westminster now instead of Longo.
Old 12-23-10, 12:05 PM
LongoLexs1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longo Lexus Replies

My name is Joe Castro and I am the Service Director at Longo Lexus. First, I would like to apologize for your disappointing experience with our dealership.

I would like to address the issues you raised and hope to make things right.

Based on your initial concern that the "check engine light" was on, our service advisor gave an initial estimate of $135 to diagnose the source of the problem.

We determined that the malfunction code indicated a defective fuel evaporative purge valve, a component that is covered for a period of 14 years or 150,000 miles whichever occurs first. The mileage is within the guidelines, but the date of first-use exceeds the 14th year by 4 months.

We operated within the guidelines of the Bureau of Automotive Repair by providing an estimate to diagnose the source of the check engine light being illuminated, explained the charges and obtained your signature authorizing the diagnosis and repair.

However, it is important to me and to Longo that we gain our clients' trust and confidence. This is one of the reasons we have built loyal and longtime clients over the years. Please contact me directly at 626-580-6252 and I will be happy to refund your money.
Old 12-23-10, 12:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

^ Wow you made an account after seeing this? That's very nice of you.
Old 12-23-10, 12:33 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I suppose DJPsystems couldn't do anything since he signed the document. Sometimes we get caught over ourselves we just want things fixed without exactly understanding what we are signing for hehehehe. I was thinking to myself too that Longo would first check if it is qualified then let DJPsystems before doing the dignostic. DJPsystems already diagnosed it himself by getting the CEL. I think if they told him it wasn't qualified, he would probably turn around and take it to a local shop instead for the fix.

Way to joining up LongoLexs1 and explaining things. Thats awesome.
Old 12-23-10, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

big applaud to joe to spend time to explain the situation, this is great. big props!
Old 12-23-10, 04:35 PM
lsvtec
Lead Lap

lucky OP to get back your $$$, it's a lesson for everyone to learn.
Old 12-23-10, 04:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

If that isn't called stepping up to the plate, I don't know what isn't. Thank you Joe for chiming in on this. I have no doubt in my mind Longo will do the right thing, that's why I buy my cars and do my services there.
Old 12-23-10, 10:53 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
^ Wow you made an account after seeing this? That's very nice of you.
He had to...Longo has a reputation to uphold, Nothing can be more devastating than having a public worldwide forum giving you negative publicity about your business and having millions of people read about it. No business wants negative publicity.
Old 12-24-10, 03:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

holy crap so the OP was totally at fault here but longo STILL hooked him up? damn o.O

Quick Reply: Problem with Longo Lexus