Official SoCal tint thread - Page 66 - Club Lexus Forums

Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Local Chapters and Regional Forums > CL of Southern California

Official SoCal tint thread

Old 07-22-15, 10:18 PM   #976
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
Will you be able to see anything out front with 35%?

I want to get some really light tint for the front, but seems like it won't be optically clear for night time driving.
Tint on the front windshield does distort the light from oncoming cars, but it really depends on the angle of the glass. It's like wearing polarized sunglasses and looking through your side windows. It's slightly distorted, but you can get used to it.

Quote:
It's light compared to most limo tint, but I can't image driving at night with 35%. Maybe your vision is better than mine, or my neighborhood is dimmly lit.
It's definitely because of your neighborhood.
Blkexcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 09:38 AM   #977
store042
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Come down to my shop:
Tint World Hermosa Beach
1414 PCH, Hermosa Beach, CA

You can check out my car for a demo, I have 35% on my windshield. I love it, works great in the day and at night. There is an adjustment period, especially if you don't currently have any tint on your windshield, like mentioned earlier. I've had my windshield tinted for a couple years now with 50% and loved that. Decided to go darker about 3 months ago with the 35%. It's just a lot more noticeable from the outside, so you have to be careful with cops. So I recommend sticking with 50-55%. And we use the higher end film, Carbon or Nano Carbon XP for the windshields for better optical clarity.
Hope that helps.
store042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 10:07 AM   #978
GSteg
Rookie
Trader Score: (14)

W00t! Getting some tint installed next week. 3m Crystalline 90% for the windshield and 70% for the two front doors. Was quoted $500 at Campbell Tint in Huntington Beach. Slightly cheaper than other places I've looked at.
Old 08-09-15, 01:24 AM   #979
tea
Lead Lap

Quote:
W00t! Getting some tint installed next week. 3m Crystalline 90% for the windshield and 70% for the two front doors. Was quoted $500 at Campbell Tint in Huntington Beach. Slightly cheaper than other places I've looked at.
what about the rear windows?
tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 10:32 AM   #980
GSteg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea View Post
what about the rear windows?
I didn't ask about the rear windows. It's factory tinted so I don't want the rears to be darker than they are now.
Old 08-17-15, 09:03 AM   #981
store042
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if they explained this to you GSteg, anything from the factory that's a tempered glass like what they would put on SUV'S and trucks is just a privacy glass. There is very minimal UV and heat rejection. The only way you block UV A & B is by putting a film on it. What we usually do is just put a lighter film on the back over the tempered if the customer doesn't want it to be much darker then it is.
store042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 10:54 PM   #982
GSteg
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by store042 View Post
Not sure if they explained this to you GSteg, anything from the factory that's a tempered glass like what they would put on SUV'S and trucks is just a privacy glass. There is very minimal UV and heat rejection. The only way you block UV A & B is by putting a film on it. What we usually do is just put a lighter film on the back over the tempered if the customer doesn't want it to be much darker then it is.
Actually, the factory windows (newer Lexus) blocks up to 92% UV. Obviously not as good 99% from having quality tint, but hardly what I would call 'minimal." My rear glasses are already dark so I'm against putting anything in the back, even if it's 90% tint. Rarely do I have any passengers so it's not worthwhile to spend another $500.

I took a trip to Vegas last weekend and the outside temp was 105F with the sun beaming strong over us. The A/C was set to 70F and the blower was maybe on the 2nd lowest setting. Didn't feel uncomfortable at all! In fact, I had to turn it up to 72 occasionally because it was getting too cold in the vehicle.