CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Laws regarding Parking Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 03:09 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laws regarding Parking Tickets

Is anyone familiar with the CA laws regarding parking tickets?

I was cited today in Cerritos for blocking a street sweeper in a residential neighborhood. The neighborhood did not have any signs visible that stated vehicles are not allowed to park on the street on Tuesdays.

The fine is only $25 but I am more enraged over the principle. Is there a vehicle code that states a sign must be visible? Apparently, this is a city ordinance.

Edit:
http://www.codepublishing.com/ca/Cer...012.html#10.12
Cerritos Municipal Code
10.12.065 Parking prohibited during designated days for street sweeping.

The parking of any vehicle on any street during designated days and times for street sweeping is prohibited. (Ord. 915 § 1, 2006)

Almost any city could enact an ordinance without any public knowledge and be able to write tickets like these.

Last edited by pingu; 06-15-10 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 04:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sorry to hear. Pops has had his share of tickets too.

The signs are posted at the entrance to each tract/block about 30' from the corner. On my way out, I'll snap one that is posted in our tract. I don't use the other entrances though I suspect they have them posted up as well. It is integrated with the "No Parking" evening hours also.

Wife's folks in Anaheim have signs posted on each street. Cerritos does not so if you miss the sign and if it is sweeping day.

P.S. Thanks for supporting the lovely city of Cerritos with your contribution. They will plant some tree and it will become some sap leaking, sidewalk/street cracking, sprinkler breaking, grass killing bother for the homeowner. Luckily they didn't put the pine trees on our street with hood and roof denting pine cones.

Last edited by RA40; 06-15-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 04:09 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I just looked at a picture of the street with google maps. There is ONE sign at the entrance of the housing tract like you said but no other signs posted throughout the neighborhood.

That must be the sneakiest way to post a sign. Some housing tracts can extend quite a long distance. I am also used to the signs posted on each street corner in Anaheim and other parts of Orange County. Those are easy to spot and very visible.

Cerritos won't be seeing another penny from me.
Old 06-15-10, 04:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

It is a sneaky way of doing it. I tell our guests to park on the driveway because invariably they will come by and cite any cars parked late night. I forget how many we've had over the years. The regular patrols know which car belongs to a homeowner so they do cut a break now-then.

What time was the ticket written up?
Old 06-15-10, 05:00 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

It was written in the afternoon, in the posted time when I was in violation.

I also never understood why you cannot park your cars on the street between 3am and 5am without a permit ($13 fine according to this form). Cerritos is a like a city HOA.

Last edited by pingu; 06-15-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 05:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

IDK either with the late night parking. Cerritos has a whole book of items about various city statutes to comply to. In some respects it has merits but at the same time... Cerritos does have a HOA like feel without the dues.
Old 06-18-10, 10:09 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you lived at your address?

How far (literally) is the sign from you house?

Post a pic of the sign so we can see it. Is it a typical "No parking on Tuesdays between blah blah blah" or is it a large sign that explains "No parking on Tuesdays between 'times' due to street cleaning in the city of Cerrritos, violators will be cited blah blah"

I would fight it if the distance is great and the sign is vague--possibly implying only the street it is posted on can not park cars on whatever days.