CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

ReFlashing Key FOB??? Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 12:52 AM
TopGearLA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReFlashing Key FOB??? Los Angeles

Hey all,
Lost a pair of my keys a month ago and replaced it with one from ebay after reading that certain dealers/locksmith... i've called around a few places and they are wanting around 150 for just the reflashing... which is just insane... i haven't heard of a dealer being capable, and hoping anyone had any insight. Thanks!
Old 08-17-10, 11:00 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got mine done at glendale for like 60 bucks
Old 08-17-10, 12:38 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

I called Lexus of Glendale, and like Santa Monica, they said the keys cant be reprogrammed to other cars, which from stories around the net feel is a lie and just something they dont support. If anyone has any good info id rather not pay the egregious amount to do this at a dealer or even the 150 to some locksmith. $60 i can do.. with the price of the key being almost 50, $110 isn't as bad comparatively. Anyone who can help, I would really appreciate it!!!
Old 08-17-10, 01:30 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Go to a Locksmith, B&B in Alhambra, they'll do it for 100 cut and program.

Other than that, nobody really is going to do it for 60 bucks, unless they're extra nice and generous that day.

Most dealer will give you the run around. Longo lexus quoted 150 to take care of this.
Old 08-17-10, 02:44 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGearLA
Hey all,
Lost a pair of my keys a month ago and replaced it with one from ebay after reading that certain dealers/locksmith... i've called around a few places and they are wanting around 150 for just the reflashing... which is just insane... i haven't heard of a dealer being capable, and hoping anyone had any insight. Thanks!
the question isn't whether dealers can or can't reflash key fobs, as i'm pretty certain they have the equipment onsite. however, the question is whether you are willing to pay them their asking price... and it appears that you aren't.

apologies for being blunt, but just because you deem the value of this service $60 doesn't make it so. either nut up and pay their asking price, or live with one fewer key fob.

hope you get it figured out. best of luck.
Old 08-17-10, 03:04 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

haha dude, you are useless... no they deny even being capable of doing it.. so thanks for your non insight. lol i dunno how paying money has anything to do with manning up... just coz i can doesnt mean i should. regardless thanks to the people who actually cited options, not opinions.
Old 08-17-10, 03:06 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

Default questions

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Go to a Locksmith, B&B in Alhambra, they'll do it for 100 cut and program.

Other than that, nobody really is going to do it for 60 bucks, unless they're extra nice and generous that day.

Most dealer will give you the run around. Longo lexus quoted 150 to take care of this.
Is this for a key that was already synced to another car or a brand new one?
Old 08-17-10, 03:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TopGearLA
haha dude, you are useless... no they deny even being capable of doing it.. so thanks for your non insight. lol i dunno how paying money has anything to do with manning up... just coz i can doesnt mean i should. regardless thanks to the people who actually cited options, not opinions.
glad to see that you took time away from trying to resolve your issues to respond to my post. your sense of humor obviously hasn't cheapened.

again, best of luck, and don't get tripped up over your false sense of entitlement before you actually resolve your issues.
Old 08-17-10, 04:54 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

no sense of entitlement, just don't take the easy road where money is involved... because I am NOT entitled, I need to do what I can to preserve what I earn. Nonetheless, if you have any first hand experience as opposed to judgement, please keep to the topic and feel free to discuss not project, whatever complex of absolution [in how things should be] towards me.

So seriously bro, if you have no actual clue and are just assuming your *** off, don't bother with posts.
Old 08-17-10, 07:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealer certainly can do what you want.

But it won't be for $60.

Programming a key that was previously programmed requires a lot more work than programming a new one.

New one is a few minutes to just add it.

Getting an already-used one requires basically clearing and resetting the entire system in the car then re-adding all the keys.
Old 08-17-10, 10:29 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the fobs just using simple transponder chips? If so, the only thing you program is the car, not the fob....

Vince
Old 08-17-10, 10:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ if that is the case, that each key fob is individually coded to send a unique signal, then yes, the recognition system in the 2is needs to be programmed to accept the new transponder.

my interpretation is as follows: if you remove the battery from the key fob and replace it with another battery, the key fob still works. as such, it's hard-coded into the transponder chip. if it wasn't, removing the battery would wipe the code from the key fob. it's not quite electrical engineering speak, but common logic should hold.

also, Kurtz is right. according to page 362 of the MY2006 owner's manual:

New genuine Lexus keys can be made by your Lexus dealer using one of the other keys or the key number stamped on your key number plate.
had the OP pointed this out to the dealerships he has contacted, he wouldn't be bemoaning the fact that these dealers were trying to pull a quick one on him, and he certainly wouldn't jump to his conclusion that i'm just making baseless assumptions.

now, whether the OP wants to pay the price for key fob reprogramming (which may be a misnomer if CleverName is right) or live with one less key fob... well, we've already come to a conclusion about that.
Old 11-04-11, 09:40 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump, is there any locksmiths out there that are willing to reflash the ecu for cheap? Dealer wants $300 to flash and $175 for the key uncut.

I'll give B&B a call tomorrow.

key is for a 01 gs430
Old 11-05-11, 01:31 PM
IIjzXXL
Rookie

oo i been meaning to do this i been rolling with my valet key for almost a year. let me know whats going on?
Old 11-05-11, 01:56 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

B&B charges $250 just for reflash alone.

West minster according to K3RRY its $275.

Out of my price range but i'm still calling around and haven't seen anything cheaper yet..

Quick Reply: ReFlashing Key FOB??? Los Angeles