CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Official SoCal tint thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 07:41 AM
keny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Tint in Stanton(on Beach Blvd.) is absolutely awesome and I have been dealing with them for over a decade. Feel free to drop my name
Old 05-25-11, 06:18 PM
Lilblue
Driver School Candidate

Beach Auto Sound in Huntington Beach CA. Did my Tint on my 2011 Lexus IS250
Old 07-08-11, 03:43 PM
VGBSUPERFL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPtint
i dont blame em, look at your door panel and rear shades. that would freak anybody out who just bought a 100k car
if you're in San Diego and don't want your LS460 torn apart and your sun shade dismantled, go to Solar Eclipse. i did and they did an excellent job without panel removal in less than an 90 minutes...so if anyone tells you otherwise....

Last edited by VGBSUPERFL; 07-11-11 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 12:10 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VGBSUPERFL
if you're in San Diego and don't want your LS460 torn apart and your sun shade dismantled, go to Solar Eclipse. i did and they did an excellent job without panel removal in less than an 90 minutes...so if anyone tells you otherwise....
i know D and he does a good job, but having SHADES and LAMINATED glass makes the panel removal a must
Old 08-01-11, 07:30 PM
VGBSUPERFL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i know D and he does a good job, but having SHADES and LAMINATED glass makes the panel removal a must
greetings VIP, i can't speak on other lex models...however, i do have a 460L with a retractable rear sun shade and laminated side glass. hell, i don't know what laminated glass is, but apparantly i have it and the door panels remained intact during installation

Last edited by VGBSUPERFL; 08-01-11 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-09-11, 05:44 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

it just means that you have 2 layers of glass glued together. in an accident this helps keep the glass from flying all over the car. however minimal heat can be applied when tinting the windows. just needs extra caution because us tinters use heat to tint the windows
Old 09-02-11, 11:00 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

anyone knows what is a fair price for just tinting the front two windows? I live in Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 09-06-11, 09:06 AM
ChocoSpidr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by starknight
anyone knows what is a fair price for just tinting the front two windows? I live in Rancho Cucamonga.
Shouldn't be more than $90 for 2 fronts, unless your going with the expensive IR rejecting films.
Old 09-06-11, 10:05 AM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by starknight
should range anywhere from 60-120

and btw all films block out IR. its just another way for other films to try and market their films as being better. TSER is the number you are really looking for
Old 09-13-11, 08:52 AM
ChocoSpidr
Driver School Candidate

should range anywhere from 60-120

and btw all films block out IR. its just another way for other films to try and market their films as being better. TSER is the number you are really looking for
Actually all decent films block UV not IR, only spectrally selective films block IR.
Old 09-13-11, 09:27 AM
VIPtint
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ChocoSpidr
Actually all decent films block UV not IR, only spectrally selective films block IR.
not true. they all block out IR as well. the better films just block out more.

however it all depends on the spectrum of IR that is blocked. the band of IR is pretty broad and all manufacturers spec their highest blockage regardless if its within the spectrum of IR of natural light. so its kind of misleading. TSER it "total solar energy rejected". films that block IR are actually high absorbers.

window film can do 3 things with the heat:
transmit it
absorb it
reflect it

it can get pretty damn complicated. on residential and commercial buildings we cant use films that absorb over a certain amount, we have to use films that reflect. huper was the first res/comm company to promote their products on auto. but as you probably know they are slightly reflective. reflective isnt desired in the auto industry so most manufacturers have resorted to IR absorbers. so the heat is held in the glass which still heats up the car and will actually shorten the lifetime of the tint IMHO.

Last edited by VIPtint; 09-13-11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 01:00 PM
ibedizzy
Driver School Candidate

i went to tint connection in costa mesa. 13% all around. they use good quality tint--i believe it's solar gard. according to the jim, the owner, he did the tint on kobe bryant's wife's car. i had a good experience when i took my old integra there years ago, but they cut into the rubber lining around the windows on my IS. jim claimed that it wasn't them--that they don't trace and cut the tint along the outside of the car--but he did get newport lexus to fix it for me for free. but when i took the car back to the get the tint redone on the driver side window [there was a large scratch in it], they accidentally sliced into the rubber lining again. it wasn't too noticeable, so it wasn't worth complaining about. but i won't be taking my car back there again.
Old 10-03-11, 03:26 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

just remember peeps, its not always just the BRAND of tint, but also the LINE of tint they are using. you can ask the shop what line of film they use, then refer to that brands website.

everybody does a lot of research about the parts they put on their car. tint should be the same way.

every brand out there makes at least 5 different lines of film, ranging from super cheap (the kind they sell to the $99 shops) to premium films (like nano and ceramic films which normally cost $500+ per car)

you can also call the manufacturer to confirm if certain shops carry their film. there are many shops out there that advertise brands they dont even carry.

i hate it when i get mad customers from other shops complaining about their film. they say they got so and so, and i tell them that they basically got ripped off.
Old 10-03-11, 03:39 PM
VIPtint
Pole Position

you know what ill make it easier. here are the links of the most common films used out there.
well atleast the better ones:

llumar
3M
solargard
huper
formula one
madico
hanita
suntek
johnson
Old 10-13-11, 11:44 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

very good information in this thread! i've read on other threads about windshield tinting here in socal. i've also heard about clear tint on windshield. does it exist?

i really want the windshield filmed to block UV and such, it doesn't have to have a tint to it at all. what are my options?

Quick Reply: Official SoCal tint thread